rodbird

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fortec Star Passion
80cm Mesh Dish
OK Stop Laughing
My Location
Cumbernauld
Newbie to this subject so forgive me if I'm in the wrong forum. Should I be able to plug one of my Sky twin digital feeds into a Silvercrest SL 65 and expect to receive a signal? It has various satelites pre programmed and list one Astra satellite but its at 19o. Tried tuning all the listed satellites but always get "no signal" notice. Pointer in the right direction appreciated. I'm in Central Scotland and the dish worked perfectly with the sky digibox.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
:-Welcome1

rodbird said:
Should I be able to plug one of my Sky twin digital feeds into a Silvercrest SL 65 and expect to receive a signal?

Yes.. See below

It has various satelites pre programmed and list one Astra satellite but its at 19o.

Sky is at position 28.2 East on Astra the Astra listed is at 19.2 East.

That's why you are not clearing any channels. You will have to use the scan function on your SL65 to scan 28.2 East for the frequencies.

System installation > Add satellite option

As this position carries a lot of encrypted channels your box will not clear - best to use the Scan only Free option.

This will save you going through lots of blank channels.

rodbird

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fortec Star Passion
80cm Mesh Dish
OK Stop Laughing
My Location
Cumbernauld
Ok I found Astra28e in the satellite lists and tried to tune it automatically and manually but got "service not collected" notice. I put a sat finder meter on the feed and there is a signal there. It does not seem to matter what satellite I pick the tuning always reports no signal and the signal strength bar never moves.

Is this the end of my foray into satellite reception? Has anyone else managed to get the SL 65 to work with a Sky twin digital minidish? TIA

ch3

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Silvercrest/Lidl SL65 Receiver. Sky analogue mesh 60cm dish.
My Location
London, UK
Hi,

Yes I have. Ventured to Lidl this morning but they had run out of the full set, so I picked up the SL65, LNB and sat finder. So I need to get a dish now.

Plugged in one of my feeds from the Sky+ box and I had channels on Astra 28.2 E, as expected. This were pre-programmed in, along with some other satellites. They appears to be mainly the BBC and other freebies, which again you'd expect I think. Only thing I can't work out is why I'm getting 73% signal on Astra 1B 19.2 E, but no picture or sound. I thought I'd get nothing from other satellites, although perhaps the signal is just a red-herring..

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Yes, as mentioned in other threads, they have transponders in common, so you will get a false signal reading, a dish is not like an aerial, it will not receive what it is not precisely (withing half a degree) pointing at.