Sky in Cyprus

mill9

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate Tm-7755 + 13/19/28° - PC Pentium Windows XP Pro
My Location
UK
I am trying to help a friend who will have an appartment in Cyprus and wishes to get Sky if possible. What size dish is needed and is 2D a problem? Also are there restrictions on dish size? I have no problem with finding footprints but someone with experience on this would help. Thanks

geoffreys

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Satellite Setup
Famaval 2.4m dish, Invacom 0.2dB LNB (single), Pace 430N
My Location
Famagusta District, Cyprus
mill9 said:
I am trying to help a friend who will have an appartment in Cyprus and wishes to get Sky if possible. What size dish is needed and is 2D a problem? Also are there restrictions on dish size? I have no problem with finding footprints but someone with experience on this would help. Thanks

We need to know whereabouts in Cyprus your friend's apartment is, and I assume it is in south Cyprus rather than the north?. This determines what size dish he'll require, at the east end of Cyprus such as Ayia Napa/Protaras you'll need a 4.2m dish for all channels, in Paphos a 2.7m.Elsewhere maybe some size in between. A good 4.2m dish can cost anything up to GBP4K installed. Usually there are no restrictions on the size of dish you can erect, although some gated developments do impose some limits. You will find many previous threads on this website about SKY reception here in Cyprus by the way covering all aspects from dish size/price/suppliers to the best LNB/s to use and the best receivers for use here.
Geoff

mill9

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
It is beleived to be in Paphos and the information has been passed on. Thanks

geoffreys

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Satellite Setup
My Location
mill9 said:
It is beleived to be in Paphos and the information has been passed on. Thanks

OK on that. If it is in the Paphos area a 2.7m prime-focus dish should get all SKY channels 24/7. A suitable dish, with the right LNB, would cost about
CYP650 installed. A suitable SKY receiver can also be purchased here for around CYP200. He will need to subscribe to SKY from a UK address, and then hand-carry the card out to Cyprus. He should avoid any SKY subscription that makes it mandatory to connect a phone line to his SKY receiver (digibox). All in all not cheap, but at least SKY is receivable here. Actually most folks who just have a second/holiday home here do not bother - it tends to be permanant residents (like me) who go to the expense. For occasional visits a cheaper option is BBC Prime which you can have installed (complete) for around CYP150.
Cheers
Geoff

mill9

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Yes BBC Prime and BBC World are of course available and there is the Greek and Middle East satellites with all sorts of programmes but I wont go into that as this forum is not about that area. So will Astra 2D come into Paphos on a 2.7m dish as I believed it to be 4.2m?

geoffreys

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Satellite Setup
My Location
mill9 said:
Yes BBC Prime and BBC World are of course available and there is the Greek and Middle East satellites with all sorts of programmes but I wont go into that as this forum is not about that area. So will Astra 2D come into Paphos on a 2.7m dish as I believed it to be 4.2m?

Yes, at the west of the Island, in the Paphos area a 2.7m dish should get you all 2A/2B/and 2D channels 24/7. At the east of the Island, in Agia Napa/Protaras areas you need a bigger 4.2m dish. In the middle such as Limassol or Larnaca it varies - somewhere between 2.7 and 4.2m.

When I say 2.7m SHOULD get you the channels I assume a good quality dish and LNB, a receiver good for fringe area reception (which Cyprus is), and a good installer who can do the magic.
Geoff

geoffreys

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Satellite Setup
My Location
geoffreys said:
Yes, at the west of the Island, in the Paphos area a 2.7m dish should get you all 2A/2B/and 2D channels 24/7. At the east of the Island, in Agia Napa/Protaras areas you need a bigger 4.2m dish. In the middle such as Limassol or Larnaca it varies - somewhere between 2.7 and 4.2m.

When I say 2.7m SHOULD get you the channels I assume a good quality dish and LNB, a receiver good for fringe area reception (which Cyprus is), and a good installer who can do the magic.
Geoff

P.S. - Update
In today's local english language Cyprus sunday newspaper a supplier in
Paphos is offerring dish and SKY Digibox for CYP750/= installed. Seems good value, all you would then need is the SKY Card (from UK)
Geoff

mill9

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Thanks for update

Grande_Assiette

Reaction score
My Location
Uk and Cyprus -sometimes
Ah , but when you get the price for the card they work out MORE expensive than 3 installers I know of in Paphos...

Clever marketing..?

This company also claims it is "British"..

It is owned by a Cypriot.

and it's installs are by "British craftsmen" .. I pay my engineers 4 times what their "engineers" get.. work it out for yourselves !

