sky/sky+ phone line outside UK

lutek lobster

Reaction score
Do I need to disable the phone line if I set up a new sky or sky+ box for viewing outside of the UK? Or does the box automatically accept that the phoneline is not connected?
Cheers, ll

iceman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3.0m Motorised Channel Master + 4 fixed dish Amstrad_DRX890C
DM7020s,DM800se
UNOHM EP314 PROMAX TV Explorer
My Location
Kyrenia - NORTH CYPRUS
lutek lobster said:
Do I need to disable the phone line if I set up a new sky or sky+ box for viewing outside of the UK? Or does the box automatically accept that the phoneline is not connected?
Cheers, ll

NEVER EVER connect a phone line if you are outside UK!!
The box does NOT need a phone line to work...

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2xPace 430N, 1xNokia MM9800, 1xNokia 80cm Sat Dish, 1xGibertini 120cm, Big Fat Furry Puss
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
Just to add to what Iceman said ....

Additionally, you don't have to disable anything. During the 'New Installation' process (SERVICES-4-0-1-SELECT) you will see a 'No Telephone Connection' message. When prompted, press 'BACKUP'.

Other rambles (written before concise answer).

You can connect your box to the phone-line if you want; but, keep in mind that a SKY STB is designed for UK use (sic) - so, with any stored numbers on-board, you might end-up terrorising some granny at the other end of your actual country of residence. Basically, you won't get anywhere with a straight connection if you are outside the UK. When I tried, my STB didn't even recognise the German dial tone.

Whatever. If you pay full-bucks for a STB/STB+ - there is no obligation to connect to a phone line: period!

Never partake of any 'offers' from SKY as they will generally require you to connect your STB to a working phone-line for at least a year. This is also true of second subscriptions and extra boxes, AFAIK.)(-red

Your usual everyday dealings with SKY are generally processed 'over the air' by satellite; e.g., Subscriber/FTV card Activation, SKY+ Record Functionality, Package Upgrades and STB Software Downloads.

However, when dealing with SKY, you will need a phone - er, so that you can speak to them (sic) :D :D

Have Fun,

Mark.

lutek lobster

Reaction score
Thanks guys, have had an ord skybox for a long time, am looking forward to the sky+. I had never considered attaching the phoneline, but the thought of scaring a Polish babcia somewhere...well not right now anyway.

I thought sky+ was a complete rip-off until I realised it was free for those of us crazy enough to pay for a premium package, and the icing on the cake was the realisation that an upgrade to 160 or even 250 was also a possibility.

Simplydigital is providing me with a 40 box at the same price as in the uk, including post to poland...how cool is that! For some reason they deducted VAT (shhh!!).
Nice service, if it arrives this week!!

Cheers

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2xPace 430N, 1xNokia MM9800, 1xNokia 80cm Sat Dish, 1xGibertini 120cm, Big Fat Furry Puss
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
Lucky ..stard for having no VAT added! Its GBP23 something VAT for me in Germany.O-no

Would you mind letting me know if everything goes OK with them. I looked at their site some time ago and wasn't sure if the 'Shipping Destination' pull-down menu wasn't just a list of countries (sic). Their prices are very reasonable.

Thanks for taking the plunge.:-respekt

Ahh, there is no nicer feeling in life than to hold a freshly presented ribben-wrapped package in your hands: especially when you have paid some and its from a far away island.

Mark.

lutek lobster

Reaction score
Thanks for taking the plunge.:-respekt

Ahh, there is no nicer feeling in life than to hold a freshly presented ribben-wrapped package in your hands: especially when you have paid some and its from a far away island.

Mark.[/QUOTE]

Actually dirty brown tape! Ordered Sunday evening, delivered here in Warsaw yesterday, Thursday. Very impressive given that Poland has been operating at half pace all week. Even better was that I lifted it out of the box, connected the cables, inserted the card, called sky (mobile, call details hidden), and within minutes was recording. Okay, not total success, as I have not connected the 4*LNB that came with it, so my operations are limited to simple recording until I get out onto the roof. Go for it!!

iceman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7020s,DM800se
My Location
Kyrenia - NORTH CYPRUS
lutek lobster said:
I have not connected the 4*LNB that came with it, so my operations are limited to simple recording until I get out onto the roof.

I do not know your dish size or signal level in Poland but unless you have good reception,the quad LNB SKY supplied will not do the job,cos its crap..only good in UK.
Get yourself a decent twin or quad LNB

iceman

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Beat me to it iceman :) Specifically designed for the minidish, performs badly on anything else (particularly in fringe locations). Should be able to unload it on eBay though and buy a more suitable one.

lutek lobster

Reaction score
rolfw said:
Beat me to it iceman :) Specifically designed for the minidish, performs badly on anything else (particularly in fringe locations). Should be able to unload it on eBay though and buy a more suitable one.

Thanks guys, will get my friendly sat guy to get me a diff one. BUT, now I have a MAJOR problem, and MARK from Berlin, listen up....

I have only just checked my premium channels, getting ready for the footie, and shiock horror, I get a message saying that this type of card is not right for this STB. There's a sky number for help, which I will resort to if the greater wisdom on this board does not prevail. Does that make any sense? My ord sky box was/is a panny, and the new one is a pace.

I did not do any proper installation...per my note above, I just plugged and palyed...would this help with this issue?

