Sky Dish, T-Rex V4.6, S2-3200, Cas 3! Any advice?

pnag

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
AMD 4200 X2, ATI X1800XL, Technotrend S2-3200 & CI, but no CAM! What to buy..?
My Location
Ireland
Hi folks,

I've got a stationary Sky Dish (1 LN:cool: at the moment, hope to get a decent motorised DiSeq dish in the nearish future...

I've built a media center (nice dual core, decent graphics card etc) with a Technotrend S2-3200 and CAM. Got myself a T-Rex Supermodule V4.6 and a Duolabs CAS 3+ programmer. I've also got a legit Sky sub too.

I guess my question is, what now? I've been trying to piece together some kind of tutorial, and don't really know where to start! I've been successful in using DVBViewer for FTA channels, including BBC-HD, but dunno where to even begin next.

Anyone point me in the right direction? I've had a look at duwgati, but it seems to focus more on how things work, rather than getting something working. What should I try? Are there other satellites I can pick up other than Astra 2D? Any and all advice welcome, and believe me I have searched but am a bit overwhelmed!

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
The T-Rex 4.6 is currently opening 2 good packages on Astra1 19.2E, Premiere and Digital +, you can find a full list of the channels available on lyngsat.com. You can also get Digital + on 30W along with Cabo.
You need to load Predasaur 215, which is easy enough with the Cas 3, download predasaur 215 from satellitekinder.com, then start up your Cas 8.1b software, click on the Cam Module tab, at the top, Other Cams and T-Rex Super logo.
Insert your Cam and click on the little icon next to the Start Update, navigate to Predassaur215.dar and click on start update.
To open Premiere you need to carry out the security update, go into the Cams menu and click security update.
For D+ and Cabo you need to update the keys, this is easilly done using the Cams menu and navigating to debug, OhlAladin, the required provider, D+ and inputting the relevant new key.
All this is academic until you get a dish for Astra1 or better a motorised set up.

pnag

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Ireland
Aha! Will do, and thanks so much for your help! Makes a lot more sense now.

Wonder if I'll get any HD channels? I'll have to check out lyngsat so! :) Thanks!

pnag

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Ireland
Oh, one more thing! :)

Could you recommend a decent motorised dish? Size etc?

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
It all depends on where you need to site the dish, wall or ground mount, to get the most out of it, and your local regulations for the maximum size dish you can install, without planning permission.
You really want the dish to be capable of picking up 45E to 30W, as there are a lot of satellites, in between, worth picking up.
In most of England the regulations have changed to allow up to a 1 metre dish, without planning permission, which has led to a few people getting the Triax 110 dish, slightly over the limit, but unless someone complains, and the council send someone to measure it, they usually get away with it.
I would recommend you get a good quality dish, and motor, as you no doubt will upgrade your receiver, at some point, but we usually stick with the same dish.
Check the internet, for your local regulations, on installing satellite dishes and then post back, with what size you're allowed and where you need to site it.

pnag

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Ireland
Hello again!

I'm in Co. Kildare, Ireland, and as far as I've been able to make out it's a 1m dish here too. (Will try to get 100% confirmation on that!)

The receiver will be my DVB-S/2 Technotrend S2-3200 PCI card, so I hope that's not a problem? If I could get some kind of free standing dish with an option to mount it too?

And really, thanks so much for your help - you're a mine of information, and very nice too!

Cheers!