Sky + With One Cable - Sky going to offer this?

mpreed

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky + (one input only!)
Sony Bravia 42" LCD
PS3
Oppo DVD player
My Location
Edinburgh
I live in a flat with only one Sky connector, therefore making Sky+ use a bit of a pain.

The management company come down hard on people installing their own dishes (kinda with them on that for aesthetic reasons) but seem to be dragging their feet on provisioning Sky + (i.e. a second cable).

My latest mail exchange with the Management Company has them saying that Sky are close to offering Sky + over one cable, and they are waiting for this, rather than provisioning a second cable to flats. They say Sky will not be offering this for another six months at least.

Does anyone know anything about this?

I want to go back to them saying just get on and stick a second cable in, but would like some info on the Sky+ (and HD?) through a single cable.

Presumably (?!) this would need a replacement of the current cable with a unicable - would it also need a new design of Sky+ box to split the cable between the two tuners, or would it effectively need a 'destacker' at the 'client' end?

Anyone know anything about Sky's plans in this area (and timescales?)?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
They apparently have plans for a Single Cable Router system, it is not the Unicable system, it will involve a four way adapter on the multiswitch, then a SCR unit in the apartment. This will only work with the new range of digiboxes, yet to be released.

I doubt if it will launch before summer.

iceman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3.0m Motorised Channel Master + 4 fixed dish Amstrad_DRX890C
DM7020s,DM800se
UNOHM EP314 PROMAX TV Explorer
My Location
Kyrenia - NORTH CYPRUS
Why not use a Stacker Destacker??

These are Ideal for fitting Sky Plus to one existing satellite cable.
Just google the words stacker destacker for more info.;)

mpreed

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky + (one input only!)
Sony Bravia 42" LCD
PS3
Oppo DVD player
My Location
Edinburgh
I went to them about a year ago asking if they had any objection to me installing a stacker / destacker, but they said the single cable option was 'imminent' (this was a year ago.)

Also, the local installers I contacted said they didn't do destacker installs because they didn't work!

From reading up on them, they don't seem 100% flawless.

I'm going to go back to my management company and push them to get a second line installed, rather than telling us every six months that something will be happening soon ...

I just wondered if there was any information about this in the public domain before I went back to them.

It looks like the option they are pushing -

- Is at least six months away
- Would involve recabling anyway
- Would require us to buy new digiboxes.

Hardly an ideal solution!

Gaza 1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3Mtr Laser PF invacom .3 lnb and laser feed horn AD3000VAICP Cards Cams all the other Stuff
Annie 204 Spectrum
My Location
Fetihye S/w Turkey
depending on your cable run you might find that you have to use a line amp as they are a bit lossey can't remember Long time a goThe insertion loss had to use an ultra wide band amp which is made for this purpose look under Johanssen expensive but good but make sure you have a spare output from the switch

Gary

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
The disadvantage of the Stacker/DeStacker against the Single Cable Router system, is that you need a redundant port on the multiswitch (not always available), this is not necessary with the SCR, it uses existing "in use" ports.

Gaza 1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3Mtr Laser PF invacom .3 lnb and laser feed horn AD3000VAICP Cards Cams all the other Stuff
Annie 204 Spectrum
My Location
Fetihye S/w Turkey
How Does The Scr system Work I got admit this is a new one to me this is the problem being out of touch bugs me

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
There's a good excuse for not knowing much about it Gary, as they have kept it pretty close to their chest so far.

I'm not sure about the exact protocols used, but a four way loopthrough unit is put on four multiswitch outputs and the single cable runs to the apartment. At the apartment end, there is the Single Channel Router, to feed four tuners, it uses DiseqC protocol of a sort, but much more than that I don't know, it apparently doesn't provide a standard four universal outputs, as that wouldn't require any special mods to the digibox.