My Satellite Setup
DM7020 Screambox
MAC OSX & windowzz 98SE
Gemini
1664 on tap
My Location
13°E
Hi

I have a yellow house FTV sky viewing card for ITV1&2 CH4&5. When I got it I read somewhere that they shall need to be renewed every 2 years.

Is this true or do we just have to sit back and wait for SLY to flick the switch.

benidormgary

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sigh-only Sky for now-Im back in the UK.......
My Location
Blackpool(Ex-Benidorm and Paignton)
They will give plenty of warning when they change cards.I think they will only consider changing them when, and if they are hacked,and to introduce new technology to them,and as far as I know,theres no sign of that yet.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
The cards should be valid for at least 5 years unless they happen to be hacked.

BadWithComputer

The Local Drunkard
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
30MB ADSL ONO, Spain
32" Internet connected TV
Many Satellite Dishes.
Humax HD Freesat Box
My Location
Spain
We bought a FTV card from JW air sat (A company in Mojacar) and they said it would only work until december. Is there any way to find that out for certain?

whatsthis

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7020 Screambox
MAC OSX & windowzz 98SE
Gemini
1664 on tap
My Location
13°E
Thats what I heard Alex
When I got the card I was told that they run out in December 2005 - thats why I asked the question because I'd have to arrange to get back to blightly to get a new card activated.
Wait and see

wallycharlo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800 / 1m Gibertini XP
My Location
Western Austria
the current cards have already been compromised, as it is now possible to use a $ky card in a non$ky receiver, which can lead to people getting $ky for free. In this respect a card change could be of benefit to $ky, although maybe not, as any new card may just as likely find it self opened by non$ky equipment after a certain amount of time.

simonskyman

I do dishes,me.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
big dish,sat box thingy,colour tv.and a remote control.
My Location
Limassol,Cyprus
AlexBellisBrown said:
We bought a FTV card from JW air sat (A company in Mojacar) and they said it would only work until december. Is there any way to find that out for certain?
Well,if its not working in January then you know its true.

Zorba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3m(28.2E),1.5m(19.2E.13E,10E),1m (4W ,7W)1m (?).diseqc 10,sky plus,VU+,telergy iptv.
Satlook nit colour + Horizon hdsm.
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
If the cards were going to be stopped,I'm sure it would become common knowledge.They wouldn't do it with out informing the public and without telling them how to obtain replacements in advance.The last time Sky did a card change,they sent out cards to all registered users.I heard it cost them 12 pounds per card.The same rule for FTV cards.There was a big uproar,with the government involved ,the last time they stopped supplying FTV cards.

_stu_

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox DM7025 + 90cm Fibo Dish with Moteck SG2100A mod + Inverto White 0.3dB lnb + 55cm Philips Gregorian + Stab HH-120 + modded BGSat 0.3dB lnb
My Location
Worcs
wallycharlo said:
the current cards have already been compromised, as it is now possible to use a $ky card in a non$ky receiver, which can lead to people getting $ky for free. In this respect a card change could be of benefit to $ky, although maybe not, as any new card may just as likely find it self opened by non$ky equipment after a certain amount of time.

Sorry but that's complete nonsense. It IS possible to use the cards in a non-sky box, but that doesn't mean they have been compromised. It is NOT possible to get free sky tv by using a non-sky box.

Zorba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3m(28.2E),1.5m(19.2E.13E,10E),1m (4W ,7W)1m (?).diseqc 10,sky plus,VU+,telergy iptv.
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
_stu_ said:
Sorry but that's complete nonsense. It IS possible to use the cards in a non-sky box, but that doesn't mean they have been compromised. It is NOT possible to get free sky tv by using a non-sky box.
I think he meant sky free to view tv,in other words ftv.Does that mean if i put a ftv card in a,say,topfield receiver,I would get itv ch4 and five?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Wallycharlo is refering to card sharing on the Dreambox I would imagine, plus the capability of the Dragon CAM to operate with the Sky card, it doesn't of course mean that the card has been compromised, merely the NDS CAM.

Zorba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
There you go.,bit like chinese whispers.It always starts with "I read SOMEWHERE that..." and then we all go off on one. :D

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
The card sharing must really be of concern to Sly, but not in terms of the number of people 'getting it' for nout. The numbers are surely miniscule.

martz

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Thomson Sky+ PVR3, Pace 2200 Sky box, Zone 1 Triax minidish with Thomson Quad LNB, 1m Gibertini and Technomate TM-1500CI+ Super (Patched) 1metre Gibertini at Astra 1 19.2°e
My Location
Barnet, North London
how can it cost £12 per card, you can buy blank cards really cheap, i've seen them for under £3.00 each and thats at retail price, if you buy in bulk im sure it's a whole lot cheaper

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
You cannot buy the cards they use, they also have to be programmed, each one with a unique identity and carrying the correct package details, they need to be then verified and posted out, that of course doesn't include the cost of developing and testing the new encryption software.

db188

Reaction score
My Location
n.e.england
does a sly free to view card have to have the box connected to the phoneline.i think not at the moment as all of the ex pats boxes aren't but i received a letter telling me that my second box (multiroom) was not connected to the phone line as requested and that if i didn't comply then they would turn the whole card off to that receiver granted it was a full package not just a free to view.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
db188 said:
does a sly free to view card have to have the box connected to the phoneline.i

No it doesn't. :)

Zorba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
I think it has to if that box was part of the Multiroom set up.The small print says that both boxes have to be on line.If you have only a single box set up then you can disconnect it after 12 months.Correct me if I am wrong.

db188

Reaction score
My Location
n.e.england
so can a free to view card be copied as i guess the £20 sly charge is for the card +admin and not for copyright etc.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire