Sky Digital, What is your opinion?

mc solaar

Reaction score
i like sky digital very much speacially the movies (sky movie max and sky premier and also bravo channel , reality TV and some other internaining channels

Irish Kev

Beauty Quenn
Reaction score
My Location
Vienna
Have had it now a couple of years and would be lost without it.Its a pity they keep putting up the price but the footy coverage is very good

Rectalwarez

Reaction score
I have Chorus(Irish cable company). Ntl doesnt operate outside of Dublin, (im in meath) the only other option is Sky digital. With Chorus u pay an extra 30euro a month to get either the movie channels or the sports channels. Its too much. As for sky its 70euro a month & installation cost. Also u must have a Ph line otherwise they wont allow u to get it...grrr.....

newbie123

Reaction score
rolfw said:
So what do you really think?

If your option isn't there, then post your reply here and if it is a significantly different option I will add it.
i have sky digital, but will cancel when my contract expires

Likvid

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
Funny you say that because i hate Viasat channels, they are really crappy, specially the movie channels TV1000 and so on, however Canal Digital is very good.

I can't wait to get Sky Digital, just waiting to install my dish.

twag42 said:
the channels on viasat are much better and they are FREE!!!!!

TWAG

Salty25

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+ Pace v3, and before that analouge 80cm dish with Prima by Pace box pointed at 19.2e (not very imaginative then!)
My Location
Colchester, Essex
sky is too expensive, and its our fault when u think bout it!

they were strugglin til they merged with bsb n got the premiership. had we not paid out for it at that point, sky would have folded n we'd have a much cheaper alternative by now.

i remember my dad complaining when the subscription went up from £10 to £15 a month, now its £40 n gettin higher almost annually!

Milkybarkid

Reaction score
I cancelled after the first year and haven't missed it. Happy to have the gear for the £1 install though and do watch the FTA and listen to the radio stations.
I don't think it's was a bad deal for me,and Rupert was the first one to put his money where his mouth is and bring digital sat to the UK so I have no beef with him.
I think he's and excellent business man.

learning

Reaction score
My Location
central southern england
Never done anything original. They wait until a Show is a hit on terrestial then steal it. It is probably illegal under eu rules as all subscribers are subsidising sky sports deals to buy up all sporting events.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
Milkybarkid said:
Rupert was the first one to put his money where his mouth is and bring digital sat to the UK

Think you will find that BSB (British Satellite Broadcasting) transmitted in DMAC - digital while old Rupert was still using analogue PAL from Astra.

Their Marcopolo satellites (they had two for five channels!) were later sold one becoming Thor and the other Sirius.

les74

Reaction score
Yes bsb had the best system,but rupert beat them to the post if I remember corectly, and they were in anologue all them nice sparklys,I was one of the first to sign up for a video decrypt decoder (when rupert was testing and one of the last to get one I think).In the end I went to the local depot and picked mine up! as they started scrambling at certain times and I was unable to watch. thats going back a few years now! wonder how many.

C

ctomer

I'd happily pay for my TV if I had choice. I want to watch French football but Canal+ are not allowed to provide me with a subscription. Even if Sky did show any French football, it would not be shown with French commentary. So, Sky is of no use to me, and I can't get C+. So what to do? Buy equipment necessary to open various pay channels.

Likvid

Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
My first U.K channel i ever received was on my 1.8m dish in 1983 and Sky Channel which is the mother of all U.K channels today.

It was broadcasted in OAK encryption system and they only allowed it to be received if there were like 15 or more households i think, however i got a good contact with a distributor who in some way had contacts within Sky which allowed me to get the official decoder which costed me like £500....

It was great times and the showed all american 70's shows.....

It was broadcasted from the first ever Eutelsat satellite called ECS-F1 at 13 degrees East.

I remember BSB as well as i had a english friend who fixed the contract for me, i visited him in Leeds and we went down to the local sat-shop in the small village he lived in outside Leeds.

