Sky+ recording probs

LynnC

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+
My Location
Cumbria
Hi... Sky + will record, but when it does there are no other channels available, other than the one it is recording. I called Sky about this and they offered to send out an engineer for a payment of £65. I asked if this payment would be returned to me if the fault is with the system, they replied that it would not, but that I would get a further 3 month warranty.

The law states that a consumer has up to 6 years to complain to a retailer about faulty goods, and that if the retailer charges a fee to inspect the goods, that fee must be returned if the fault is found to be an inherent fault. By not doing so Sky are blatantly breaking the law.

I pointed out to them that as I have had the system just over 12 months it is obviously not fit for purpose, not unless they only intend the system to work for a limited period of time. This didn't matter a jot to the man I spoke to.

I was also offered an alternative solution of taking out insurance for a fee of £8.50. If I take out this insurance they will send out an engineer. Surely this cannot be legal; how can it be right to take out insurance after the problem has occured?

Any suggestions would be welcome. I am loathe to pay the engineer's fee.

Lynn

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Welcome to the forum,

The fault you are describing would indicate you possibly have no signal on Input 2. Assume you have two incoming feeds. If so, try swapping these around to do alittle fault finding yourself.

LynnC

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+
My Location
Cumbria
Thanks... the guy I spoke to in India suggested that it was a problem with one of the cables into the box. I took them out to check that they were both ok, which they appeard to be. What should, or should not, happen if I swap the cables around?

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Swapping the suspected faulty feed from input 2 to input 1 will indicate if you have a signal on that cable as the receiver will either work or won't.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Also go in to the services menu, System setup, signal test and see if both tuners show a signal.

LynnC

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+
My Location
Cumbria
I switched the cables, and the one that is for recording doesn't bring in a signal. I take it this means that the problem is indeed with the cable. That said, the cable has never been moved and couldn't possibly have suffered any sort of damage where it is. Could it be that the cable has been dislodged from the dish?

Thanks for the help, it is much appreciated.

LynnC

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+
My Location
Cumbria
And... there is no signal showing on cable 2 in system setup.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
OK, so when you switch the cables, the no signal moves from the second tuner to the first? Or whichever way around that you have the cables, the second tuner always shows no signal?

LynnC

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+
My Location
Cumbria
When I switched the cables the system setup showed the dodgy cable, now in 1, as not bringing in a signal. Curiously, when I switched them the dodgy cable brought in a signal for a few seconds, long enough to hear Colleen Nolan speak one sentence, then it went away again.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
If the bad cable has a screw type "F" connector, try removing the connector and checking that the connection is good with the outer braid and the centre core is long enough.

LynnC

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+
My Location
Cumbria
Hmmm... think I'm stuck now. I can't work out how to get the connector off the wire.

barrie.lamb

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+ DRX280 Amstrad,
Pc..Dell Dimention C521
My Location
Cumbrian west coast
Just screw it off,

LynnC

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+
My Location
Cumbria
Hi again... hubby checked the wire, it is ok for connection and the center core is actually a little longer than the other wire.

barrie.lamb

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+ DRX280 Amstrad,
Pc..Dell Dimention C521
My Location
Cumbrian west coast
Could be the LNB on the 'blink' or even the cable to LNB connection.

LynnC

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+
My Location
Cumbria
What is the LNB? Note you're in west Cumbria... so am I.

barrie.lamb

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+ DRX280 Amstrad,
Pc..Dell Dimention C521
My Location
Cumbrian west coast
But it could also be a break in that particular wire, you would have to do a 'continuety check on it to be sure.

barrie.lamb

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+ DRX280 Amstrad,
Pc..Dell Dimention C521
My Location
Cumbrian west coast
The LNB is the bit that sticks out at the front of the dish.
Where abouts are you ?

LynnC

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+
My Location
Cumbria
I'm in Millom.

barrie.lamb

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+ DRX280 Amstrad,
Pc..Dell Dimention C521
My Location
Cumbrian west coast
Sorry a bit too far for me, I'm north west of Maryport.

barrie.lamb

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+ DRX280 Amstrad,
Pc..Dell Dimention C521
My Location
Cumbrian west coast
The next thing to do if you can, is to swap the cables at the dish end and check the signals as before, that way you could possibly narrow it down to whether it's a faulty line or LNB.