Sky TV Retransmission

Costa Del

Reaction score
THIS WAS TAKEN FROM LJ SITE

CHECK THIS LINK OUT http://www.knplogic.co.uk/sport/FForum2.html

Why was Tenerife shut down! Canal Dutch is part of the Canal Digital Espana company and was being transmitted via microwave to thousands of homes in Tenerife with no permissions, who droped a bollock there. It will not be back up and running and please all be aware that bars and hotels will now be targeted by the filth for showing Sky Sports for a profit. Torrevieja ( Spain) will be targeted next and all the illegal cable companies that have been paying the Mayor all these years. The good days are over and it all very sad , for just a bit of TV. Thanks .

Regards
Costa Del

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1200cc with 100,000,000,000 neurons and 100,000,000,000,000 connections
My Location
Fife, Scotland
While I have nothing against people playing around with equipment and watching a bit of free TV themselves, I think taking money from people so that they can receive pirated TV channels should not be supported. I don’t know if it is worse that they were making a profit from free transmissions (BBC) or pay channels (like Sky channels and Canal Dutch). In my opinion people that run those services are no different from people selling cards for £50 in pubs.

I understand that people living in these areas have little other viable option of watching UK TV, but the people running these cable and retransmission companies are not doing it out of good will, they are doing it for money, and if that means taking advantage of where people live or their lack of knowledge then that’s what they do.

There was a cable company fairly near where I lived in Spain, Some British business people bought the infrastructure of a loss making local Spanish cable company, bought some Videocrypt (Sky analogue in those days) receives, put half a dozen sky channels onto the network and charged a subscription to watch them. This was in the days when videocrypt sky keys were everywhere and every other English pub or shop in the south of spain had an add in the window offering ‘latest sky card guaranteed for 6 months’ Think the cable company lasted for a few years before it was shut, at one point people found out how to hack the encryption they used, which I always thought was quite amusing.

mjc410

Reaction score
I think that Sky are putting measures in place to collect more revenue, but how will they monitor bars in spain.....surely they won´t have to pay a commercial rate, because how will they know, when the card is down a residential address? Although reading LJ Site it mentioned amounts of 350 quid a month.......gulp!!!

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Fife, Scotland
I doubt Sky’s main concern is with pubs in Spain only having a residential subscription. If Sky did act upon a pub viewing Sky abroad the result would be the pub no longer showing Sky rather than paying for a pub&club subscription. (as that isin’t allowed abroad either) Be it only a residential subscription, it is better than the alternatives.

So ultimately Sky would loose subscriptions by chasing up people abroad with UK registered cards, but they loose far less, and stand to gain by chasing up people retransmitting etc.

chrislloret

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Beautiful Catalunya,Spain
Sky would loose loads if they would chase up on subs outside GB. Alone here in my region (north of Barcelona) are an estemated 40000 subs. All over spain, including the temps that only come over the winter, they think there are about 250000!!!!!! Just think times 30pounds.......Thats a lot of cash even for sky.
Retransmitting for money however should not be done, a real sub is cheaper anyway with 100 more channels.
sunny greetings
C

chrislloret

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Beautiful Catalunya,Spain
sorry, I meant 4000 subs up here......got to get the numbers right......

mjc410

Reaction score
Like you said guys I think the main problem is the fact that companies are re-transmitting Sky Channels and making a massive profit, but the main reason for this is that a standard installation is not cost effective due to the large dish sizes required and the re-transmitted system is cheap and can be recieved by a micro mesh dish/aerial, although the quality is crap, the the normal punter in the street will go for cheap and these companies are benefiting rather than sky (you wonder why they are upset). This is why they have affiliated themselves to a broadcasting body in Spain to ensure the correct royalties are being paid, and the spanish government is skint and no doubt they will recieve some reimbursement from murdoch.

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Fife, Scotland
mjc410 said:
...This is why they have affiliated themselves to a broadcasting body in Spain to ensure the correct royalties are being paid, and the spanish government is skint and no doubt they will recieve some reimbursement from murdoch.

Not quite sure what you are referring to here mjc, are you suggesting that somehow the money from the subscribers of retransmitted Sky channels makes its way back to Sky? (other than in the form of the subscriptions needed to decrypt the channels and put them on the network in the first place)?

It is nothing to the Spanish government if SkyUK are getting ripped off, so their inaction on the situation doesn’t mean that the channels on the rebroadcast and cable systems are regulated, or legal, or that the correct royalties are paid. (The correct royalties could never be paid for the Sky and BBC channels, Sky and BBC themselves don’t have the copyrights to broadcast outside the UK, so can’t charge other companies to rebroadcast what they are showing)

mjc410

Reaction score
To Clarify I think the re-transmission companies who are benifiting from this are likely to be closed down unless they pay sky a fee for licensing similar to cable companies who broadcast sky channels on cable in Holland

With regard to pubs and bars who knows

rob43

Reaction score
My Location
canaries
hi guys. i think there was only one sky or c+ movie channel being use by the re-trans people. bbc1, bbc2, itv, and artsport2 were the others, i think! apparently the word is that two other sat installer companies (not involved in the re-trans) denounced the ones who were. then all hell broke loose. this is just what i heard and maybe not fact. rob43

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Fife, Scotland
mjc410 said:
...unless they pay sky a fee for licensing similar to cable companies who broadcast sky channels on cable in Holland...

How many cable companies actually carry Sky channels in Holland straight from UK Sky TV?

I knew they carry BBC channels (as in some areas they can be received terrestrially anyway) but wasn’t aware that any official, completely legal, cable company broadcast UK Sky channels (other than FTA stuff like news that is) and paid Sky royalties for them.

Costa Del

Reaction score
I think rob43, you are right, was this in tenerife? I think it was. But if rumours are correct Torrevieja is to be targeted next, I know a few dealers that are experiencing legal problems now. Also it appears that recently they have gone digital and now using this as there last gasp effort to fleece people of even more money. The best way is to keep it as legitimate as possible by getting your own dish installed and subscribing to murdoch otherwise these sharks will carry on taking your money when they know they are just about to get shut down just like Tenerife.

Costa Del

Reaction score
News is companies in Torrevieja are now trying to sell their equipment, fear of having it confiscated by the Police!!!!!!!!! and losing S@!t loads of cash. What the punters are going to do who knows, coz in this area they need a 2.0m - 2.4m dish to watch anything on astra 2d

Costa Del

Reaction score
Been doing some research with regard to the Bars and Hotels / Community systems please check out the following report​
REPORT FROM THE COMMISSION​
REPORT FROM THE EUROPEAN COMMISSION ON THE APPLICATION OF​
COUNCIL DIRECTIVE 93/83/EEC ON THE COORDINATION OF CERTAIN​
RULES CONCERNING COPYRIGHT AND RIGHTS RELATED TO COPYRIGHT​
APPLICABLE TO SATELLITE BROADCASTING AND CABLE​
RETRANSMISSION​
The only thing as it has been reported on LJ site is that I cannot find any connection between sky or BBC with regard to this......but hotels and bars are now being targeted also.......what is the name of this the spanish govenment agency??????????????​

RJG_Marbella

Reaction score
My Location
Marbella, Costa Del Sol
I am a sat dealer in Costa Del Sol and yes Costa Del, your information is correct, I can confirm that one dealer from Torrevieja has offered me his equipment for sale. Just as well i read this forum.

Many Thanks

mjc410

Reaction score
Does this mean that the MMDS system in Torrevieja is going down? and what about the cable companies on costa del sol and costa blanca is this going to be the same