Sky falling as price hike bites...

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
Shares in pay-TV firm BSkyB fell 4.4 percent on Friday to £5.04p after the market reacted negatively to subscriber numbers.

The company said it added 57,000 net subscribers in the first quarter, below analyst expectations, as a higher percentage of customers left the service following a price increase.

Pre-tax profit rose 13.6 percent to 200 million pounds, and revenue climbed 8 percent to 1.023 billion pounds.

Churn, or the percentage of customers who left the service, rose to 11.7 percent, up from 10.5 percent in the previous quarter.

Analysts on average expected Sky to add 67,900 subscribers, according to a poll of 10 brokerages by Reuters, and churn of 10.7 percent.

Chief Executive James Murdoch said the company is on track to meet its targets of 8 million subscribers by the end of 2005 and 10 million by the end of 2010.

It currently has 7.8 million subscribers.

Source: Reuters

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
As a shareholder this is not good news...

They company increase profit to £200 million a rise of 13.6%!

Turnover is up to £1.023 billion!

And the share price drops over 4%!!!!

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
gameboy said:
And the share price drops over 4%!!!!
Then surely this is the time to buy some more shares? :D

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Ah but their churn rate appears to be rising, they need to decrease the cancellations.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Scotland
PaulR said:
Then surely this is the time to buy some more shares? :D

After holding them for a number of years I am still losing.

Despite making millions they have paid only one dividend.

They narrowly won the vote on the shares buy back today.

News Corp. in action...

I would advise you to steer clear - MR M is making the money....

J

Jeff_19341

The statement that I like is "Churn, or the percentage of customers who left the service, rose to 11.7 percent, up from 10.5 percent in the previous quarter.", may it continue to rise:D .
Users are finally seeing the light and voting with their feet.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Scotland
JuMbuCk said:
The statement that I like is "Churn, or the percentage of customers who left the service, rose to 11.7 percent

11.7% of the existing subscribers is over 889,000 - now that's a lot of cancellations - no wonder they're worried (shareholders).

On the other hand they may offer Sky+ boxes cheap or free soon. Good new for Sky - bad news for Pace (shareholders in Pace have taken a pounding over the last few years) don't get me started on that one....

These figures don't take account of the users that cut back on their subscriptions.

But the price rise has covered this and the ones that are left are paying!

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
They have not sussed out why people are leaving in droves. How many adverts on TV harp on about looking after your existing customers. In all the time I have been with Sky IMHO they have never looked after me, they have offered new subscribers better and cheaper packages and since I finally cancelled my full subscription two years ago not once have they telephoned me to offer me a deal of any kind.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Scotland
toppervte33h said:
they have never looked after me, they have offered new subscribers better and cheaper packages

Seems to be the latest business model - fewer customers, paying more.

Less receivers to maintain, engineers, help desk, back room staff to employ...