SKY dishes (how big are they)?

dockerslund26

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
uh::no
How "big" are the SKY dishes that you see everywhere (the egg shaped black ones)?
Is it the same as a 50cm or a 60cm dish? Or less?
I'm thinking about bringing one back (+ a SKY box) to Denmark, so my Dad can watch the channels from Astra2 - 11973 V (ZEE TV, ARY DIGITAL).
On the footprintspage for 2B South, 50cm just covers the part of Denmark where my parents live. Would feel more safe if the dishsize was the same as a 60cm dish.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
The standard Sky minidish is 43 cm, but they do something called a zone 2 dish which is 63 cm wide and performs nearly as well as an 80 cm dish. I use one of these on my motorised system and it pulls in most of the satellites where an 80 cm would normally be required.

dockerslund26

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
uh::no
Thanx for the quick reply, Rolf.
You write that the zone2 dish, which is 63 cm wide, performs nearly as well as an 80 cm dish.
What about the 43 cm one? Does it perform nearly as well as a 60 cm?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
The standard minidish does perform close to a 60cm, but bear in mind that for the far north of the UK a zone 2 is required, so should be at least the same in Denmark. They are not dissimilar in price either.