Sky dish height requirement

stuartfurniss

Reaction score
Hi

I am thinking about getting Sky+ installed in the near future. At the moment i have NTL but am becoming increasingly frustrated by there lack of support and cost.

The problem i have is i am not allowed a dish on my property. I have looked at the digiglobe option but i am not convinced that this will work with Sky+ and multiroom package.

Therefore i have decided to go ahead with installing the Sky dish in my back garden where no-one can see it.

Basically what i need to know is this...

Is there a minimum height required to erect the dish. I have heard that you could erect a dish at ground level and pick up a signal. Is this true?

If it can be put at ground level are there any problems with signal strength etc....

w hole

Reaction score
My Location
uk
Hello SF

No problem being at ground level [except occasionally with heavy rain splashing].

All you need is a direct line of sight to the Satellite, so you would need to be sure there were no high buildings to the South East of you.

If you can say which part of UK/Ireland you are in further advice may be available

Regards

W. Hole

stuartfurniss

Reaction score
i am living in Caterham, Surrey...

w hole said:
Hello SF

No problem being at ground level [except occasionally with heavy rain splashing].

All you need is a direct line of sight to the Satellite, so you would need to be sure there were no high buildings to the South East of you.

If you can say which part of UK/Ireland you are in further advice may be available

Regards

W. Hole

AForester

01LD1E
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
a variety of lnb's (5), dishes (2), diseqc motors (3) and receivers (4).
My Location
East of Cambridge (GB).
Hi

For Caterham, the elevation to 28east is approx 25 degrees. If you ground mount you should be able to clear a 6ft high fence 13/14 feet away. Trouble with ground mounts is that they can be tripped over causing painfull accidents and loss of signal due to dish being knocked off of position. In addition cats/dogs like to "spray" them, also children like to swing/sit on the lnb arm :ny

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Stuart - Ive got 2 old 80cm dishes sitting on old car tyres at the bottom of my garden. Ones aligned on 13E, the other on 19E. I get superb reception from both of them. (However they did get blown over in the gales earlier this week) :D

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Analoguesat said:
(However they did get blown over in the gales earlier this week) :D

That's only 'cos they're cheap remoulds... :)