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
Phone SKY.;)

You should pair the card to your new STB+.

Off Topic: I take it that you have one card and two boxes now, correct? Hows that gonna work in the long-run, or has the first box hit the dust?

Really OT, but addresses one of your points ....

I have a FTV card that worked fine in my Panasonic until I bunged-in my mates sub card for testing purposes:cool: . When I put my card back in it went through the whole initialising thing - and now shows me the same message you see.

It only appears on *some* channels: coincidentally, the same low-grade sub channels that my mates sub card couldn't, for arguments sake, decrypt.

This message continues to haunt me even with my own card back in and after I did a fresh 'New Installation' and fresh Software download. Uumm.

Have fun,

Mark.

lutek lobster

Reaction score
mljgmljg said:
Phone SKY.;)

You should pair the card to your new STB+.

Off Topic: I take it that you have one card and two boxes now, correct? Hows that gonna work in the long-run, or has the first box hit the dust?

Really OT, but addresses one of your points ....

I have a FTV card that worked fine in my Panasonic until I bunged-in my mates sub card for testing purposes:cool: . When I put my card back in it went through the whole initialising thing - and now shows me the same message you see.

It only appears on *some* channels: coincidentally, the same low-grade sub channels that my mates sub card couldn't, for arguments sake, decrypt.

This message continues to haunt me even with my own card back in and after I did a fresh 'New Installation' and fresh Software download. Uumm.

Have fun,

Mark.

Mark, you'll see I've opened this issue up on a new topic, and Rolfw has been quick as ever, but the response does not fill me with hope...

The old box had been destined for a place we go to the odd weekend with the kids, and it would have meant just taking the card with me rather than the whole stb, but now I'm not so sure. The house here in warsaw is wired for tv in each room (okay, but just the same channel), so I don't need the 2nd box here.

Hmmm, back to the drawing board.

feri25

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Position: 50.51N 4.21E - 80 cm Dish - Digital Echostar 2200 2Ci 2Viaccess - Mrv
Hi guys

I am in Belgium and looknig to find a good way to have Sky box. Have you any suggestion for me? Of course cheaper and safer is more welcome. ;)

lutek lobster

Reaction score
feri25 said:
Hi guys

I am in Belgium and looknig to find a good way to have Sky box. Have you any suggestion for me? Of course cheaper and safer is more welcome. ;)

You'll need an address in the UK or Ireland, and get a subscription, and then get the box delivered from that address for you. There are some companies that can assist you to do this, but I cant recommend any.

iceman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7020s,DM800se
My Location
Kyrenia - NORTH CYPRUS
feri25 said:
Hi guys

Is it just the skybox you want or do you want a subscription also?
If you want both skybox+sub then i can recomend http://www.skycards.uk.net/
I get all my boxes & subs from them..

iceman

feri25

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Position: 50.51N 4.21E - 80 cm Dish - Digital Echostar 2200 2Ci 2Viaccess - Mrv
iceman said:
Is it just the skybox you want or do you want a subscription also?
If you want both skybox+sub then i can recomend http://www.skycards.uk.net/
I get all my boxes & subs from them..

iceman

Yes I need both, I just want to begin with Sky Box here. Thanks for your recommendation.

lutek lobster

Reaction score
feri25 said:
Yes I need both, I just want to begin with Sky Box here. Thanks for your recommendation.

Feri, Iceman's referral charges an admin fee which adds about 25% to the cost...a friend in the UK will be able to save you that.

iceman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7020s,DM800se
My Location
Kyrenia - NORTH CYPRUS
lutek lobster said:
Feri, Iceman's referral charges an admin fee which adds about 25% to the cost...a friend in the UK will be able to save you that.

That is true....They do charge £120 anually for handling your account and all the problems you might have with SKY...But i know the ownwer & manager for 25 years now..I have no worries when i order from them recomend to people..

@lutekk lobster
What does your friend earn for supplying subscriptions abroad? And have long has he been in business?

iceman

lutek lobster

Reaction score
[@lutekk lobster
What does your friend earn for supplying subscriptions abroad? And have long has he been in business?

iceman[/QUOTE]

Iceman, my friend is just that, a friend...its not a business, so I am just registered at his address. He gets an occasional pint from me, but very occasional as I haven't seen him for two years!!! I applaud you for your transparency in disclosing your relationship to your recommendation.

Cheers

iceman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7020s,DM800se
My Location
Kyrenia - NORTH CYPRUS
@lutek lobster
Rather than ordering from an unknown source,I prefer to order from a source i personally know and trust...To me that security is worth paying a little extra.
I am not advertising anyone here,i just recomended a source i personally trust.

iceman

lutek lobster

Reaction score
So the quad LNB which came with the sky+ (Raven, I think?) was connected by the sat guy, and the picture quality is fine (per my wife, I'm not at home, so we'll see...;)) and more importantly my wife tells me that Sky+ is operating with full functionality (including premium channels, again, Rolfw, thanks)

For the record, on the signal test, we get about 50% strength, and 75% quality on both feeds...

Now, my sat guy has charged me about 40 euros for sth he had to use to connect the quad LNB in exchange for the old LNB....I've no idea what the english is for the gadget, but the Polish word translates as sth like "returner"...does this sound like a legit charge, or have I been ripped off ?

Cheers, ll