SKY+ works, but no premium channels, non UK enquiry

lutek lobster

Reaction score
I took delivery of a new pace sky+ box during the week, and installed it, relegating my trustworthy panny stb to the basement.

I have just tried to access my premium channels, but get a message saying this card type is wrong for this stb type. I called the sky help number, and they said that an engineer would need to do a call back through the box for them to alter my account settings...this was in my response to my not having a fixed phone line in my apartment.

Not being based in the UK, have I screwed my account up? Is there a way around this, and if not, even if I re-install my old panny, will I have still lost my premium channels?

Worried ll in Poland

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
If you put your old box back, the card should work in it. I had heard rumours though that they were to stop pairing boxes which are not connected to a phone line, you may need to persevere with phoning Sky, a successful outcome can often be dependent on who you speak to at Sky.

lutek lobster

Reaction score
rolfw said:
If you put your old box back, the card should work in it. I had heard rumours though that they were to stop pairing boxes which are not connected to a phone line, you may need to persevere with phoning Sky, a successful outcome can often be dependent on who you speak to at Sky.

Thanks Rolw, I'll check the other box tonight when the kids are asleep...and depending on the result I'll grovel along the lines of needing to watch sth very important on skysports, but that as I'm leaving the uk in a few days I don't have time for an engineer...anyone else got stories for them?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
If you have a phone line in house/flat in the UK, then you can do the callback from there without an engineer, then phone them and tell them that you have done a callback, but the card hasn't swapped to your new receiver.

If they refuse to do it, suggest that perhaps cancellation of the subscription is the best way to go then, they don't like losing full subs.

lutek lobster

Reaction score
rolfw said:
If you have a phone line in house/flat in the UK, then you can do the callback from there without an engineer, then phone them and tell them that you have done a callback, but the card hasn't swapped to your new receiver.

If they refuse to do it, suggest that perhaps cancellation of the subscription is the best way to go then, they don't like losing full subs.

Thanks, but what if they say they'll send an engineer??

I don't live in the UK, but there is a phone line at the UK address...is that sufficient?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Yep should be, they won't just send an engineer. You need to choose the "problems with your card or digibox" option on the phone and just tell them that your old box has broken and you have bought a new one.

lutek lobster

Reaction score
rolfw said:
Yep should be, they won't just send an engineer. You need to choose the "problems with your card or digibox" option on the phone and just tell them that your old box has broken and you have bought a new one.

ROLFW - you are a genius, thank you. All back working, it was a paring issue, but like you said it does depend on who you get...I didn't have to tell any wobblies, just my system details (version and serial numbers)...he then asked me if my phone was connected, and I said yeh (not true), and just as I was about to explain my way out of this, my mobile died....aaarrgh, but lo and behold one minute later all my premium channels were working.

One happy guy here in Warsaw. Thank you.

Now- one more question, if you don't mind. I had hoped to be able to use my card in the old panny box from time to time at another location, but I guess this is not an option if the card is now pared with the sky+ box?

Cheers, lutek the smiling red red lobster

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Well you can always use it in the other box, but you will not get the premium channels, that is the only limitation.

Glad you got it sorted though. :)

tells

Reaction score
It is also possible to reprogram a normal sky box (not sky+ that i know of) through the RS232 port and change the serial to your old box so the card works in both, i've done this and got 3 boxes in my house with the same serial and only 1 card, just take it with me from room to room :D

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Any more information on this tells?

tells

Reaction score
My bad, its a JTAG interface that is required to reprogram the I2C-EEPROM, not through RS232. it works on Pace 2500N boxes AFAIK.

Last time i did this was back in 2003, and i've never needed to change anything since, i'll sift through the files on my computer to recall how it was done.