Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Maidenhead, UK & Helsinki, Finland
Good news for film fans. Makes sense with the likes of Netflix and Amazon offering films in HD and UHD as standard. I suppose eventually we'll see the closure of the SD film channels via satellite.

Meanwhile my basic non-HD sub is going up by £2 in June. I think it's time to say goodbye to Sky. With the constant price increases and the loss of many channels to me in Finland I'm really struggling to convince myself why I should keep it.

A

Archive4

As the title says from 1st June all Sky Movies subscribers will be able to view/record all the 11 Sky Movies channels in HD without paying the additional HD pack subscription. More info (lower down page) - Sky Help: Changes to your Sky TV subscription

That is assuming all the many SD subscribers have an HD box, but if not will have to upgrade to an HD box to get access to the " free offer "

" The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one "

So all SD subscribers who will soon be paying 2 pound a month more will get the " free upgrade " as long as they buy a new box!

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
I don't have Sky, but aren't they undergoing a rolling process to upgrade existing Subscribers' boxes?

A

Archive4

I don't have Sky, but aren't they undergoing a rolling process to upgrade existing Subscribers' boxes?
I hope not, for their sakes.
A friend on mine brought to Spain his super dooper Sky HD + box about three weeks ago, he invited me up to have a look at it ( and help him set it up as he is slightly technophobic )
Well, I connected the sat cables, HDMI and finally the power cable. At which point I went to the kitchen, filled the kettle and switched it on. I had time to make the tea, open and plate up a few chocolate biscuits and get back into the lounge before the Sky box came to life!
Progress? Certainly not in an area where power cuts are quite frequent!

davemurgtroyd

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Oxford
That is assuming all the many SD subscribers have an HD box, but if not will have to upgrade to an HD box to get access to the " free offer "

" The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one "

So all SD subscribers who will soon be paying 2 pound a month more will get the " free upgrade " as long as they buy a new box!
A vast majority of SD subscription boxes are now used as second and third room multiboxes

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
What for, to send the new Sky upgraded box over?

Battery back up (this UPS is Uninterruptible Power Supply) Also smooths the voltage peaks & sags out.

A Sky box would only need a small capacity unit.

davemurgtroyd

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Oxford
Yes they started with replacing Thompson HD boxes over three years ago and I believe all service call replacements are HD+ boxes plus all Variety pack subscribers were offered a free HD+ box for upgrading to Family pack (£6 per month increase in subs) so basically a half price box.

davemurgtroyd

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Oxford
I hope not, for their sakes.
A friend on mine brought to Spain his super dooper Sky HD + box about three weeks ago, he invited me up to have a look at it ( and help him set it up as he is slightly technophobic )
Well, I connected the sat cables, HDMI and finally the power cable. At which point I went to the kitchen, filled the kettle and switched it on. I had time to make the tea, open and plate up a few chocolate biscuits and get back into the lounge before the Sky box came to life!
Progress? Certainly not in an area where power cuts are quite frequent!
So he chooses to break the terms of his contract by using it in a country with a crap power system. The progress is needed there. Power cuts are not that common in its intended usage area.

A

Archive4

Battery back up (this UPS is Uninterruptible Power Supply) Also smooths the voltage peaks & sags out.

A Sky box would only need a small capacity unit.
I knew what you meant, as did most of the forum, but unless you are specific in your quotes things are open to miss interpretation, or so I,m lead to believe.
Either way, a box that takes 5 mins to boot????

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Power cuts are not that common in its intended usage area.

Hmm. Those of us in the countryside with open wire overhead line distribution strung on ageing poles would beg to differ.

davemurgtroyd

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Oxford
How is the job going with Sky?:-doh
I have never worked for them or anyone else in the satellite or broadcast field - merely stating the legality of the situation to your very obvious bias.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Hmm. Those of us in the countryside with open wire overhead line distribution strung on ageing poles would beg to differ.

Indeed - a few years ago we were getting regular power cuts - Scottish Power couldnt find anything wrong - then one day I happened to be looking out of the window & the mystery was solved - a bull was rubbing its back on the straining wire of the power pole in the middle of the field opposite causing the wires to thrash around! As soon as they touched out went the power again.

Watching the Scottish Power engineer driving across the field in his van & trying to shoo the bull away from its scratching post extremely bravely from inside the van was ever so funny :D

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Yep. We had (still have) the same with a horse in a small paddock over t'lane.

A

Archive4

I have never worked for them or anyone else in the satellite or broadcast field - merely stating the legality of the situation to your very obvious bias.
I can assure you I have absolutely no bias for or against Sky. I am not promoting the illegal use of internet to remove encryption, use of IPTV to gain illegal access to encrypted services , or someone bringing a box out of zone to pick up a signal. I don´t think Sky care that much, as long as they get there wedge per month.
I was purely commenting on the amount of boot time, and in many cases instability of the STB´s they use. I don´t have one, or want one!

P.S. You state you have never worked for them, but where is your pension money invested? Don´t answer, I don´t really want to know that either, as it is personal information.:D

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Yes, Sky don't go out of their way to cut off revenue streams from outside the UK until sharply prodded by others. There's a degree of symbiosis between expat Subscribers and the Sky Finance folk.

A

Archive4

Ah yes, symbiosis

Symbiosis (from Greek σύν "together" and βίωσις "living")[2] is close and often long-term interaction between two different biological species.

Here´s a great looking example

changeofheart_058.jpg