Sky to launch non-subscription package

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Taken from http://www.uk-wire.com/cgi-bin/articles/200406090830005601Z.html

Later this year, BSkyB will introduce a FTA satellite proposition offering
access to almost 200 television and radio channels and interactive services
which are available without a monthly subscription fee. Consumers will be able
to purchase a package of reception equipment (including a Sky digibox, minidish
and initial viewing card) direct from BSkyB for a one-off cost of £150.00
including standard professional installation.
They call it Free to air, but it is still free to view, so non-subscription would be more appropriate, don't think that £150 installed is a bad deal though.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Just out of curiosity, anyone know how many are to be TV channels out of the 200, and how many will not be advertising, religious or shopping channels ?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I would imagine that it'll be a guessing game until they release details. They may put a couple of tasters in there, perhaps like TCM, quite clever marketing, you can guarantee that the EPG will still show all of the channels you can't get.

lazydave

Reaction score
My Location
Aalborg, Denmark
My guess is that they will just release a new "free option" sky package where you still have a box and card and exist in sky's customer database etc., but where you don't get a bill. Of course, they'll make sure to have some "free view time" on the other sky channels from time to time so you might think of upgrading. ;) This would guarantee them a large number of "captive" potential customers. Even customers who don't wany sky channels anymore, would only have to "downgrade" their subscription to the free option again ... i.e. no hardware changes needed.

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
The battle is on........Sky v Freeview?

Nismo400R

Follow, Follow
Reaction score
My Location
Manchester UK
It seems so but I think quite a lot of people will just settle for the STB which you can install yourself without too much hassle.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
The stupid thing is that this probably won't cost them much if any money, they already have the installers in house, they get amazing discounts on the STBs and dish hardware.

I'm pretty sure that this is a shot across the bows of the BBC and its freesat plan with various partners, the only difference being that theirs will be cardless and international.

G

GotMyBusPass

You will find that there are still a lot of households that do not mind having a new TV aerial fitted to the chimney stack etc, but would never have a dish fitted the the house.

Sky would also have to consider the problem of dishes in conservation areas also only one dish on multiple dwellings. Perhaps Rupert will send some plain brown envelopes to Blah and Prescott as an incentive to get the dish laws changed :D

GMBP:)

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
I believe that they are in the process of changing them at the moment GMBP.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
jimbo said:
The battle is on........Sky v Freeview?

If TCM or any other film channel is going on the new package, they'll scupper Top Up TV overnight

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
Seems like a case of bolting the stable door etc. - the success of Freeview has obviously ruffled Rupe's feathers (excuse the mixed metaphor).

The only people who might take it up are those who have difficulty receiving decent digital terrestial signals.

Llew

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Llew said:
The only people who might take it up are those who have difficulty receiving decent digital terrestial signals

The difficulty of Free to View in Videoguard is of course no CAMs available and the need for a dedicated receiver from the main four. Unless one acquires a box and dish through a sale/auction/man in pub, it means entrusting a Sky agent to put it up, or run a twin LNB from the same dish.

Sky ran the same type of promotion a while ago. and the take up was good, no reason it shouldnt succeed this time round especially since theres a suggestion of more free channels.

My original question remains though , what are these going to be ?

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
lazydave said:
My guess is that they will just release a new "free option" sky package where you still have a box and card and exist in sky's customer database etc., but where you don't get a bill. Of course, they'll make sure to have some "free view time" on the other sky channels from time to time so you might think of upgrading. ;) This would guarantee them a large number of "captive" potential customers. Even customers who don't wany sky channels anymore, would only have to "downgrade" their subscription to the free option again ... i.e. no hardware changes needed.
Surely those subscribers on non-premium packages are going to be a tad upset if some of the subscription channels appear on an FTA package?
Can't think what else could be added to the already FTA stuff.

Llew

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Bloomberg Wales , SMS for pensioners, a web-cam of our neighbours skip

The possibilities are endless

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Llew said:
Surely those subscribers on non-premium packages are going to be a tad upset if some of the subscription channels appear on an FTA package?
Can't think what else could be added to the already FTA stuff.

Llew

Don't really think that is going to be a problem, they won't put things like Sky1 on there, but may put some of the lesser channels like TCM, probably not many that aren't currently available, but just enough to make it desirable and as CH says, scupper TopupTV.

The receiver and free installation for £150 as I said earlier is not bad value and I can see a lot of them disappearing out of the country in 12 months time. :)

Razor

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Ireland
Bummer...I've just gone back to SKY, got a letter today offering half price for 6months. As my son has never stopped asking for NICK JR back in his bedroom I made that call and got the family pack.....only took 55min for them to answer the call.

meldrew

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
North West
When analogue TV disappears the entire household will need to be
digital so can I have three of these in addition to my existing $ky
setup? This is a serious question as presently four members of my
family can each have a choice.

If I am ultimately restricted to a single *ky box and can't get
terrestrial digital then I am, as they say in the building trade, "bu*gered
for bricks!"

Meldrew

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
I see no reason why not, why not e-mail them on their site, many people would be interested in the answer.