Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
zorba said:
That explains why on Yes tv you have a choice of hebrew or russian audio and subtitles on most of the channels.

Absolutely, they account for a very large proportion of the population whereas a lot of the Sabras (native Israelis) have escaped to America and elsewhere

wxo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Nothing that works
My Location
UK
Well IM another one going to attempt the move from showtime to sky here in Cairo. The dish guy that I have been dealing with tells me that its super hard to get a lock on the astra bird but is willing to try from my area. I can get a box off of the internet pretty easily; however, the I'm kinda fumbling in the dark here. Any tips on getting started??

dxsat

Reaction score
Website
skyinmadrid.com
My Satellite Setup
Snap's setup: (In Spain) Humax HDR, Prodelin 1.8m dish + Invacom QDF-031 + CM feed, (In UK) CallFlow VDSL + EE 4G, Sky Q, YouView HD, Mac OSX, iOS
My Location
UK: Tonbridge, Kent. Spain: Madrid.
There is a thread on Egypt reception on the Astra 2D forum:

Surprisingly, the dish size seems to be 3m for BBC & ITV, which is smaller than many have suggested before.

Robbiewright

Member of the Big Dish Club
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky plus V3 and a 50 inch plasma screen.
My Location
Cairo, Egypt
What about your card? Do you have an address in the U.K and someone to pay the bills?

wxo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Nothing that works
My Location
UK
Again Im still trying to get all the details lined out. I was thinking about setting up a PO box in the UK and ordering the receiver (with card) directly from sky and then having everything forwarded from that PO box. That would solve most issues although it isnt a very cost effective plan. I think the boxes are something like 30 BP for 3 months. I was hoping to setup a direct debit to my credit card so that I could cancel the service after the first 3 month service contract expires.

As for the dish - well as you said - getting a 2.4M dish is not a problem, but others have said that it is impossible to get a lock on astra 2 with anything smaller than 3M. Is there anything special about your setup that allows you to recieve programming on that small of a dish/?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Sky do not post receivers, they insist on installing them, you will need a proper UK address to order a card, the box you can get from ebay.

Robbiewright

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Cairo, Egypt
You will need to sort the card and box out before anything else, you will also have to have the box hand carried into Egypt unless you are happy to pay customs many moneys and go through all the bureaucracy to get it sent to you.

After that you will need the biggest dish you can get, the max allowed in Egypt is 2.4 meters.but if you find bigger can you let me know as I want one too.

Sky is transmitted on more then one satellite, and more then one beam, not a lot of the Egyptian dish guys know this and think if they find one beam then they got it all. You won't get everything unless you find a huge dish, I think it would have to be quite a bit bigger then 3 meters too but what you do get on a 2.4 meter dish is quite easy to find.

You won't get the BBC's apart from and radio, you won't get the ITV"s or Channel 4 or Sky 2 and 3. You will get Sky 1, channel 5, Sky sports 1 and 2 and 3 , some movie channels. you will get almost everything else but some times it will be the +1.

Good luck.

wxo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Nothing that works
My Location
UK
Thats all good info Robbie. So in addition to Astra 2 there is another satellite that I should be looking for? I'm not sure I follow you. Also what is the significance of " +1 " ??

Robbiewright

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Cairo, Egypt
I think there are 4 satellites, I'm not sure, someone please correct me if I say anything wrong, but you don't have to worry about that, just aim your dish as if there is one and the more accurate it is set and bigger the dish the more channels you will get.

+1 is the same channel but transmitted 1 hour later, e.g Living and Living+1, you might not be able to get living but will be able to get living +1 which is transmitted on a diffrent transponder,,,, or vice versa.

wxo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Nothing that works
My Location
UK
I'm with ya now ;p I took a look at one of your previous posts which cleared things up quite a bit (S1 and southern beams...)

Can you recommend a receiver? I've been doing some research and some of them have some pretty poor reviews- especially the Pace models citing poor performance in areas with weak signal reception (Cairo).

dxsat

Reaction score
Website
skyinmadrid.com
My Satellite Setup
Snap's setup: (In Spain) Humax HDR, Prodelin 1.8m dish + Invacom QDF-031 + CM feed, (In UK) CallFlow VDSL + EE 4G, Sky Q, YouView HD, Mac OSX, iOS
My Location
UK: Tonbridge, Kent. Spain: Madrid.
There are now five satellites at 28 degrees east. Recent Pace standard Sky models 440 and 445 should be avoided, the older models 430n and 2600 are good for weak areas. Pace Sky+ TDS470n has the same tuner as the 430n and is equally good.

Robbiewright

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Cairo, Egypt
I have Sky + and I have a Pace and it seems to be fine most of the time, but some times it won't record and view at the same time, I have not had anything to compare it to but if you are just going for the standard sky box then keep away from the Panasonic boxes.

wxo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Nothing that works
My Location
UK
Of those boxes I assume that they support PAL only and not NTSC or HDMI? I ask because my HDTV is NTSC or HD only. I plan to use my HTPC for viewing but I will need a box every once in a while.

Second question relates to the card. There are several for sale on ebay. Do I need the blue one with the yellow house or is this only for FTA?

wxo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Nothing that works
My Location
UK
Hey Robbie, can you post your azmuth and elevation?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
All current Sky cards are blue with yellow house, if they are on ebay, they will be for free to view only, can't see anyone selling one with a current subscription on it, as it is paid monthly.

Robbiewright

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Cairo, Egypt
wxo said:
Hey Robbie, can you post your azmuth and elevation?

Azmuth is 186.07
Elevation is 54.85

m1khalil

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
NA
My Location
Egypt
Robbie,

just out of curiosity, did you get your invacom C120 here in Egypt? if so where could I find one?

Regards.

Robbiewright

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Cairo, Egypt
Sorry, I got it in Cyprus and hand carried it back.

mikenew

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Orbit and CNE 60 cm dishes - standard decoders
My Location
cairo, egypt
Hi Robbie

We are settling in to a villa in Al Rehab City - just East of Cairo - and wondered what we need to get the UK FTA channels here.

Can you help as it seems you have gone through this already?

We are looking at a dreambox as a possibility but not convinced it will get the good ol' beeb and the other lot!

Cheers

Mike

wxo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Nothing that works
My Location
UK
I finally got my Sky HD receive and 2.4M dish installed here, but I cannot seem to receive a signal. Well the guy that installed the dish doesnt have any issues with his crummy receiver, but nothing on my HD box. The strange thing is that when I connect the cable from my Showtime box I can see pretty good signal strength on the HD box. What is it that I am doing wrong? LNB setting? Wrong default transponder (FYI I've tried several including 12051 etc) Any help is appreciated