Sky+ installation

rommel

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Can I buy an unsubsidised sky+ box for European installation?

Can I use my existing dish/lnb/cable combo or does that need to be 'upgraded' also?

Does sky have to enable sky+ remotely?

Where's the best (cheapest) place to get a sky+ box?

Rommel

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
You can buy a Sky plus box on eBay Rommel and install a twin or quad LNb on your existing setup. The biggest problem with Sky plus is that it requires activation by Sky (so a phonecall required) and prior to doing this, you must do a new installation with a callback.

rommel

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Thanks Rolf,

Just three more questions:

If I use a twin LNB, then I will have two cables, or is the signal muxed into one?

Will a callback still be required if the box is bought (ie not subsidised)

Is it possible to activate the box (including callback) in the UK and then transport the box to Europe?

Rommel

methos_de

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace Ver.3 SKY+ box
1,20m Dish
Quad Invacom 0, 3db LNB

P4 3,4 ghz
1024mb RAM
Geforce 256mb 6800 Ultra
My Location
Sunny old Bristol
rommel said:
Thanks Rolf,

Just three more questions:

If I use a twin LNB, then I will have two cables, or is the signal muxed into one?

Will a callback still be required if the box is bought (ie not subsidised)

Is it possible to activate the box (including callback) in the UK and then transport the box to Europe?

Rommel

Hi,

1. you will have 2 cables.
2. yes it will still be required.
3. yes this is possible. I've had mine in Germany since it came out.

Methos.

Zorba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3m(28.2E),1.5m(19.2E.13E,10E),1m (4W ,7W)1m (?).diseqc 10,sky plus,VU+,telergy iptv.
Satlook nit colour + Horizon hdsm.
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
Do you just buy the box and then put your skycard in then ring sky for activation?No contract to sign?

methos_de

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace Ver.3 SKY+ box
1,20m Dish
Quad Invacom 0, 3db LNB

P4 3,4 ghz
1024mb RAM
Geforce 256mb 6800 Ultra
My Location
Sunny old Bristol
When I got mine I had to sign a new contract for a further 12 months. This is however years ago. Maybe its changed in between.

Methos.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Last one I did, they read the terms and conditions out to the customer over the phone, as far as I know they didn't need to sign anything.

Razor

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Ireland
This problem about sky activation, with calls from non UK numbers, people trying to set up the sky digiboxs, doing call-backs. What if there was somewhere you could go to have all this done for you, and yes I do know that there commercial companies that will do this ( for a very high charge). What if a sat board like this or any of the other boards had a section for people to do this. They send off a non working box and 6 days later it arrives back all set up and working. Then as a Thank-you they make a nice donation to help keep the board up and running. This will not make anyone rich but might keep the wolf from the boards door.

And no I am not looking for a job, I am not in the UK anyway.

Leee

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+ v2 (120Gb); DM7020Si*motorised; PC/S2-3200
My Location
47°N/8°E/490m
hi guys
can someone define callback? Does a card have to be in the box then? Does it have to be the card that will be married to the system? Does callback only invoke a call from the system to sky?

TIA :)

simonkerridge

Reaction score
Hey RolfW.

You seem to know what's what here.

I'm confused. I've got an active Sky account through a UK address that works for me here in France, no problem.

I'm interested in getting Sky+ if it's not gonna be too expensive but am still not sure how to proceed.

Do I just buy a box (what about Sky+160GB?), get someone to change my LNB, ring Sky and upgrade to sky+, wait for them to send the card to my UK address, then get someone else in the UK to call sky and ask them to activate the card?

Does that sound about right or am I missing something?

Have you seen any SKy+160GB boxes for sale anywhere?

Thanks.

Simon.

Leee

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+ v2 (120Gb); DM7020Si*motorised; PC/S2-3200
My Location
47°N/8°E/490m
Simon
That's pretty much the story. I sent my card to my Dad last year and he called Sky and got it paired to the box (V2 Pace) bought off the shelf. They then switched on the + features and recording.

Life-changing is the only way to describe it. There is no going back ;)

Zorba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3m(28.2E),1.5m(19.2E.13E,10E),1m (4W ,7W)1m (?).diseqc 10,sky plus,VU+,telergy iptv.
Satlook nit colour + Horizon hdsm.
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
simonkerridge said:
Do I just buy a box (what about Sky+160GB?), get someone to change my LNB, ring Sky and upgrade to sky+, wait for them to send the card to my UK address, then get someone else in the UK to call sky and ask them to activate the card?

Fit a twin lnb,Buy your sky+ box,put your card in,call sky and tell them you have a sky plus box and to transfer your card to sky+ box.sky will ask for version and serial number of sky+ box(which you will find by going to system details).If they mention phone line just say you have been with sky for more than one year anyway and so disconnected from phone line.

