Advice Needed Skybox F5S Help

smada01

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Skybox F5s and Sky+ HD
My Location
South West Scotland
Hi there,

Looking for some much needed advice please.

I bought the F5s at the weekend and has been working fine until last night when I moved the sky+hd box into my bedroom once I had a new twin cable running from my dish.

The guy replaced the existing lnb with an Octo lnb, fitted the sky+ box and that works fine. However, now I dont get the movie channels on my F5s but the other channels seem fine, a couple of music channels aside.

can someone please offer some advice as I am a complete novice at this.

Thanks guys

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Movie Channels?

Did you buy this box with a "Gift"?

smada01

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Skybox F5s and Sky+ HD
My Location
South West Scotland
Thanks for your quick reply.

Yes it was bought with a gift. When I contacted the seller he said that on his server everything looked fine and it may be a dish problem and may be out of alignment.

Coincides with replacing the lnb so could this be the case? I have saw some comments about voltage issues too??

thanks

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
If you are getting Free to Air Channels ok, that suggests alignment is not an issue - but we can't totally rule it out: When an Octo LNB is fitted, it can cause the boom arm to flex a little under the extra weight.

As regards the "Gift", our Forum Rules preclude any discussion related to that as paid-for Card Shares are at best dodgy (Legally and Technically) and at worst fraudulent.

So apart from advising you to seek further advice from your Provider re: Scrambled Channels, there is little we can do other than suggest you check other Scrambled Channels for reception >> If none of them clear and yet all the FTA ones do, then it's a "Gift" issue, but if there are problems with some FTA ones as well then it could be dish alignment.

In the latter case, you could try gently pushing the boom arm up a tiny bit (to compensate for the weight of the Octo) and get someone to tell you if missing Channels appear.

Last edited:

smada01

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Skybox F5s and Sky+ HD
My Location
South West Scotland
Thank you. Understand your comment about forum rules.

is there anything that you can suggest with the flexing of the bokm arm? Is there a way to strengthen or support it?

Thanks

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Well the idea of gently flexing it upwards is to prove or disprove whether that's the cause: If it is, then the dish elevation need to be altered a tiny, tiny bit.

The person who fitted the Octo should have been aware of the possibility of creating an effective misalignment and consequently compensated for it at the time.

So, if flexing the boom arm improves matters, the Installer needs to be grabbed by the short and curlies to remedy it.

smada01

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Skybox F5s and Sky+ HD
My Location
South West Scotland
All very strange as the signal for the sky+ that was moved into the bedroomnis excellent.

I text the fitter this morning about it and he suggested it coukd be a card problem......obviously not to keen to come out again

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Ah, yes: As the Sky+ Box is ok, then you can home in on the real issue by putting the F5S on the Sky+ feeds and putting the Sky+ box on the F5 feeds.

If the problem moves with the F5, then I suspect it's your "Gift" which is the problem (And we can't discuss that)

If the problem stays with certain feeds, then there is a cabling/connection issue.

smada01

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Skybox F5s and Sky+ HD
My Location
South West Scotland
Good advice, I will try that after work and see what this brings.

thanks again, been very helpful and will post an update later.