Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Sky is to offer a complete subscription television package without a satellite dish for the first time.
From 2018, people who cannot have a dish installed will be able to receive Sky over the internet instead.
The company said the move would help it reach a further six million customers across Europe.
One analyst said the development was a "logical step", but customers would need to live in an area with fast broadband speeds to benefit.

Full Story

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
It can never be redundant, this is a gentle transfer of content coming into the property.

The vulnerability of cable and wires is still more than the loss/replacement of geostationary satellites and the equipment on the roof.
What broadband only means is a greater power by the provider to terminate any service you might be receiving, subscription, FTA (FTC) and the connection itself.

John Pykett

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dish setup: 80cm Motorized Dish, TM-5402 HD M3. This setup goes from 1w to 28.2e

My computer setup: AMD Athlon II X4 645 3.10 GHz processor and 8GB of ram. Graphics Card is NVIDIA GTX 750 Ti. OS: Windows 10 64 Bit
My Location
Hucknall, United Kingdom
so this means we wont have no more freesat or sky from satellite right?

John Pykett

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dish setup: 80cm Motorized Dish, TM-5402 HD M3. This setup goes from 1w to 28.2e

My computer setup: AMD Athlon II X4 645 3.10 GHz processor and 8GB of ram. Graphics Card is NVIDIA GTX 750 Ti. OS: Windows 10 64 Bit
My Location
Hucknall, United Kingdom
No, I just means that you would be able to get the service over the internet.

Just like you get sky from a sat dish.
what is the point of sky even doing this they could just add this option to now tv

A

Archive-8

what is the point of sky even doing this they could just add this option to now tv
Now TV is aimed at a different target audience.

Sky wants to offer the complete service via the internet, so people who can't have a dish can get the service.

John Pykett

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Hucknall, United Kingdom
Now TV is aimed at a different target audience.

Sky wants to offer the complete service via the internet, so people who can't have a dish can get the service.
but what if they get rid of their satellite service taking freesat with it?

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
They are unlikely to do that for at least 20 years as we do not have the web infrastructure in the UK, if you actually read the article it says to increase consumers by 6 million, in other words I suspect they have identified that number of consumers who are unable to receive satellite signals

John Pykett

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Hucknall, United Kingdom
They are unlikely to do that for at least 20 years as we do not have the web infrastructure in the UK, if you actually read the article it says to increase consumers by 6 million
but when they actually do it i might have to switch back to freeview

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
but when they actually do it i might have to switch back to freeview

When they actually do it the two will run side by side until something more advanced is available, ever the pessimist John, I prefer glass half full

John Pykett

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Hucknall, United Kingdom
When they actually do it the two will run side by side until something more advanced is available, ever the pessimist John, I prefer glass half full
thats good im glad i will still have freesat in 2018

A

Archive-8

They are unlikely to do that for at least 20 years as we do not have the web infrastructure in the UK, if you actually read the article it says to increase consumers by 6 million, in other words I suspect they have identified that number of consumers who are unable to receive satellite signals

They may have to revise that figure, from February 1st with the loss of discovery networks :D

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
They may have to revise that figure, from February 1st with the loss of discovery networks :D
Doubt that Chris, we had it for 26 years and I'll bet it was not watched more than that number of times in all those years, as good and as informative as it is, there were never enough hours in a day to watch everything

John Pykett

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Hucknall, United Kingdom
if they do lose a lot of customers they will be forced to reconsider

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors

Sky don't have that power: At present, the PSB Channels are obliged to have an FTA presence on Satellite, so even if the Sky Platform disappears from Satellite, the BBC etc Channels will remain - Only Government could legislate otherwise

John Pykett

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Hucknall, United Kingdom
Sky don't have that power: At present, the PSB Channels are obliged to have an FTA presence on Satellite, so even if the Sky Platform disappears from Satellite, the BBC etc Channels will remain - Only Government could legislate otherwise
but its unlikely that sky will disappear from satellite as topper said

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Exactly so.

I was answering the question you yourself posed .........

John Pykett

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Hucknall, United Kingdom
Exactly so.

I was answering the question you yourself posed .........
okay the point of this topic is that sky is offering another service for people who cant get dish but they will still supply their dish for people who can

A

Archive-8

okay the point of this topic is that sky is offering another service for people who cant get dish but they will still supply their dish for people who can

It would probably be the choice of the consumer, as to what services they subscribe to, I.e. Satellite based or internet based.

Status
Not open for further replies.