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2xPace 430N, 1xNokia MM9800, 1xNokia 80cm Sat Dish, 1xGibertini 120cm, Big Fat Furry Puss
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
This sounds like the same kind of stuff that 'terrified' users' into phoning the UK to activate their standard sub cards about five years ago.

I was one of the first (on this site) to say 'fook-it and try'. At the time there was negligible advise available on this and that other famous "do not phone SKY from abroad" website. There was Jack of solid info then - and frankly the info on SKY+ for those outside the UK seems very much the same these days. I still feel that I have to read between the lines. Correct?

Back then, and after a nervous discusion with SKY, I got my SKY.

I laugh about it at times (reading these posts); albeit, I don't find the bird shifting since then very funny at all - but then again I am just an ex-pat.

Whatever, I don't believe that getting SKY+ up-and-running isn't any different to was it was five years ago.

Money talks - talk to SKY!

Have in place the basics (i.e., UK address or relatives) - payment in hand (I paid by UK cheque) - get a 'world' package or pay the extra for the recording function.

I intend to get SKY+ in the next few months using the method I referred to above. Thereafter, there will be a trip to a local German computer shop to purchase a 250Gb drive.

I will report back. [edit]Is there actually a 'formative' sticky on this site on "How to get SKY+ up-and-running when you live outside the UK?"

Regards,

Mark.

makum101

Reaction score
My Location
Tenerife South, Torviscas Alto
Ok Now i'm worried...

I live in Tenerife and brought my plus version 1 box out with me. I susbscribe via a uk address and all is fine.

What happens in my case when I replace my sky plus box with a new one? My sky card is already activated for plus features, so do i need to call sky to marry my existing card to the new box or will it just work?

I'm planning on buying a version 2 box just after xmas while back in the UK.

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2xPace 430N, 1xNokia MM9800, 1xNokia 80cm Sat Dish, 1xGibertini 120cm, Big Fat Furry Puss
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
makum101 said:
.... so do i need to call sky to marry my existing card to the new box or will it just work?
Obviously when the new box is sat in front of you - you'll find out pretty soon whether you have to phone anyone;)

Phoning SKY so that they can marry your sub card to the serial of the new box seems logical though.

Then you might want to check out this site to upgrade your hard-drive to 250Gb (given that the official 160Gb version of SKY+ is GBP 399.00)

See here for more: http://www.hummer.co.uk/disc-change-v2.htm

Have Fun,

Mark.

makum101

Reaction score
My Location
mljgmljg said:
Obviously when the new box is sat in front of you - you'll find out pretty soon whether you have to phone anyone;)
Cheers for this but i'd rather know for sure before potentially wasting a large amount of money.

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
I'm sure that others will back me up this that a phoncall to SKY is inevitable.

Your current sub card will self-activate in the new box; but once fully self-activated (+/- a few hours), it will only allow access to a certain level.

Let's say your current sub package includes sports and/or movies. Well, I can honestly say that you won't be able to view them in your new box with your existing sub card: because I have tried it myself.

You'll be able to view up to most of the Family Pack channels, as well as the usual FTV and Free stuff. I'll also hazzard an educated guess that the recording function won't work either. But, I'll stand to be corrected on this one.

Whatever, phone SKY and simply ask them to tally your new box details against your existing sub card address. Your actual location is irrelevant: I phone from my location all the time for PPV.

Nowt to fear and no money to loose:D

Have Fun,

Mark.

makum101

Reaction score
My Location
Ok. Thanks for the info.

I think your right as when we first came out here we brought our normal sky box (not a plus box) and bought a card from a local supplier (no questions asked!) This worked fine. However when inserted into the sky plus box we could not record nor rewind etc. It was at this point I decided to keep up my legit subscription in the Uk and "changed my address" to a family members house.

I will buy the new 160 plus box on my trip to blighty this January and ring em from my UK mobile on my return. I'll let you know how i get on...

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
makum101 said:
I will buy the new 160 plus box on my trip to blighty...
Sorry Makum, an additional note in response to your last post (then I'll leave you alone - promise).

If money doesn't hold a special place in your wallet, then the 160Gb SKY+ is a snip at GBP 399.00. Personally, I get a lump in my throat knowing that it is double the price of a standard SKY+ unit.

Only to say that if you can handle doing the washing (i.e., whites with whites, darks with darks) you'll be able to mod a standard box within half-an-hour. It'll cost you very little and you'll be able to spend the savings on something else. So, I would seriously recommend to you that you have a look at the Hummer mod site (link above in previous post).

I ordered the necessary screwdriver set from Screwfixdirect and it cost GBP 15.00 to the door.

If you pruchase the off-the-peg version, so be it, but still come back and let us all know how you get on ;)

Have Fun in Blighty,

Mark.