Skybox F5 - Whining noise constantly

andyxxxx

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox DM800HD - Technomate TM600 - Technomate TM500 Super - SkyBox F5 -- Triax TD110 Dish on TM2600 Motor - Zone 1 sky dish
My Location
Newcastle, UK
I've bought a SkyBox F5 as another slave for my DM800HD server, and while it operates fine, there is sometimes (very often) a very high pitched whining sound, especially when viewing HD channels or after changing channel.

It seems to be some sort of Tuner/CPU/internal transformer(?) whine which is really quite distracting.

Has anyone else experienced this or have I bought a faulty unit?

Thanks all!

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Must be faulty - I've two F3 and they are dead silent. Can't imagine the F5 is that much different internally and of course it uses the same Firmware as the F3.

Best guess is the noise is from the Power Supply.

(I assume you mean the noise is coming directly from the box, not via your AV system speakers?)

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Maidenhead, UK & Helsinki, Finland
Could be a dodgy capacitor, especially if it's on the power supply.

andyxxxx

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox DM800HD - Technomate TM600 - Technomate TM500 Super - SkyBox F5 -- Triax TD110 Dish on TM2600 Motor - Zone 1 sky dish
My Location
Newcastle, UK
The noise is coming directly from the box, with the TV off the noise still exists.

It is coming from the box and not the mains transformer so must be something faulty inside the box, as I've had noisy mains adapters in the past so was the first thing I checked.

Looks like it will have to be returned for another. Oh well.