Sky Q 'not allowed' to use network via powerline device?????

tfc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
None at the moment
My Location
UK
I have just witnessed a domestic Sky Q install. The installer refused to connect the Sky Q box via Ethernet to a powerline adaptor (Devolo, so quite reliable and very stable), because 'Sky Q boxes are not authorised to be connected via Powerline'.

It was suggested that it could be connected via the wifi network generated by the adaptor. Again, it was refused for the same reason, rudely. 'I have to connect it the way I am told.' He insisted on connecting it to the BT router more than 15 metres away with a very weak signal.

Is there something about Sky Q boxes which is a problem with power Line? Or is it just an installer who knows only how to do exactly what he is told in the training sessions?

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Trained (?) Monkey.

I bet they are trying to avoid being associated with alleged EMC issues.

Early Homeplugs were notorious for generating loads of disruptive Interference, but like most rapidly advancing Technologies, those problems should no longer arise.

tfc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
None at the moment
My Location
UK
Thanks, I never thought of that.

Well, in this case, if there is any EMC generated, it will be generated very close to the box. The user installed it where it is specifically to use with the Sky Q!

A nonymous

Reaction score
I would have told him to take his box and go forth. Last time i looked your the customer :mad:

Its a typical Sky (so called ) engineer trait. If its not how you were shown, you dont do it. I like many others here can proudly say that I've forgotten more than most Sky monkeys know. They are all idiots as far as i'm concerned, none of them can think outside the box.

The amount of times I've had to attend a service call because a Sky monkey doesn't know how an IRS distribution system works. 99% of the time its taken me a few minutes and the box is up and running.

When i used to have Sky it always made me laugh when there was a fault they said we have to send an engineer out even when i told them i had checked everything out and knew what the problem was :-lmao

davemurgtroyd

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Oxford
Thanks, I never thought of that.

Well, in this case, if there is any EMC generated, it will be generated very close to the box. The user installed it where it is specifically to use with the Sky Q!
Any EMC generated is by the whole ring mains network in the house - sending RF over cabling that is not screened or twisted pair should be a no-no. Modern fast PLTs now go up as far as 300MHz so well into FM and DAB bands.

skomedal

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
This and that
My Location
thule
Sorry for asking but was this a UK install?

Your location shows as CH

Regards

tfc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
None at the moment
My Location
UK
Sorry for asking but was this a UK install?

Your location shows as CH

Regards

Yes, a U.K. Install. My apologies, I hadn't updated my profile. The install was at a neighbour's.

Last edited:

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
I have just witnessed a domestic Sky Q install. The installer refused to connect the Sky Q box via Ethernet to a powerline adaptor (Devolo, so quite reliable and very stable), because 'Sky Q boxes are not authorised to be connected via Powerline'.

It was suggested that it could be connected via the wifi network generated by the adaptor. Again, it was refused for the same reason, rudely. 'I have to connect it the way I am told.' He insisted on connecting it to the BT router more than 15 metres away with a very weak signal.

Is there something about Sky Q boxes which is a problem with power Line? Or is it just an installer who knows only how to do exactly what he is told in the training sessions?
Yes, the latter.

tfc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
None at the moment
My Location
UK
Any EMC generated is by the whole ring mains network in the house - sending RF over cabling that is not screened or twisted pair should be a no-no. Modern fast PLTs now go up as far as 300MHz so well into FM and DAB bands.

Ah, but perhaps this is the reason. :-

UPDATE Sky Broadband Launch New Sky Q Hub Router and Internet TV - ISPreview UK
"The all new Hub has built in Powerline networking technology, so it can use in-home electrical wiring as well as Wi-Fi to communicate with Sky Q boxes"

This presumably means that the Sky Q box must have PLT capability.

Perhaps this is another example of Sky incompatibility? If the Sky Q PLT box is compatible it should be able to join an existing network. If it isn't compatible, it should still possible to be able to switch off the PLT networking in the Sky Q box and use the existing network via Wifi or Ethernet.

Or perhaps Sky just want to take over our internal networks too?

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Interesting ..........

Mind you, Sky are on a losing wicket trying to govern how my Network runs, as I do not have, nor ever will have, any form of relationship with them!

Last edited:

#gilderglob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
stb
My Location
Bristol
Although the powerline function is not suppose to be in use yet it's reported that it most definitely doesn't work with other powerline adapters and may even cause interference. I wonder if a neighbouring sky q would interfere....

Sent from my FRD-L09 using Tapatalk

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Although the powerline function is not suppose to be in use yet it's reported that it most definitely doesn't work with other powerline adapters and may even cause interference. I wonder if a neighbouring sky q would interfere....

Sent from my FRD-L09 using Tapatalk

A neighbouring SkyQ ? What are the chances of that ?