Sky Mini Dish

mholali

Reaction score
There was a sky mini dish at the front of a property we moved into 3years ago. I can't tell how long its been there for. I have only just hooked it up to a TM5500CIP to get all the FTAs on Astra 2 for the mother-in-law. All I am getting on the signal strength is 25% max. with no quality. Wondering why. Could any expert brains here please tell me what I might be doing wrong?

Rob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate TMS-1500 CI+ "patched" receiver, 90cm p/f 36v motorised dish, Inverto C120 0.3db LNB, Moteck V-Box 2, Packard Bell 6052 XP Home computer, Toshiba A60 laptop, and lots of Russian Vodka !
My Location
Essex
You probably just need to adjust the dish a little, as you should be able to pick up the fta stuff.
If you don't have a satellite meter, get the mother in law to watch the screen while you adjust (only a faction) the dish, or better still get the mother in law to adjust the dish.:D

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
You should attempt to adjust the dish position for highest "quality" reading on receiver signal display. Which is much easier by using a "sat beeper". If what you've got already IS the best quality, then suspect water ingress at lnb connector plug, refit this onto end of cable and clean away any "crud" around the lnb socket.

mholali

Reaction score
Cheers guys. I was thinking of buying a new LNB. That does not seem inportant then, from you have said.

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
Well, 25% suggests your lnb is seeing "something", so is unlikely to be faulty, then either dish off-axis or "cable crud" are most likely.

With dc volts on cable, if the lnb connection isn't properly sealed and waterproofed, then electrolytic action means "crud" slowly forms around the socket, and can degrade the signal.

But, you've got to check for yourself ......