Sky + in Egypt

Zorba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3m(28.2E),1.5m(19.2E.13E,10E),1m (4W ,7W)1m (?).diseqc 10,sky plus,VU+,telergy iptv.
Satlook nit colour + Horizon hdsm.
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
wxo,where in Egypt are you ? Are you sure the HD channels reach that far?

wxo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Nothing that works
My Location
UK
I'm in Cairo. Its not so much the HD channels that I am concerned with. After fooling around with the box I can now receive sky news, cnn and a few other FTA stations, but when I look at the signal strength it still says zero?? This has me quite confused. Even when I set the default transponder to 12051 I still see zero signal strength even though I am watching channels on that transponder.

Can anyone else in the Cairo area tell me what you are using as the default transponder and what kind of signal strength you are seeing? Perhaps the HD box just doesnt like the LNB?

Robbiewright

Member of the Big Dish Club
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky plus V3 and a 50 inch plasma screen.
My Location
Cairo, Egypt
I am using 12.207 and that is working fine for me. I also have a friend who has Sky HD and he is happy. Has your card been paired with the box by sky in London?

Robbiewright

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Cairo, Egypt
You won't get much as far as FTA goes. All you will really be able to get is Sky News , CNN and a few others, (shopping, god etc) and you can get them with any box and a 2.4 meter dish. Channel 5 is encrypted so you will need a card and a sky box to get that. We are just out of range of channel 4. You won't be able to get the BBC,(apart from radio) not with out a huge dish and by huge I mean around 5 meters. The biggest you can get in Egypt is 2.4 any how. If it is possible for you to get a card and an address in the U.K or Ireland and some one to pay the bills for you, then I think that would be the way to go. Even though we don't get all of the sky channels here, it is still far better the Show Time or Orbit.. Sorry,I have no experience with dream box.

mikenew said:
Hi Robbie

We are settling in to a villa in Al Rehab City - just East of Cairo - and wondered what we need to get the UK FTA channels here.

Can you help as it seems you have gone through this already?

We are looking at a dreambox as a possibility but not convinced it will get the good ol' beeb and the other lot!

Cheers

Mike

Robbiewright

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Cairo, Egypt
wxo said:
I'm in Cairo. Its not so much the HD channels that I am concerned with. After fooling around with the box I can now receive sky news, cnn and a few other FTA stations, but when I look at the signal strength it still says zero?? This has me quite confused. Even when I set the default transponder to 12051 I still see zero signal strength even though I am watching channels on that transponder.

Can anyone else in the Cairo area tell me what you are using as the default transponder and what kind of signal strength you are seeing? Perhaps the HD box just doesnt like the LNB?

I still get Zero on my signal strength on the Sky box too. I find the meter on other boxes better.

mikenew

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Orbit and CNE 60 cm dishes - standard decoders
My Location
cairo, egypt
Thanks Robbie

Further questions then:
- which channels will I be able to get if i can arrange for a UK Sky card?
- what size dish will I need?
- will I be able to use any decoder?

Any help gratefully received - especially as Orbit has just 'lost' all of the Discovery channels (as well as losing SKY News at the end of last year) and CNE has misplaced Eurosport!

Cheers

Mike

Zorba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3m(28.2E),1.5m(19.2E.13E,10E),1m (4W ,7W)1m (?).diseqc 10,sky plus,VU+,telergy iptv.
Satlook nit colour + Horizon hdsm.
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
Robbie can you get ch4+1 on 135 ?

Robbiewright

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Cairo, Egypt
zorba said:
Robbie can you get ch4+1 on 135 ?
No, but I think I must be right on the edge, a slightly bigger dish might do the trick, but just not possible in Egypt.

Robbiewright

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Cairo, Egypt
mikenew said:
Thanks Robbie

Further questions then:
- which channels will I be able to get if i can arrange for a UK Sky card?
- what size dish will I need?
- will I be able to use any decoder?

Any help gratefully received - especially as Orbit has just 'lost' all of the Discovery channels (as well as losing SKY News at the end of last year) and CNE has misplaced Eurosport!

Cheers

Mike

Mike,

Here is a link of all the Sky channels with other info about them.

http://www.lyngsat.com/packages/skyuk.html

You will get beams 2c, S1, 2a south, 2b south and 2b north.

I get these beams with a 2.4 meter solid dish, if you and get a slightly bigger dish then you might be able to get 2a north as well. (If you find one can you let me know as I would like on too).

To get these channels you will need a sky box and a card registered to an address in the U.K or Ireland and some way to pay the bills.

With any free free air box you will only get the channels on the above beams marked in light yellow. Witch is Sky News and CNN and a load of shopping, travel, etc channels.

Hope this helps,

wxo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Nothing that works
My Location
UK
and thats it. Finally got the card paired and all is working except for the other beams. Are you guys doing anything special to get 2bn and S1???

Robbiewright

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Cairo, Egypt
Just a lot of fine tweeking. Sorry I took so long to get back to you. I have been out of Egypt for some time. have you got it all working now?

Pyramid

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Direct TV
My Location
USA
Robbie, I'll be moving from Houston to Egypt in July but hope to make a trip there end Feb 09. Any chance youd be around in Cairo to meet up for half an hour, lunch or something? I just want to make use of the next few months to buy any equipment that I might need to get going on Sky. My parents in Ireland just unsubscribed from Sky, so I would think I could easily re-activiate that account and take their box. Most likely we will be living in the New Cairo area. Unfortunately I dont seem to be able to contact you directly or indirectly (forum rules I guess) hence this post at the end of a thread that has been very helpful to me.
rgds
steve

Robbiewright

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Cairo, Egypt
That's fine, If I can help you I will. I tried to send you a P.M but it tells me it is disabled at your end.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Sorry Pyramid but it's a forum rule that you have to have been a member for a shortish while and have made a few posts before you're allowed to use the PM function. This was introduced to stop spammers registering and then blitzing everyone.

razoray

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
i am trying to receive sky in egypt. i have a 1.8m dish and a uk sky receiver.
My Location
egypt
Hi, I am in sharm el sheik and have a sky box and 1.8m dish. I cant seem to get any signal. The sat people hear know nothing about sky and would like to know any iformation to assist me. All help will be greatly appreciated. I am ready to jump off a tall building, help if you can

Razor

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
razoray said:
Hi, I am in sharm el sheik and have a sky box and 1.8m dish. I cant seem to get any signal. The sat people hear know nothing about sky and would like to know any iformation to assist me. All help will be greatly appreciated. I am ready to jump off a tall building, help if you can

Razor

See Post #69
I know you aren't that close to Cairo, but the principle still applies.

Your 1.8m is going to be far too small to get any worthwhile results.

Even the 2.4m referred to in that Post only gets some of the beams.

Even with a 5m dish (If you could source one out there ...) you might not get the main BBC Channels from Astra 2D.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
No chance of Sky UK in Sharm El Sheik on such a tiddly dish! All the UK satellites at 28E are firing into north western Europe nowhere near eastern Egypt.

Starting at 2.4m might get you *some* of the channels, but if you want the BBC channels then you are probably looking at 7-10m minimum!!

You will be far better off investigating Showtime or Orbit or whatever the pay tv services are these days.

Robbiewright

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Cairo, Egypt
I had sky in Dahab before I moved to Cairo, You will need the biggest dish you can find, a 2.4 is the biggest that is allowed in Egypt. It's not easy and you won't get everything. Do you know if the dish is on the satellite? First thing first, Get a bigger dish.

kady

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
none
My Location
Cairo, Egypt
is it possible to receive BBC HD in Egypt?