Sky HD - Technical Question

Hugo1234

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sony Bravia 40" shipped from USA.
My Location
Birmingham, UK
I am having great difficluty getting a straight answer to a simple question when I ask Sky or a store engineer.

The question is this:

IF one has a Sky HD box connected and working AND one then disconnects ONE of the dual-input feeds from the dish, WHAT functionality will they lose?

Does it depend upon WHICH of the to inputs are disconnected?

Could one install a Sky HD box with just a single feed and only lose the ability to record or what?

Most engineers I ask in the store are clueless and Sky staff seem to not understand or know, I have a degree in electronics from many years ago, so although I am very rusty, the question itself does not appear hard.

Any help MUCH appreciated.

Hugh

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
You can install any twin tuner receiver with only the first feed enabled, but it will affect the recording capabilities. With a Sky HD box, the first tuner always needs a working feed, otherwise the EPG will not load, I have tried recording on a Sky+ box with only the first tuner connected, but the recordings invariably failed. Why do you ask?

Hugo1234

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sony Bravia 40" shipped from USA.
My Location
Birmingham, UK
Hi Thanks for getting back.

Well its a littlle unsual. I brought our Sony Bravia set over from US (we are living in Uk for a few years) and expected we could get cable and hook up set using HDMI.

However, we have no cable here and a single sat feed (its a shared apartment building).

So I need a box that has HDMI outlets (US sets do not have SCART).

I have tried alomost every possible way of hooking up the set, all to no avail, I tried SCART/RGB converters etc but nothing works, naturally I cant use the RF input on TV because TV is NTSC not PAL.

Right no we have a superb 42" 1920x1080 HD set hooked up to a basic Sky service with S-Video! The picture is black n white and I'm totally out of ideas.

We'd love to get Sky HD and forgo the recording if we can use HDMI, and your answer suggests this will be possible.

Thanks for info.

Hugh

ericmange

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1,4 m prime focus dish, moveable
0,9 m Gregorian dish, fixed at 8W
0,8 offset dish fixed 28E
Receivers Monetery 140
Nokia 9500 DVB200
Comp: Skystar2 ProgDVB

My Location
Netherlands
If HDMI will not work, you could try buying a PAL to NTSC modulator.
Connect fom the SKY set to the modulator via SCART.
Usually modulators do have RGB out connectors, so than you could reach your tv set that way.
If you do it that way your icture may not be HDhttp://www.satellites.co.uk/php-bin/forum/images/smilies/mad.gif , but at least your sound is stereohttp://www.satellites.co.uk/php-bin/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif.

Cupart

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Hey Hugh,

And welcome to the "old" contry.

If you're staying in Europe for the next couple of years, why don't you just invest in a new LCD screen and sell the US Bravia that you have? New TV's don't cost that much any more and you will be without head aches for quite some time to come. By the time you're heading back to the US you'll most likely need to upgrade anyway...

(this is most likely besides the point, so I apologise)