Sky Television To Do 2nd Callback Effecting STB's abroad

mjc410

Reaction score
Sky television to do 2nd callback on all boxes, this will effect all boxes that are not connected to phone line, hence that boxes abroad with 2nd hand contracts WILL go off. Inside information tells me that this will be in effect within the next month.

mjc410

Reaction score
Also this means that all new contracts must be put with new boxes that marry up to the ASA purchased STB..........Sky know too much!!!!!!!!

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Can't see how thay can do that MJC, there must be a huge amount of subscribers with no phone connection, probably in the millions. Can they really afford to lose that much custom?

Also they will be breaking their contract with those who did not take advantage of the interactive discount.

One thing for sure, if my box that isn't connected to the phone line is disabled, the other that is connected will be cancelled and I think that this will be echoed across the country.

How reliable is this inside information?

N

net1

mjc410 said:
Also this means that all new contracts must be put with new boxes that marry up to the ASA purchased STB..........Sky know too much!!!!!!!!

All contracts do marry up to the STBs after they are installed in a customers house M8. When a card is ordered for a customer a contract number is given. Once the box is is installed in that customers house a callback is made via the digibox giving all the details of that box number to Sky HQ. So Sky know where that box is from leaving the factory to the wholesaler, to the retailer and then to the customer. The box number is tracked all the way. Sky have known for a long time that boxes are going abroad and I dont think Uncle Rupert will bother as long as he is getting his cut from the subscriptions.
Net1

Robbie34

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
mjc410 said:
Sky television to do 2nd callback on all boxes, this will effect all boxes that are not connected to phone line, hence that boxes abroad with 2nd hand contracts WILL go off. Inside information tells me that this will be in effect within the next month.

I'm not sure I understand this. How can Sky call any box that is not connected to a 'phone line, irrespective of whether it's abroad or in the UK?

Are you suggesting that Sky are going to disconnect every box that is not connected to a 'phone line? Virtually all of the boxes abroad are out of contract, or have been bought without a subsidy. If they did this Sky would bankrupt itself.

N

net1

Robbie34 said:
I'm not sure I understand this. How can Sky call any box that is not connected to a 'phone line, irrespective of whether it's abroad or in the UK?

Are you suggesting that Sky are going to disconnect every box that is not connected to a 'phone line? Virtually all of the boxes abroad are out of contract, or have been bought without a subsidy. If they did this Sky would bankrupt itself.

Have just spoken to Sky and they appear to know nothing about it.
So I will leave you to draw your own conclusions.
Net 1

indios_se

Reaction score
Website
www.skyforeurope.com
My Location
Sweden
Robbie34 said:

i wouldnt worry. mjc seems bent on causing disruption judging by the last 2 ridiculous topics he's posted, i know quite a lot of people/companies myself and its a lot of tosh. also the other post of his about his 'foreign' credit card being cancelled ? well theres thousands of foreign credit cards used to get sky too, and they aint gonna be cut off. no way unless of course he'd like to supply evidence. end of thread time.

mjc410

Reaction score
No it is true, i should have clarified that it is only going to effect customers that have entered into the BIB agreement within the last 12 months. Also this information has come from Tim Wright at Sky who is the Head of Independant Retail

mjc410

Reaction score
With regard to contracts marrying up..........

SKY say that if a box is bought by ASA on his retailer number, it is his retailer number that is in the top right hand corner of the contract that must be be put on the contract, otherwise this may cause implications later, so the emphisis is that you can't bring your own box abroad and then ask a local installer to provide you with a sky card or contract, because most sky cards and contracts have originated from an ASA

Robbie34

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
mjc410 said:
With regard to contracts marrying up..........

SKY say that if a box is bought by ASA on his retailer number, it is his retailer number that is in the top right hand corner of the contract that must be be put on the contract, otherwise this may cause implications later, so the emphisis is that you can't bring your own box abroad and then ask a local installer to provide you with a sky card or contract, because most sky cards and contracts have originated from an ASA

What are the implications that will be caused? I don't know what you mean by an ASA, but if this has something to do with buying a susidised box then perhaps Sky will cut them off if they are still within the 12 month period and they are not connected to a 'phone line. However, there is absolutely no way that Sky could force every subscriber to connect their box to a 'phone line, and they have no way of knowing whether a box is in Timbuctoo or Inverness.

zansi

Moderator & General Globetrotter
Reaction score
Website
digiboxes.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
Openbox F3 85cm dish H to H motor, Dell Vostro Laptop
My Location
North West UK
I think Sky are trying to "tighten up" on the greedy retailers who are selling boxes + cards abroad at vast profit that they have bought at the ASA subsidised price and also claimed the payback from Sky.

Zorba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3m(28.2E),1.5m(19.2E.13E,10E),1m (4W ,7W)1m (?).diseqc 10,sky plus,VU+,telergy iptv.
Satlook nit colour + Horizon hdsm.
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
On the sky contract it says that if the contract is broken ie if you disconnect from the phone line within 12 months,you MAY be liable to pay the interactive discount costs of up to 80 pounds.it does not mention being cut off

N

net1

zorba said:
On the sky contract it says that if the contract is broken ie if you disconnect from the phone line within 12 months,you MAY be liable to pay the interactive discount costs of up to 80 pounds.it does not mention being cut off

They will cut you off and then wait for you to phone them to ask them why your card has been switched off.

Zorba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3m(28.2E),1.5m(19.2E.13E,10E),1m (4W ,7W)1m (?).diseqc 10,sky plus,VU+,telergy iptv.
Satlook nit colour + Horizon hdsm.
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
net1 said:
They will cut you off and then wait for you to phone them to ask them why your card has been switched off.

Then sky will lose at least half of all those subscribers,the ones who panic or find no way of getting back online.On the other hand,where can I purchase a phone redialler???

micheal

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
mjc410 said:
No it is true, i should have clarified that it is only going to effect customers that have entered into the BIB agreement within the last 12 months. Also this information has come from Tim Wright at Sky who is the Head of Independant Retail

You are right that Sky will do more call backs, don't worry about being cut off, Sky are not that stupid. The ASA will pay NOT you. The credit card problem is being caused by VISA not Sky.

N

net1

micheal said:
You are right that Sky will do more call backs, don't worry about being cut off, Sky are not that stupid. The ASA will pay NOT you. The credit card problem is being caused by VISA not Sky.

Michael
Do you know what ASA stands for?. If not it is Authorised Sky Agent. That in effect means that, that person is authorised to sell or install Sky equipment on behalf of Sky and has nothing to do with the callback system. So I dont see how you can say that the ASA will have to pay.
Net1

micheal

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
net1 said:
Michael
Do you know what ASA stands for?. If not it is Authorised Sky Agent. That in effect means that, that person is authorised to sell or install Sky equipment on behalf of Sky and has nothing to do with the callback system. So I dont see how you can say that the ASA will have to pay.
Net1

Hi Net1, Maybe you have not had the clawbacks yet, wait you will and get a very nasty shock. In my previous mail last week I said VISA is the problem with payments to Sky from abroad and it is Oh and by the way I do know what ASA stands for. Regards