Sky = Ripping me off???

briggsy

Reaction score
Hi, im new here i know very little about sky technology, on Tuesday i was watching most haunted on living TV as usual, and i noticed a poor signal quality as my picture was jumping a bit, it was not to bad so i ignored it. the next morning i had lost 80% of my channels. the working ones where Sky news and BBC and ITV etc. they where a bit jumpy though. so i give sky a call, they give me some stuff to try, (resetting the settings and running the channel search again. to no avail, the woman then said oh it will cost you £65 for an engineer to come out and look at it. I said ill think about it. i dont want to hand over 65qud if i think im getting a raw deal. i have had sky Digital for about 2 years now. never had any problems apart from a few months ago when my sky dish was covered in show :-ohmy ;), anyway early this morning i turned the digi box on to see if it had cleared up. Only to find no channels working and it just sticking on "No signal" so I left it for a while and still no signal. i then tried a software update as mention on this forum. It worked fine, afterwards i managed to get some channels back, BBC,ITV,Sky news etc. but still not all my subscription channels. almost 90% of them dont work. im paying something like 40£ a month to watch BBC and ITV! anyway im at a loss to what could be the problem,

I checked my signal strength and it was a little bit over 50% and my signal quality is around 60-70%. Yet only a few channels work. i dont understand it anymore. a few of my friends paid for a Sky engineer to fix a similar problem and i dont want to be ripped off too. :( anyone have any idea how to fix this problem or what may help it?

Thank you very much.

;)

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Welcome to the forum briggsy, we really need to know the make and model of your Digibox to see what the possible problem is.

A good start would be to disconnect your box and take it to a neighbour's house to try it on their dish, that would at least show or discount a faulty digibox.

The signal strength and quality reading shown on the receiver is only from one transponder, so is not always an accurate assessment of dish alignment.

briggsy

Reaction score
Hi thank you for the reply, it is a Pace 2 Sky digi box, i called sky. told them im not going to pay them and want my sky cut off. They then said. (Oh we don’t like loosing customers. if we where to offer you a free repair will you stay on?) So now i have a engineer coming on Monday. hopefully it will be sorted out.