SkyDigibox Help Needed

empsonsteve

Reaction score
I have been given a Panasonic TU-DSB40 digibox. It has a power cable one scart cable and a tv ariel and remote. There are no viewing cards or dish. What do I need to get to make this work.

zansi

Moderator & General Globetrotter
Reaction score
Website
digiboxes.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
Openbox F3 85cm dish H to H motor, Dell Vostro Laptop
My Location
North West UK
empsonsteve said:
I have been given a Panasonic TU-DSB40 digibox. It has a power cable one scart cable and a tv aerial lead and remote. There are no viewing cards or dish. What do I need to get to make this work.

You need a dish/lnb aligned to 28.2E and the you should receive channels as per this list -:

http://www.used-digiboxes.co.uk/FTA_Channel_List.htm

Anything further, a viewing card will be required. :)

robinwad

Reaction score
Is 28.3 different from where BBC used to be on the old SKy satellite?

Rob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate TMS-1500 CI+ "patched" receiver, 90cm p/f 36v motorised dish, Inverto C120 0.3db LNB, Moteck V-Box 2, Packard Bell 6052 XP Home computer, Toshiba A60 laptop, and lots of Russian Vodka !
My Location
Essex
Yes robin, they changed earlier in the year, oh and welcome.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
To clarify things, the BBC never transmitted their terrestrial service on the old analogue $ly service at 19E, they have only ever used the $ly digital at 28.2E so they have never changed position in the sky (small s).

What happened earlier this year was that they moved from Astra 2B to Astra 2D to tighten up the area that they transmitted to as they were just about to stop encrypting their transmission of the terrestrial services.

The BBC also transmit 2 other services (FTA BBC World and encrypted BBC Prime) on various other satellites although neither is intended for consumption in the UK.

PaulR

robinwad

Reaction score
So if there isn't any real change in direction and your digibox is still pointed at astra, why does it no longer work?

And what must you do to get it to work again. Apparently it's not a problem of the size of the dish since according to the signal test the signal is still pretty good?

I realize this has probably been already explained in other threads so if anyone could point me in the right direction?
thanks.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Are you saying tat you have a dish pointing at Astra from some time ago (pre 1999 when $ly digital started)?

If so then this is pointing to Astra 1 at 19E. $ly digital is transmitted from Astra 2 at 28.2E. You might be able to use the old dish if you can move it to the new position and aslo if it it has a universal LNB fitted (not all did by any means).

Although the downlead cable used for digital nowadays is better; the old stuff, providing water hasn't got in, should be good enough.

PaulR

robinwad

Reaction score
PaulR said:
Are you saying tat you have a dish pointing at Astra from some time ago (pre 1999 when $ly digital started)?

It was working until last year (I presume when the BBC sort of split from sky) - I'm only interested in the BBC channels - so it's still pointing to where Sky is. And what puzzles me is that according to the sky box which is still working the signal is fine so I guess (maybe I'm wrong) the dish is still big enough; unless the signal indicator is getting the sky signal and not the BBC. Is that possible?

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Ok robinwad, first of all where are you, what size of dish do you have and what were you using to receive $ly last year?

Also, why do you think the new box is working if you can't get any channels? When you say the signal is fine are you using the signal test in the service menu? If so it's not the signal strength that's important but the signal quality.

PaulR

robinwad

Reaction score
I'm in France near Grenoble. THe dish is 90cm and the box is a panasonic. I'm not sure of the LNB.

What I still can't understand is how different are 2B and 2D;
and do you really need to move the satellite or is it best to replace the box to get one that does free to air/view for the BBC channels.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
The BBC channels have moved to Astra 2D which has a smaller footprint.

This allows them to transmit in the clear and stops most user in Europe receiving the channels on small dishes.

That said, if your dish is large enough you should get them OK.

2D has a strange footprint in France the dish size varies from 60cm to 1meter.

You will find a simple graphic here, i have seen a more complex one and there are a couple of 60 - 90cm hotspots in France.

h**p://www.ses-astra.com/satellites/footprints.shtml

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
A 90cm dish is plenty big enough. I use a $ly region 2 dish near to Orange which equivalent to about a 70cm ordinary dish and I installed an 80cm standard style dish for some friends nearby. My setup fades 2D out in moderately heavy rain (it may have been blown by the wind though!) whilst my friends have no problem.

2B and 2D are in the same position in the sky (small s!) but gameboy gives a good explanation why you need a larger dish for 2D. As they are in the same position you don't need to move the dish.

PaulR

robinwad

Reaction score
Thanks for the info chaps I'm beginning to understand. Two more questions tho.

1. If I change the dish, is it better to change the LNB. And if so, does the quality/power vary much. WHat's the best make?

2. Does the box that you have vary in power and are there good/better/best ones. In France at the moment they're selling digital boxes in supermarkets for 60 euros...

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
robinwad said:
1. If I change the dish, is it better to change the LNB. And if so, does the quality/power vary much. WHat's the best make?

The LNB should be OK it should be universal. If it was working then attaching it to a new larger dish will help pull in more signal.

2. Does the box that you have vary in power and are there good/better/best ones. In France at the moment they're selling digital boxes in supermarkets for 60 euros...[I/]

Boxes have tuners and some are more sensitive than others. The difference this makes may be marginal.

A larger dish will help a better (low noise) LNB may also help but this should be checked before you spash out as the present one may be OK.

If the shop is 'Lidl' and the boxes are Comag (SL55?) then they are a great buy.

Make sure they are 'digital' as they also sell Morgan analogue boxes which are no use for digital.