sky dish behind window

jamie72

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sky plus
My Location
essex
hello guys,

I'm new to this site and wondring if someone could help me. does a sky dish work behind a window????

thx jamie

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
Welcome

It should but you will lose a lot of signal - bigger dish that outside required.

Do a search and you will find more information on this site.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
It'll probably work in good weather but, when it's raining, will not have enough reserve of signal strength and disappear.

As Gameboy says a bigger dish than normal will be needed inside. How big? Difficult to say. Double glazing loses more signal than single glazing, looking through the window at an angle effectively makes the glass thicker. Any reflective coatings reduce the signal strength. Etc, etc - you get the picture.

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
In general, yes, depending.... I get all my personal sat reception including Sky using a 40cm minidish behind a double glazed window. In london, the signal's slightly stronger, so you're better off than me!

Note that:

1 It helps if the window directly faces the sat you're trying to get. If the pointing angle is oblique, then there's some extra atteunation, though it still works, and you should be ok anyway with Sky (i get Sky fine at about 20 degrees to glass surface, with the window facing slightly East.).

2 Window glass is usually Pilkington manufactured (perfectly flat!), so there's no ripple distorition of the wavefront, but some glasses seem to attenuate sat high band a bit more.

3 If doing this for Sky, you'd be safer getting a zone 2 60cm SKy dish, as mentioned above, in case of attenuation difficulties with hi band, which can't be predicted so you just have to try it!