Pace Ver.3 SKY+ box
1,20m Dish
Quad Invacom 0, 3db LNB

P4 3,4 ghz
1024mb RAM
Geforce 256mb 6800 Ultra
My Location
Sunny old Bristol
hmmm, maybe I am missing something. the only EPG I have goes up to 1 week in advance just like the normal EPG. Whats this extended EPG ?
After the 12 months are up you still have to pay the 10 pounds extra if you wish to receive the SKY+ functions. They can only turn these functions off if your box is connected to a telephone line. I reckon though if I said I didn't want these functions anymore and they tried turning them off as soon as they realised they weren't reaching my box they would probably deactivate the card entirely.
Methos.

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2xPace 430N, 1xNokia MM9800, 1xNokia 80cm Sat Dish, 1xGibertini 120cm, Big Fat Furry Puss
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
Dear Methos,

>hmmm, maybe I am missing something.

Probably. I certainly am :-)

the only EPG I have goes
>up to 1 week in advance just like the normal EPG. Whats this
>extended EPG ?

I contacted SKY in the UK and an Independent Sat Shop in London.

Sky said that you didn't have to have a phone connection. The Sat shop said the Phone Connection was to access the "extended" EPG (like TiVo).

If truth be told. Next ! Personally, I think its all cock-shit.
I have yet to get onto BBC Engineering (which I will) to ask how much schedule info is sent to SKY. AND, I don't believe for one moment that the BBC would, for one broadcaster, release a schedule two months in advance (think xmas).

>After the 12 months are up you still have to pay the 10
>pounds extra if you wish to receive the SKY+ functions.

Yet, thereafter, no phone connection is required - so what is the phone connection used for NOW. My own view - its as bogus as the requirement for a phone connection on an ordinary box NOW: only this time you paid for the box ? You can understand why I am confused.

Next. Sorry, I over-snipped your post. It was on about a phone connection and being disabled by SKY. I add:-

Software downloads via sat, card authentification via sat, upgrade/downgrade via sat - disable disc/SKY+ functionality by telephone ? I wonder ;-)

Have Fun,

Mark.

methos_de

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace Ver.3 SKY+ box
1,20m Dish
Quad Invacom 0, 3db LNB

P4 3,4 ghz
1024mb RAM
Geforce 256mb 6800 Ultra
My Location
Sunny old Bristol
Virtually everything SKY does is, as you put it, COCK SHIT ;-)
As long as SKY cant deactivate my SKY+ functions I'm happy. Mind you they could of course always turn off my card.
Methos.

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2xPace 430N, 1xNokia MM9800, 1xNokia 80cm Sat Dish, 1xGibertini 120cm, Big Fat Furry Puss
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
Dear All (Methos),

>Virtually everything SKY does is, as you put it, COCK SHIT
>;-)

Didn't quite go that far ;-) I just thought that the information handed out by all - amounted to such a conclusion; i.e., I want a car. - "is that with nine wheels or three, sir ?".

>As long as SKY cant deactivate my SKY+ functions I'm happy.

That's all that's important. I take it, then, that you don't have this extended-extended EPG that might just justify the GBP 10,- a month SKY want ?

Ah, ARPU (Average Revenue Per User) - SKY spoke about this only ON MONDAY !!

Have Fun,

Mark.

methos_de

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace Ver.3 SKY+ box
1,20m Dish
Quad Invacom 0, 3db LNB

P4 3,4 ghz
1024mb RAM
Geforce 256mb 6800 Ultra
My Location
Sunny old Bristol
No unfortunately I dont get the extenden one. Never mind, as long as I get the normal one and can record thats enough for me.
Methos.

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
Dear Methos,

So, to conclude (this is only for the benefit of me being slow) - basically you have a SKY box that can record programmes, correct ?

It is not connected to the phone, but, should have been for the first 12 months, whatever, next question.

So, for the priveledge of this mandatory phone connection (which you have :-) - and an additional fee of GBP 10.00 per month - er, what, exactly is the 'hook' ? I can record: great !!!!

I would rather SKY send me a six-pack of TDK 180E videotapes for GBP10.00 a month. I am slow. Very, very, sloew in-fact, but I am still slow enough to realise that someone is obviously taking you for a rather JOLLY ride: but, still, you are happy. Ouch.

Global Q: (sic) is everyone happy about this ?

I say again, since the box has to be bought 'outright' - that infers that there is no subsisdy for purchase; which can only mean that SKY are doing what they are already quite good at doing: increasing ARPU.

Uoochghhhr (just made it up - imagine i'm vomiting).

Have Fun,

Mark.

methos_de

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace Ver.3 SKY+ box
1,20m Dish
Quad Invacom 0, 3db LNB

P4 3,4 ghz
1024mb RAM
Geforce 256mb 6800 Ultra
My Location
Sunny old Bristol
exactly that. All I can do is record. I'm not actually paying 10 GBP more than I was before as I also took out 2 cheaper subs, 12 GBP each for the full package, and we all pay exactly a third. All in all I think we pay 68 GBP which is app. 23 GBP each and we all have the full package. Most people I know pay 34 GBP and cant record so I am very happy.
I used to tape everything aswell but as I work until 10pm the tapes I was using were getting pretty worn and I used to record in LP which is also not the best quality. When its recorded on the harddrive there is no quality loss and by films the dolby digital soundtrack is also recorded.
I wouldn't say I was being taken for a ride. My mates are happy as well as they also live in Germany and are getting sky for 23 GBP. The only other way to get SKY here is to pay the full price plus a fee on top for the company in Germany who supplies you everything.
Methos.