Sky HD in Cyrpus

yan75

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2.4m dish, Pace 2600, 0.5dB universal quad Invacom LNB (Limassol)
4.2m dish Pace 2600 0.3dB universal quad invacom LNB. (Larnaca)
Slingbox HD.
My Location
Cyprus Limassol
I am considering purchasing the new sky HD dedcoder, but I saw in the terms and conditions that the telephone line needs to be connected for 12 months?

Can I get around this?

Does anyone know anything about this tuner if it is good in fringe reception areas? Also are the HD channels are available in Cyrpus? Im not sure which transponders they are on, anyone know?

Yan

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Unfortunately nobody as far as I know has got one of these receivers, as they are at this time only available to be installed by Sky, so nobody will know how good they are for fringe reception.

I would guess that you will have to wait until they are available in the general market place to avoid having the telephone connection.

Zorba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3m(28.2E),1.5m(19.2E.13E,10E),1m (4W ,7W)1m (?).diseqc 10,sky plus,VU+,telergy iptv.
Satlook nit colour + Horizon hdsm.
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
if you go through tv guide and select the hd channels that are transmitting now, you will know if we can receive it,if it doesnt say no signal.the normal sky plus work here without phone line connected so i presume the hd will also.i guess you get the new box first,put your card in and then call sky and tell them to transfer to the new box.But i think they charge ten pounds per month on top ,for hd reception.

geoffreys

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Satellite Setup
Famaval 2.4m dish, Invacom 0.2dB LNB (single), Pace 430N
My Location
Famagusta District, Cyprus
zorba said:
if you go through tv guide and select the hd channels that are transmitting now, you will know if we can receive it,if it doesnt say no signal.the normal sky plus work here without phone line connected so i presume the hd will also.i guess you get the new box first,put your card in and then call sky and tell them to transfer to the new box.But i think they charge ten pounds per month on top ,for hd reception.

Yes, that is correct. No problem if your current subscription is from a UK address. Don't forget the GBP299 you have to pay for the box. All the currently listed (on the EPG) HD channels are available in Cyprus.
Geoff
Sunny Cyprus.

yan75

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2.4m dish, Pace 2600, 0.5dB universal quad Invacom LNB (Limassol)
4.2m dish Pace 2600 0.3dB universal quad invacom LNB. (Larnaca)
Slingbox HD.
My Location
Cyprus Limassol
Thanks for the replies, my subscription is from the UK.

Just to clarify if I buy the box from the UK I will be able to transfer my current card to the HD box to marry them together and then I wont have to connect the phone line? Or is there no way around the phone line issue?

Thanks
Yan

geoffreys

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Satellite Setup
Famaval 2.4m dish, Invacom 0.2dB LNB (single), Pace 430N
My Location
Famagusta District, Cyprus
yan75 said:
Thanks for the replies, my subscription is from the UK.

Just to clarify if I buy the box from the UK I will be able to transfer my current card to the HD box to marry them together and then I wont have to connect the phone line? Or is there no way around the phone line issue?

Thanks
Yan
Hi Yan.
You have the 2 boxes (the Digibox + the HD box), each with it's own card.
They are both billed to your existing a/c. The HD card will be sent to your UK address, then you bring it out or have it posted out. As you would be paying for the HD box (£299) there is no obligation to have a phone line connected - but for SKY's 'records' about you etc you give them your UK phone number, even if you don't (which you won't be!) connecting it to either box. You won't want a SKY installer coming round to the UK address either - so when you order the HD box tell them you have your own installer. Shouldn't be a problem. If you are in UK even easier. Let him come and install it; then disconnect it and hand-carry it out to sunny (yipee!) Cyprus. SKY are not daft! They know there are 1000s of us expats tuning in. They don't care PROVIDED you do not tell them. If you tell them you are in Cyprus, Costas, wherever outside UK, then they have no option but to cancel your sub and switch the card off. Remember, the revenue from expat's subs (that they think is in UK, but don't wanna know about) is very considerable, and they are in business to make money. SKY staff take holidays around the EU etc, they see SKY being shown in bars etc.
Good Luck,
Geoff

bellandbottle

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Topfield TF 5800
My Location
Reading, England
Folks, off topic a bit for here, but I am trying to get in touch with simonskyman in order to help a friend of mine in Limassol. I visited him there last week and he was telling me about his problems receiving BBC etc. After reading quite a few posts, my feeling is that his dish is a bit small (1.5x1.8m). Simon does not have any contact information in his profile.

My e-mail is ianyoung@gotadsl.co.uk

Can you put me in touch?

Zorba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3m(28.2E),1.5m(19.2E.13E,10E),1m (4W ,7W)1m (?).diseqc 10,sky plus,VU+,telergy iptv.
Satlook nit colour + Horizon hdsm.
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
Hi bellandbottle I have sent you a PM :)