Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Maidenhead, UK & Helsinki, Finland
My parent's Sky DRX595 (the HD box with no hard drive) crashed the other day with a blank screen and just the audio playing. Normally, a power cycle sorts this out but this time when rebooted it wouldn't come back on. All it does now is show the "Sky please wait" message for a few seconds every 10 minutes or so and goes back to black as if it can't quite get past the first part of the startup sequence and tries again endlessly. The red standby light never turns green.

I've tried booting it up without a Sky card (as suggested by someone on another forum), booting with just the power cable and HDMI plugged in, leaving it to cool down, leaving it cycling through the boot up phase for a hour, and even forcing a firmware update using the backup button at power up (which it seemed to do as normal with the usual "do not switch off for 10 minutes" etc thing).

Anyone got any ideas on what else I could try or is it now a doorstop? It's only 10 months old so it's a bit disappointing for this to happen so soon especially as it's a very sensitive receiver.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Power Supply Smoothing Capacitor replacement kit is a good bet.

Then, of course,there is Sky's own advice - do a Forced Download of Firmware.

_http://www.sky.com/helpcentre/tv/sky-hd/picture-problems/box-stuck-in-standby/

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Yeah, tried the forced download and it seemed to complete OK but it didn't make any difference.

Having avoided Thompson boxes in the past I was hoping not to have to mess about with capacitors. It doesn't look easy to get into. Tempted to just sell it on eBay as a box for spare parts.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Its normally easy to tell if the caps are shot - pop the top off and have a look for evidence of bulging or leaking caps around the psu area..

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
On the official Sky forum there is a post that describes how to get into the box, so I might give it a go when I have a spare moment and see what the condition of the insides are like.

Still thinking eBay is looking like the best place to sell and buy a new one, there's loads on offer.

Not stressing too much over this as I've kindly donated my DRX595 to my parents and gone back to using the ever reliable Pace 2600C1 myself since I don't have the HD pack anyway...

jim1974

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800 / Fixed 28`
My Location
South Central UK
Well if it is only 10 months old, you are lucky as it is still under warranty.

Make a phone call and let someone else sort the problem out while you make them a coffee...

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Ah, yes - get it replaced with a "refurbished" box of unknown provenance.

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
The box is not in the UK ;)

jim1974

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800 / Fixed 28`
My Location
South Central UK
Tivù said:
Ah, yes - get it replaced with a "refurbished" box of unknown provenance.

But surely it will be a working box nonetheless, which has got to be an improvement whichever way you look at it surely?

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
It should be, but on so many occasions these "refurbs" are not worthy of the description and "recycled without repair" would in some cases be a better description.

There are far, far two many reports of "refurbs" being faulty themselves - often from the moment of installation.

Far better would be for BSkyB to insist upon better quality control by Manufacturers (One of which they now have a direct stake in) and in particular to ensure that components (eg Electrolytic Capacitors) are of suitable reliability.

It's false economy to produce and supply cheap tat when Service Calls and Customer Satisfaction are taken into account.

This has been a problem for many years now.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Tivù said:
It's false economy ... Calls...
Lots of money to be made by $ly with their 0844 (or is it an even worse 0843?) telephone numbers for when you have to ring up when something goes wrong.

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Sorry to bring up this old thread of mine, but I thought I'd let you know I finally got the DRX595 working today!

I thought that now that the new R010 firmware is available during forced updates it wouldn't hurt to give the box another go at updating and it worked! Not sure if I was just lucky this time or if the new firmware overwrote something bad from the old firmware version but it's working again as normal. I did try a forced update a couple of months ago when it was R090 but it still wasn't working even though that would also have been a different version to what was on the box.