sky sports news frequency - effects on Freesat?

william-1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
OP Gibertini 100 XP+ Inverto Black Ultra Lnb
Superior Dark Motor (160° max)
(50 east to 45 west)
Octagon SX88+Optima (A/B switch) Edision primo IP S2

Raven 88cm Mesh Dish + IBU Twin output
Stab100 H to H (120° max)
(53 east to 45 west)
Octagon SX88+ Ultra HD (A/B switch) Golden Interstar Alpha_X
My Location
Epping Forest Essex
All the channels on 12148 H 27500 @ 28.2 east now use iCam encryption so they can only be viewed on an official Sky receiver.

Broadband TV News

John Pykett

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dish setup: 80cm Motorized Dish, TM-5402 HD M3. This setup goes from 1w to 28.2e

My computer setup: AMD Athlon II X4 645 3.10 GHz processor and 8GB of ram. Graphics Card is NVIDIA GTX 750 Ti. OS: Windows 10 64 Bit
My Location
Hucknall, United Kingdom
will this affect all freesat channels?

John Pykett

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dish setup: 80cm Motorized Dish, TM-5402 HD M3. This setup goes from 1w to 28.2e

My computer setup: AMD Athlon II X4 645 3.10 GHz processor and 8GB of ram. Graphics Card is NVIDIA GTX 750 Ti. OS: Windows 10 64 Bit
My Location
Hucknall, United Kingdom
Never knew Freesat channels were encrypted. The clue is in the name...
considering a frequency mentioned in this post has a freesat channel on it i hope that channel wont become encrypted

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
If a channel is encrypted then it cannot, by definition be part of the Freesat channel line-up. The owner of any channel has the right to chose to move to encryption if they want to but it's unlikely for the vast majority.

The only channels which are at all likely to encrypt (or re-encrypt as the were originally encrypted and then went to FTA) are the $ly ones such as $ly News, Pick, etc.

John Pykett

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Hucknall, United Kingdom
If a channel is encrypted then it cannot, by definition be part of the Freesat channel line-up. The owner of any channel has the right to chose to move to encryption if they want to but it's unlikely for the vast majority.

The only channels which are at all likely to encrypt (or re-encrypt as the were originally encrypted and then went to FTA) are the $ly ones such as $ly News, Pick, etc.
unlikely they are going to that because they will make freesat users angry and make them switch over to freeview

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
So why ask a pointless question?

Anyway, as has been pointed out this nothing to do with the post as per the title.

John Pykett

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Hucknall, United Kingdom
So why ask a pointless question?

Anyway, as has been pointed out this nothing to do with the post as per the title.
so im guessing the encryption change only affects premium channels on sky then? im assuming all channels currently on freesat wont be affected such as pick and sky news?

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
You can't assume with Pick or $ly News as I said.

WRT to the encryption changes $ly seem to be phasing this in starting with the premium/HD channels. It's difficult to second guess $ly but I would be surprised if they would leave any of their encrypted channels unchanged but how long that will take is anyone's guess.

John Pykett

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Hucknall, United Kingdom
You can't assume with Pick or $ly News as I said.

WRT to the encryption changes $ly seem to be phasing this in starting with the premium/HD channels. It's difficult to second guess $ly but I would be surprised if they would leave any of their encrypted channels unchanged but how long that will take is anyone's guess.
:( why are they doing this they are going to mess over a lot of freesat/sky users

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
They're not going to affect ANY Freesat channels. They're not encrypted.

They're not going to affect ANY $ly subscribers with genuine subscriptions in genuine $ly boxes.

This is all aimed at stopping the illegal viewing of their channels over internet. If it happens to affect some people with a genuine subscription in an non-genuine box then $ly don't care as they will say that they are breaking their contract doing that.

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
They are not doing anything that will affect any Freesat or a legitimate Sky viewer....

John Pykett

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Hucknall, United Kingdom
They're not going to affect ANY Freesat channels. They're not encrypted.

They;re not going to affect ANY $ly subscribers with genuine subscriptions in genuine $ly boxes.

This is all aimed at stopping the illegal viewing of their channels over internet. If it happens to affect some people with a genuine subscription in an non-genuine box then $ly don't care as they will say that they are breaking their contract doing that.
then what about the sky fta channels on satellite then?

skomedal

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
This and that
My Location
thule
:( why are they doing this they are going to mess over a lot of freesat/sky users

Foil p@yservers maybe:-ohcrap

Just my opinion.

Sorry for going off topic!

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
The whole thread seems to shifting off-topic but you're right about foiling the payservers.

Whether of $ly choose to put their channels behind a paywall is entirely up them. It could take place at any time and the change in the type of encryption is irrelevant to this decision.

I'll look at splitting this off into its own thread if necessary

EDIT

Now in a thread of its own with some posts now no longer needed.

Last edited:

John Pykett

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Hucknall, United Kingdom
The whole thread seems to shifting off-topic but you're right about foiling the payservers.

Whether of $ly choose to put their channels behind a paywall is entirely up them. It could take place at any time and the change in the type of encryption is irrelevant to this decision.

I'll look at splitting this off into its own thread if necessary
your right but i think they are just gonna use the new encryption on all encrypted channels on astra 2 the fta channels will be uneffected

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
That's exactly what we've been saying.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
They are not doing anything that will affect any Freesat or a legitimate Sky viewer....
They're not going to affect ANY $ly subscribers with genuine subscriptions in genuine $ly boxes.

That is not quite true, as I was the one that raised this. I have three clients that require assistance in
1) Swopping Sky boxes out,
2) Identifying which box from a double satellite system is the one that Sky have sent a replacement box for (in plain packaging). Upstairs , downstairs.

So, there is a callout or one hours work, and in the case late last week, a return to site when Sky would not answer the succinct question to 2) over the phone unless their subscriber would give permission and a password (which she had forgotten). I should have put on a high voice when I was on site first time round.

They are long term clients as well (16 years +) and their bill for the service is currently a shade over a thousand pounds a year after taking out the 'money saving' triple bundle from them.
(The bedridden husband has hinted at putting eight/ten bricks in the self-addressed return parcel for the old box, I could not possibly comment)

satpete

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
tecatel/s 1.35m offset dish , inverto black ultra quad lmb, ferguson ariva 202e and sky hd drx595 receivers
My Location
la zenia, costa blanca, Spain and Surrey England
As above post, as a non techie, I believe the encryption change on 12148h is: 1, a gentle nudge re slys announcement that as from 31/12/16 that all customers with the older boxes to get a free replacement, offer ending 12 am Friday 30th June. which I presume they will then transfer at least one or two more transponders with the new ID, which would then prompt subscribers to get in touch with them. Or : 2, the only ones that won't be getting in touch will be the ever increasing amount of illegal card sharers using the old boxes which seem to have sprung up. which now will be losing the encrypted channels and hopefully their illegal customers

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
OK, guilty of oversimplification to make a point.

$ly have stated that they will end support for early (and middle aged?) boxes and this will no doubt accelerate their replacement.