Sky plus and ability to view other satellites

buzzsaw

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky digital
My Location
Ireland
Hi all,

New to the forum and looking for some advice.

I currently have the bog standard Sky digital setup and am now looking to upgrade to Sky plus. I would also like to be able to lock into other satellites other than Sky (in particular Hotbird). For the dish setup, I believe I would need to upgrade from the current Sky minidish to 80cm dish? Then I would need two LNBs, one pointed at Sky the other at Hotbird?

Are there any receivers/PVRs on the market which combine the features of Sky plus and also allow the reception of Hotbird or would I be better off starting with Sky plus, then buying a separate receiver for the other satellites?

TIA

Buzz

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Although you can get some way towards the functionality of the former suggestion, it's a bit of a challenge to say the least.

I think that for the sake of your sanity the latter might be a better move. Probably cheaper too. Check out the Technomate 1500Ci+ or similar for the secondary box.

While you're at it, chuck another LNB up for the 19.2E Astra1 birds for some extra viewing.

You might even find it easier to have the second box on the 80cm and leave the Plus box on it's own minidish, although I believe you can stretch between 13E and 28.2E with the right bracketry.

To get the full feature-set of Sly+ you'll probably have to have your minidish's LNB replaced (assuming it's a single-out jobbie ATM).

STICK

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Hi Buzz, welcome to the forum, your very last question is the way to go. :)

The digibox is not good on other satellites and the recording function wouldn't work on them either. :)

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Oops, pipped to the post there. :)