Sky+

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2xPace 430N, 1xNokia MM9800, 1xNokia 80cm Sat Dish, 1xGibertini 120cm, Big Fat Furry Puss
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
Perhaps. However. ......

If I go out and purchase (normally at vast expense) a SKY+ box; then tell those SKY folk that I am comin' back and want a WORLD subscription: why, then, must I still have a physical phone connection for all of this rubbish to work ?

NOTE: I do not want any offers of any kind - I just want to buy a box and get what I pay for in terms of programming (sic).

Besides, me thinks that GBP 32.00000 a month (give or take the WORLD sub I am thinking of) is enough to keep the SKY accountants happy ?

Naturally, any more info on this racket is welcomed.

Have Fun,

Mark.

methos_de

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace Ver.3 SKY+ box
1,20m Dish
Quad Invacom 0, 3db LNB

P4 3,4 ghz
1024mb RAM
Geforce 256mb 6800 Ultra
My Location
Sunny old Bristol
This only applies though if you purchase a box with a sub from SKY or? If you were to get the box for an extortionate price without a sub and then later get a sub you shouldnt have to have it connected.

Methos.

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2xPace 430N, 1xNokia MM9800, 1xNokia 80cm Sat Dish, 1xGibertini 120cm, Big Fat Furry Puss
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
As a general rule, never phone SKY before you have had your wake-up coffee and/or fag.

It transpires that if I can get me hands on a SKY+ box - I do not need to have it connected to the phone system. They are not bothered if you have made all the necessary changes to the dish and/or you are clever. Wave GBP 32.00 up their nose and they will play ball. So, I'm happy.

If, however, you wish to have an extra sub - both boxes will need to be connected to the phone system for at least a year.

In short, if anything from SKY sounds cheap - it normally requires you to be hooked-up to the phone system (testicles are optional).

Have Fun,

Mark.

P.S. So who wants to sell me a SKY+ box for GBP 600.00

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
You can buy one for £250 or so on E-bay Mark.

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
Thanks Rolf,

GBP 250+ is that second-hand? I haven't a clue how much a 'new' one would be to buy?

I'll be honest, I like the one with the light thing on the front. I have seen pictures of another one - presumably this was the first modelle.

Have Fun,

Mark.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire

Leee

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+ v2 (120Gb); DM7020Si*motorised; PC/S2-3200
My Location
47°N/8°E/490m
are we saying here that if you were to get Sky+ for £199 from *somewhere* that you would have to have the thing connected to the phone line?

What about for installation? I am one of those slightly-not-on-UK-mainland - could I trot back to my house, connect to my dual/quad LNB, call Sky and have the new box married to my card?

That would be nice :)

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
Leee said:
are we saying here that if you were to get Sky+ for £199 from *somewhere* that you would have to have the thing connected to the phone line?

Yes, because that *somewhere* would be SKY. At that price a new SKY+ box can only be subsidised and, as such, SKY tie you to the phone connection for one year; albeit, not literally. After a full thirteen months you can throw the phone cable in the bin.

Leee said:
What about for installation? I am one of those slightly-not-on-UK-mainland - could I trot back to my house, connect to my dual/quad LNB, call Sky and have the new box married to my card?

You could, but, you would also have to live in the house if you were party to any discounts (see above).

If you bought the box outright you could sit it in its final resting place, phone SKY to set-up a subscription or shift an existing sub over to your SKY+ No need for an installation engineer come round in this case (unless known otherwise). This is precisely what I did with my ordinary digibox - a PVR (sic) isn't any different.

Rolf makes an important note. Return rates on faulty boxes are, IHHO, running a bit high.

Have Fun,

Mark.

P.S. Don't forget that you need a 'World' sub to qualify for the 'free' recording facilities.

Leee

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
47°N/8°E/490m
Thanks for the feedback, Mark. I was seeking clarification as to whether I'd need the box connected to the phone line for installation really. The address is mine, I have Sky now and want to switch to Sky+ :)

So in theory, the simple card-switch call would be all I need, I hope!

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Leee said:
So in theory, the simple card-switch call would be all I need, I hope!

I'm pretty certain that if it is a brand new box, you will need to run "New Installation" in the installer's menu before making the call, if the box has not been previously activated.

Leee

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
47°N/8°E/490m
thanks rolfw, the perfect answer ;)
I'll have a go with it when I get it :)

methos_de

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace Ver.3 SKY+ box
1,20m Dish
Quad Invacom 0, 3db LNB

P4 3,4 ghz
1024mb RAM
Geforce 256mb 6800 Ultra
My Location
Sunny old Bristol
mljgmljg said:
After a full thirteen months you can throw the phone cable in the bin..

why 13 months? the contract runs for 12 not 13.

Methos.

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
To correct myself. After 12months you can throw you phone cable in the bin - period. :-righton

I believe it to be a different story - circa 13 months all told - if you want to cancel your subscription after the minimum term.

Have Fun,

Mark.

waverider

Salty Tech Monster Bod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Protek 9750 HD IP, Spiderbox 9000HD. Cryptik Digital H-H Mount with1.2m Oval Dish and a box in the garage consisting of 2 obsolete STBs, various Cards and a couple of cams!
My Location
South East England
Thats correct mljgmljg...my phone lines disconected just in case they charge me for something i havent ordered....like they did a little while ago.......and that's what the phone lines for i believe...a resident Grass!...ever ready to shop yer!