Sky+ Unusual Problem (Won't Boot)

SMRGroup

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+ ×2, Humax PVR-9100, Force Frontier T90, Humax 0.3dB LNBs ×8, DiSEqC 4:1 switch ×2, Infinity Phoenix USB/serial smartcard programmer, Dragon CAM, ye olde Nokia SAT-1800 IRD (analogue)
My Location
Cheshire
I've an original Sky+ box. At about 4am this morning while watching Sky News I suddenly got a black screen. The box looked dead, not even a red LED on the front, but it was generating some sort of video signal (black).

I unplugged, waited a while then plugged it back in. The red LED comes on, the drive spins up but them after about ten seconds the LED turns off and the box just stops dead.

I tried pressing and holding Backup on the front panel; that forced a software upgrade but when the box rebooted, the exact same thing happened.

This seems like an unusal problem, but does anyone think it's hard disk related? Thanks for any pointers.

Leee

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+ v2 (120Gb); DM7020Si*motorised; PC/S2-3200
My Location
47°N/8°E/490m
most likely disk won't spin up ...... replace with larger model, you know it makes sense ;)

SMRGroup

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+ ×2, Humax PVR-9100, Force Frontier T90, Humax 0.3dB LNBs ×8, DiSEqC 4:1 switch ×2, Infinity Phoenix USB/serial smartcard programmer, Dragon CAM, ye olde Nokia SAT-1800 IRD (analogue)
My Location
Cheshire
Actually the disk was spinning up, I could hear it, but I figured the disk must be the problem so ordered a replacement.

Before it arrived, the damn box fixed itself, I did nothing, just left it turned on (in standby). I just noticed that the red LED had come back on and it's worked perfectly since.

Anyone want a new 80Gb Seagate? :-doh!