Sky Mini Dish

mholali

Regular Member
Messages
32
Likes
0
#1
Hello Guys,

Great work!

I have a sky mini-dish on one side of my house and would like to keep the wife and mother-in-law upstairs whilst I watch the footy on my motorised system downstairs.

Is it possible to fix a dual LNB on say 28E and 13E on the sky mini-dish for some more european channels for them? The mini-dish has no STB attached for the moment. Just pointing into the skies idil. I intend buying a Technomate for the purpose.

Thanks in advance.
 

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Messages
4,305
Likes
5
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
#2
mholali said:
Is it possible to fix a dual LNB on say 28E and 13E on the sky mini-dish for some more european channels for them? The mini-dish has no STB attached for the moment. Just pointing into the skies idil. I intend buying a Technomate for the purpose.
You don't say where you live, a mini dish would be too small for the set-up you indicate.

Best get a dish about 80cm for the dual LNB set-up.
 

closetosoton

More dishes than Sense.
Messages
502
Likes
0
My Satellite Setup
Wavefield T55, 20 LNB's and a whole load of analogue boxes!
My Location
Close to Southampton
#3
gameboy said:
You don't say where you live, a mini dish would be too small for the set-up you indicate.

Best get a dish about 80cm for the dual LNB set-up.
even an 80cm dish you would struggle to get 15degrees of seperation between two lnbs... you need something like a wavefrontier T55 or T90 dish.....

or alternatively just get another minidish, or old analogue 60cm dish....

-cts
 

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Messages
37,671
Likes
1,279
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
#4
Depending on where the thread starter lives, a 70cm Raven Gemini will handle the 28.2 and 13 East satellites very well,
 

mholali

Regular Member
Messages
32
Likes
0
#5
Thanks Guys

I live in the southeast of london and I do not want to go through the hussle of buying a whole new system again just for a 2 or 3 channels that the wife and mother-in-law watch. From what I gather on the answers, it means I can only get the Astra 28E channels then. 2 of the 3 channels they watch frequently are on 28E anyaway. In addition they would get all the BBC channels anyway especially for "eastenders".

So then my question is simple..........could I connect a new techomate STB to the mini-dish? Only for the Astra 28E channels.

Cheers Guys,

Mart
 

Rob

Regular Member
Messages
1,397
Likes
3
My Satellite Setup
Technomate TMS-1500 CI+ "patched" receiver, 90cm p/f 36v motorised dish, Inverto C120 0.3db LNB, Moteck V-Box 2, Packard Bell 6052 XP Home computer, Toshiba A60 laptop, and lots of Russian Vodka !
My Location
Essex
#7
Please correct me if I'm wrong but I'm sure I read somewhere that a certain receiver other than a Sky Digibox can be used with the official Sky card.
It needs the card to be fitted inside a cam and then into the receiver, but I can't remember what receiver (still a bit early in the morning for me), it might have been a Dreambox, or a Technomate but I can't remember.

Can anybody throw some light on this ?
 

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Messages
45,496
Likes
8,231
Location
Scottish Borders
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Skybox F3
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
#8
mholali said:
Thanks Guys

I live in the southeast of london and I do not want to go through the hussle of buying a whole new system again just for a 2 or 3 channels that the wife and mother-in-law watch. From what I gather on the answers, it means I can only get the Astra 28E channels then. 2 of the 3 channels they watch frequently are on 28E anyaway. In addition they would get all the BBC channels anyway especially for "eastenders".

So then my question is simple..........could I connect a new techomate STB to the mini-dish? Only for the Astra 28E channels.

Cheers Guys,

Mart
Yes - change the LNB for one with 4 outlet ports on it and run a new length of cable from the dish to the new viewing location. Attach the technomate to the new cable and away you go. You will only get the free channels (BBC, ITV3, Men & Motors, shopping, religious etc) on the Technomate.

You WONT get ITV 1 ITV 2 C4 & C5 as these require a card and NDS decryption which the Technomate cant handle.
 

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Messages
45,496
Likes
8,231
Location
Scottish Borders
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Skybox F3
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
#9
Rob said:
Please correct me if I'm wrong but I'm sure I read somewhere that a certain receiver other than a Sky Digibox can be used with the official Sky card.
It needs the card to be fitted inside a cam and then into the receiver, but I can't remember what receiver (still a bit early in the morning for me), it might have been a Dreambox, or a Technomate but I can't remember.

Can anybody throw some light on this ?
Dreambox or any CI receiver with a suitably patched Dragon CAM.
 
Top