He signed the contract and i got at the same time a nice vacation at his place.

As you rember you had to authorize the BSB receiver by calling BSB and telling them your authorization number.

In Sweden where i live the footprint from the Marcopolo satellite was weak and i used my 3 meter dish to get signal, it was impossible with anything smaller, maybe 2.4m was ok at minimum.

Anyway, it was nice when i called my friend from Sweden and told him to call BSB, after 10 minutes i got all channels on my telly...

Hehehehe...it was really great times.....

RedDevil_UK

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000S, VU+ Solo2, 1.1m Dish, Moteck SG-2100A DISEQC Motor
My Location
Rochdale
the thing with sky is..... its not the quality of programmes that people complain about, its the price... pure and simple.

if the full package was £19.99 i do think nearly everyone would have it. and charging extra for sky plus... thats just extracting the urine!!!

just because you have the ability to record stuff..... what next the TV licence is an extra £120 a year to people with Video recorders?? its just the same isnt it.

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
MAC was the new tx standard chosen by the EU (to protect European electronics manufacturers, by charging royalties for stuff made outside the EU!). Theoretically, Murdoch shouldn't have broadcast in PAL at all, but Mrs Thatcher "allowed" it.

BSB was a complete non-starter, pretty much a fantasy, "vapourware". The MAC chipsets were a long time coming, and the "squarial" never worked at all!

longreach

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Chaparral receiver Irte 1.8m Dish
Murdoch killed the road map to High Definition Television 1250 lines!
spiney said:
MAC was the new tx standard chosen by the EU (to protect European electronics manufacturers, by charging royalties for stuff made outside the EU!). Theoretically, Murdoch shouldn't have broadcast in PAL at all, but Mrs Thatcher "allowed" it.

BSB was a complete non-starter, pretty much a fantasy, "vapourware". The MAC chipsets were a long time coming, and the "squarial" never worked at all!

Likvid

Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
You are too rich in the U.K, so you are paying Mr Murdoch whatever he wants and he knows that.

J

Jeff_19341

Very right Likvid, too many people over here being ripped off without them realising it. Who really wants 100's of useless channels, most of them selling direct or interupted every now and again trying to sell goods? People pay for that priviledge, madness. One of the problems being that we seem to be too TV orientated.

Nothing to watch? Then turn on the radio, read a book or magazine, go for a walk, help the kids with their homework, go to bed early with the missus and have some rumpy pumpy:) .

Likvid

Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
I have Sky Movie World now after all people praised it was the best package of them all.

To be honest now after having it for 1 month i must say i am not that impressed with the contents.

First of all, the movie channels almost only show old movies and they repeat them very often, the other thing that is very annoying is that it seems very commercial to other packages in Europe, i am talking about the Shopping channels, i mean this must be a very good business in the UK? you seem to buy all shit just for cheap.

And another thing that is pretty annoying is that they have this "beep" every time people say some bad word, i like watching American Choppers on Discovery and they argue alot there with bad words, it gets pretty annoying hearing the "beeps" all the time.

What's the deal with that? in Scandinavia on Discovery they don't have beeps.

Another thing that is annoying was yesterday when they showed a Music video om TMF with some girls that had bikinis on the them, one of them had a string bikini and always when they showed the back of her they dimmed the butt so people wouldn't see everything.

It's like your Government is regulating ordinary peoples life with what they are allowed to watch and hear, it's crazy in 2005, i don't know any other country that have those regulations these days.

But, the music channels are excellent, large amount of choice and good music, big thumb up for that, also i like the Irish channels as well, they show good quality material.

That is my personal opionion of it, i like the +1Hrs on some channels also.

xanadu

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
I am getting Sky installed on thursday, as I was offered such a good deal, it would be rude to turn it down :D

I get all 6 Entertainment mixes for 12 months = £60 including new Digibox and free installation :D . Normal cost is £21/month

It was a special deal from work, so don't ask me how you can get same deal :D