Sky HDTV Rip Off shock!

Shahid

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sony KLV26HG2 LCD TV, Humax HD-CI 2000 on a Fixed Sky/Astra/Hotbird.
Cerebro Card. Infinity USB Phonix. Dragon Cam v4.1 w/Firecrypt & Loader Card.
My Location
London UK
I was pondering of geting Sky HDTV. I assumed i will pay £299 for the box and get 2 mix packages which wil work out £15pm subs. Plus another £10 for the fee for recording onto the PVR

The Entertain Mix contains Sky One I thought the HDTV verssion comes within the pack. To my Shock you have to pay a £10 just for the HD channels/ Working out a expensive £35pm. Sky HDTV can stick there HDTV up there backsides now. I will stick with SD. They are such greedy people. Or I will wait for the box on its own and view the FREE TO AIR BBC HD when its available. Sky have shot themselves in the foot. I was well prepared to pay £25pm but £35. No way Hose!

Shahid.

Likvid

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
I can't understand people really pay that kinda money for that shit

It's ALOT of money for some channels.

digiguy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Channel Master 1.2 1224 H2H. Traix TD88. Sky+
Echostar 3600.
P4 2k. Broadband 2
My Location
Buckingamshire UK
Can't agree more. Esp when most of the programmes being shown on SKY ONC HD will be in SD as the material will be old. Wonder how much the HD upgrage of their playout areas cost? They have a emergancy studio near portsmouth, this would of been upgraded too. I wonder if this will prove to be a flop for them? Existing long term customers should be given this for free esp if you are a sky+ customer.

Such is life

Likvid

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
digiguy said:
Can't agree more. Esp when most of the programmes being shown on SKY ONC HD will be in SD as the material will be old. Wonder how much the HD upgrage of their playout areas cost? They have a emergancy studio near portsmouth, this would of been upgraded too. I wonder if this will prove to be a flop for them? Existing long term customers should be given this for free esp if you are a sky+ customer.

Such is life
Yes and the history repeats again as Murdoch killed the sat-market in Europe with locking customers to only receivers available from the provider.

In this case the consumer doesn't have a choice to what MPEG4 receiver he or she wants, you either pay £299 for the overpriced Sky box or shut up.

It's the same shit in my country with Viasat and Canal Digital who wants full control, at least it's not that overpriced as Sky.

Oily

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Satellite=Motorized Triax 88cm&a DM800HD with 500gb hd.Vu+ Duo
My Location
Radcliffe
My mate has just ordered HDTV,couldn't believe it when he said if you don't have sly movies you can't have the HD movies:eek:
i think he said same for the sport channels.

What a rip off

busbybass

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
/
My Location
Glasgow
Oily said:
My mate has just ordered HDTV,couldn't believe it when he said if you don't have sly movies you can't have the HD movies:eek:
i think he said same for the sport channels.

What a rip off

You only get the hd channels that are appropriate for your package, and the £10 HD fee includes the recording fee, to be honest, anyone getting sky HD box right now is stupid there aren't enough channels, and if you can afford to buy the box then you should be able to pay for the full subs thats the only way to get some kind of value out of it.

David0

Reaction score
Website
www.hostingphpbb.com
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD + Pace V2 FTA + Comag SL 55 85 CM dish.

Acer Aspire 1691
Intel Centrino M730 Processor 1.6 GHz 533MHz 2MB L2 cache
ATI X700 64 MB PCIE 512 MB DDR+2
80 GB HDD
15.4 IN
DVD RW DL
My Location
Clacton On Sea Essex
The price is very high for what your paying for.

But you can get the HD box much cheaper from ebay.

I got one for £175 the other day and the BBC HD channel is OK.

I wanted to upgrade my pace box V2 box to another sky + but thought you might as well pay a bit extra and get the HD box.

Sky wont be charging for the sky + sub next month so when more channels come on will pay the £10 HD sub

PJ02

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2m CM, 36v Positioner, DB7020Si.
Diablo, CAS3+
My Location
Cheshire
David0 said:
Sky wont be charging for the sky + sub next month

Brand New Customers Only i'm afraid.

Rgds

PJ

Cupart

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Nope... The Sky+ feature will be free for every subscriber.

h**p://www.sky.com/portal/site/skycom/products/equipment/skyplus/howtogetit

PJ02

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2m CM, 36v Positioner, DB7020Si.
Diablo, CAS3+
My Location
Cheshire
Saw someone else comment on that also, very interesting tbh, think i'll have to find a used box on ebay.

Thanks

PJ

Drunken_Ninja

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
none currently, using a Lenovo Laptop
My Location
Nicosia, Cyprus
seems the website has been updated... Sky+ is Free but HD is still £10 a month...

hxxp://www.sky.com/portal/site/skycom/products/equipment/hd

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Be careful about the type of guarantee you get from an auction purchase. I have seen Sky+ boxes work OK for a few days then pixellate badly, or have a graphics failure within a month or so.

To many of them have a manufacturing defect which nobody is able (or can be bothered ) to fix, and the duff ones end up collecting dust until they find a way out the back door.

colossuss

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Hi all regarding sky+HD if you shop around you can pick up a bargain.I have sky+HD and it only cost me £189.00 including install (install was £60.00) got this on a promotion at local euronics store. downside is the subs for all channels is £63.50pm