GA

geoffreys said:
P.S. - Update
In today's local english language Cyprus sunday newspaper a supplier in
Paphos is offerring dish and SKY Digibox for CYP750/= installed. Seems good value, all you would then need is the SKY Card (from UK)
Geoff

rikksow

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Huge great Dish in Cyprus
My Location
Tomb Of the Kings
Have you any idea how much they are charging for a viewing card? I am in Paphos and i have heard nothing but good reports about this company. All the people i know who have had installations by this company have said how good they are & all the installers are British. I think it sounds like a bit of sour grapes to me and regardless of whether you pay 4 times the amount of their fitters which i seriously doubt I think it is in poor taste to slag a company off just for your own gain.

geoffreys

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Grande_Assiette said:
Ah , but when you get the price for the card they work out MORE expensive than 3 installers I know of in Paphos...

Clever marketing..?

This company also claims it is "British"..

It is owned by a Cypriot.

and it's installs are by "British craftsmen" .. I pay my engineers 4 times what their "engineers" get.. work it out for yourselves !

GA

I have no idea how good any of the Paphos area companies are - I merely reported the prices charged by one of them that advertised. Regards pay the actual rates paid mean nothing! Cypriots expect high pay regardless, but now Cyprus is an EU Member EU Citizens from other Member states can now work here and they are often prepared to work for much less pay. The best installers are found by recommendation, not their pay slip.
Geoff

iceman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3.0m Motorised Channel Master + 4 fixed dish Amstrad_DRX890C
DM7020s,DM800se
UNOHM EP314 PROMAX TV Explorer
My Location
Kyrenia - NORTH CYPRUS
geoffreys said:
A good 4.2m dish can cost anything up to GBP4K installed.

Well...I charge GBP2K for the same 4.2 dish (installed better) in Kyrenia North Cyprus... ;)

geoffreys

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Satellite Setup
My Location
iceman said:
Well...I charge GBP2K for the same 4.2 dish (installed better) in Kyrenia North Cyprus... ;)

I rest my case!!
Cheers,
Geoff.

iceman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3.0m Motorised Channel Master + 4 fixed dish Amstrad_DRX890C
DM7020s,DM800se
UNOHM EP314 PROMAX TV Explorer
My Location
Kyrenia - NORTH CYPRUS
@Geoff
Sometimes I am even accused of being expensive cos there is another installer doing it for GBP1800....I refuse to go below 2K cos my installlations are superior compared to the competition...the difference £200 is the difference between having trouble free 2D and NOT having 2D at all on some parts of the day... ;)

The 4.2 dishes used in South & North Cyprus are purchased from the same plant in Taiwan...Cost of shipment to North is MORE due to not being a reckognised state.. ;)

rikksow

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Huge great Dish in Cyprus
My Location
Tomb Of the Kings
Well said to the both of you, any company that has to advertise by belittling competition obviously is not very good. If you need to stoop that low rather than bigging up your own company certainly needs looking into. As you both stated that never mind the price or add ons etc feel the quality. As you well know here in Cyprus your reputation stands for everything here and as i already stated i have heard nothing but good reports about this company & here in paphos you are now seeing more of their dishes than anyone elses. So obviously they are getting something right as people here talk. I think it sounds like a Limassol installer trying to break into the Paphos market.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Ok lads, drop the personal stuff and get back on topic - or we will close this thread.

closetosoton

More dishes than Sense.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Wavefield T55, 20 LNB's and a whole load of analogue boxes!
My Location
Close to Southampton
i would dread to think what might happen to this niche market if the bbc moved from 2d - ok its not going to happen, but still just wondering....

cts

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
The member Grande_Assiette has now gone, seems unable to post without having a snipe at someone, spoils the forum and we're not having it.

mmg123

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
ABIT AT7 MAX2 NTHELL DIGY BOX DI1000
My Location
UK
geoffreys said:
OK on that. If it is in the Paphos area a 2.7m prime-focus dish should get all SKY channels 24/7. A suitable dish, with the right LNB, would cost about
CYP650 installed. A suitable SKY receiver can also be purchased here for around CYP200. He will need to subscribe to SKY from a UK address, and then hand-carry the card out to Cyprus. He should avoid any SKY subscription that makes it mandatory to connect a phone line to his SKY receiver (digibox). All in all not cheap, but at least SKY is receivable here. Actually most folks who just have a second/holiday home here do not bother - it tends to be permanant residents (like me) who go to the expense. For occasional visits a cheaper option is BBC Prime which you can have installed (complete) for around CYP150.
Cheers
Geoff
Hi i am out there next week my parents live there just round the corner from you may i pm u on my dads dish Regards mmg123

geoffreys

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Satellite Setup
My Location
mmg123 said:
Hi i am out there next week my parents live there just round the corner from you may i pm u on my dads dish Regards mmg123

OK. By all means send me a personal message, will try to help if I can.
Geoff,
Vrysoulles,
Famagusta District,
Republic of Cyprus.