Sky just lost over 3.1m viewers

R

Rd100

Just a update for you they just pulled all sky basic channels off virgin cable as of 00.00am 1st march 2007,

Virgin has over 5 million customers on cable

3.1m are tv

The rest are cable telephone and/or broadband only customers

chucklebezza

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
39east and 19e when I want to see F1, using a tm1500ci
My Location
surrey
Great, Im glad someone at long last is standing up to sky. Sky and news corp are just too powerfull.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
At this stage nobody knows who will lose out, apart from that it'll be the customers in the short term.

zansi

Moderator & General Globetrotter
Reaction score
Website
digiboxes.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
Openbox F3 85cm dish H to H motor, Dell Vostro Laptop
My Location
North West UK
Well Done Richard Branson & Co. !!! Sky just think they can dictate terms to everyone as they have a monoply.

It would be great if Virgin could enter the satellite platform and give them "real competition"

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Sorry, but I cannot wear this Richard Branson = Good and Rupert Murdoch = Bad scenario.

NTL are one of the crappiest companies around, with customer service which is legendary for the wrong reasons, can't see how Richard Bransons involvement will have made any difference in this short space of time.

As I said, it'll be interesting to see what pans out from this dispute, it may not be resolved in the short term, as it will probably take heavy losses from one side or the other to force a return to the table.

JTA

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM8000HD+DM7000S with PLi image, CCcam, movable dish 0.85 m, very happy indeed
My Location
Belgium
I can see Sky sales booming in the next couple of weeks .....
Murdoch is going to be pleased by this.

harrowwoman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
One dish 1.5cm with 3 LNBs picking up Hotbird,Arabsat,Astra
old Echostar receiver, GlobalStar 6000i
My Location
Harrow,Middlesex, UK
All the furore is over....3p extra! Would you believe that? Both companies are run by arrogant prats. I support the general opinion that NTL are one of the worst companies going, changing the name dont make a bit of diffference.

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
who watches sky one and the rest of them anyway i dont never have since i got sky

so i dont know what the fuss is all about, plenty of other things to watch than that crappy lost drama and 24

ShootMePlz

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Several Systems around the house, x800 graphics cards mainly used for gaming so specs arnt a problem
My Location
UK
NTL are one of the crappiest companies around, with customer service which is legendary for the wrong reasons, can't see how Richard Bransons involvement will have made any difference in this short space of time.

Well I do agree with you on the NTL customer service, however I will say that the largest call center for NTL is near Manchester Airport, about 1 mile form where I work and I can also confirm that RB has just purchased another building right next door to there main site and is already advertising locally for many more staff. I do think that somebody had to stand upto Sky sooner or later and its good to see RB has a track record for standing upto the big guys, HMV, British Airways and many more, he doesnt always win, but they all know he will not be pushed around. Just wonder what his next move will be, I can see he agreeing to a short term contract say 12 months and look for other ways, I mean this has all come to a head in the space of weeks since he took over.

Rob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate TMS-1500 CI+ "patched" receiver, 90cm p/f 36v motorised dish, Inverto C120 0.3db LNB, Moteck V-Box 2, Packard Bell 6052 XP Home computer, Toshiba A60 laptop, and lots of Russian Vodka !
My Location
Essex
harrowwoman said:
NTL are one of the worst companies going

Can't say about NTL but the other half of the package Telewest to which I subscribe supply an excellent service (hasn't always been the case) with excellent after sales service.

As for losing a couple of channels which I never watched anyway don't think that will change anything.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Can I gently remind everyone this is a SATELLITE forum - our rules specifically forbid any cable chatter.

And I for one am heartily sick of the whole story already.

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
Rob said:
Can't say about NTL but the other half of the package Telewest to which I subscribe supply an excellent service (hasn't always been the case) with excellent after sales service.
Totally agree with you there Rob. I've only ever had cable broadband from Telewest and they have never let me down. I shuddered when I saw they were merging with NTL and now I'm a customer of Virgin Media but broadband only.

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1200cc with 100,000,000,000 neurons and 100,000,000,000,000 connections
My Location
Fife, Scotland
Reports that the National Consumer Council might be getting involved.

TV row warning for media giants Scotsman

VIRGIN Media and Sky could face a "supercomplaint" following a row between the two companies which has left hundreds of thousands of customers without their favourite channels, the National Consumer Council said last night.

The consumer body said it would consider pushing for a review of the digital television market.

Also notice the person commenting at the bottom of the original report claiming to have got £7 of his bill and free broadband upgrade after complaining...