Skyplus in Europe

Neilynoo

Reaction score
Does anyone know if sky+ boxes can be used outside of the UK, or do they need the phone connection. I was under the impression that TV schedules are uploaded via the phone link rather than thru the dish broadcast, but others seem to have a different opinion. Are they useable at all or with reduced functionality, without the phone link.

be grateful for any info...

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I don't believe that it is possible at the moment due to the telephone connection requirement as you have mentioned.

Rolf

Neilynoo

Reaction score
Thanx Rolf..

So you're saying that they're not useable at all outside of the UK...?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
No Neilynoo, They will work outside the UK, but not with full functions and that being the case, it's not worth the added expenditure.

Rolf

Neilynoo

Reaction score
Ah ha..

That's the question...
In what respect are they useable?

I'm guessing that you can use them to watch normal broadcasts as with a standard digibox, and to record onto the hard disk manually? ie not by being able to do a timed record.

I guess you can also use them to start recording something that you're watching & you get a phone call or a visit etc, and then carry on watching from where you left off, ie again manually selecting to record.

But am I right?

Ta

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Yes I would assume so, but have not had the chance to experiment yet.

Rolf

E

erectorvision

if you get one of those gadgets which plugs into the back of your sky box which thinks its plugged into the phone line it will work outside the uk plus you can use all the sky games upto a max of 70 £ ish

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2xPace 430N, 1xNokia MM9800, 1xNokia 80cm Sat Dish, 1xGibertini 120cm, Big Fat Furry Puss
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
Functionality FULL with a SKY subscription in or outside the UK (depending on footprint of thus whence said satellites thereafter)

No dependence on a phone connection :-) That is still reserved for PPV /Interactive and Box Office movie stuff.

However, no SKY subscription - no functionality (i.e., normal dbox).

Have Fun,

Mark.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Thanks Mark, I must get hold of one of these to play around with, just a bit too expensive at the moment.

@ erectorvision, no need to buy the "little box", just connect to the normal phone line, but insert a prefix dial out digit in the dial out number to achieve the same.

Rolf

PS. Happy Christmas everybody. :)

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2xPace 430N, 1xNokia MM9800, 1xNokia 80cm Sat Dish, 1xGibertini 120cm, Big Fat Furry Puss
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
Dear Rolf and All,

Don't forget the software update that now limits the number of digits you can enter into the prefix field.

The default code is 01737. It is no longer possible to re-configure that field to dial, say, 00441737 ......

Anyway, for all things PPV you can simply phone them, as I did over christmas to upgrade my package (thought I would treat myself) - the German Schlager is (sic) marvellous.

Have Fun,

Mark.

Disclaimer: My previous post is based on info from SKY. IMHO, It would seem logical to use the EPG data already being feed to the box by satellite. Terestrial TIVOesque devices have no other way to get this info: except by phone.

I suppose we need a user to tell us what really goes on :-)

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
"The default code is 01737. It is no longer possible to re-configure that field to dial, say, 00441737 ......"

Hi Mark, are you saying that you can't add a single digit prefix? That's all you need to fool the system and make it think it's connected, if you can't, how does someone on a system with a dial out prefix operate?

Rolf

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
Hi Rolf,

>Hi Mark, are you saying that you can't add a single digit prefix?

How do I answer this ?

No, if it is in addition to the default entry of 01737; which, presumably, is the one which a typical UK domestic user needs.

>how does someone on a system with a dial out prefix operate?

Either a "get me an outside line! yesterday!!!" black box, or, a second phone line ;-)

Anyway, this situation doesn't help someone in living in europe where the prefix would be 0044 plus that 1737. I tried in Germany - when the prefix entry field allowed longer strings: it didn't work.

Have Fun,

Mark.

P.S. Further to my rants earlier, the first paragraph of the SKY+ terms and conditions - reads:

"You must keep your Sky+ box connected to a fixed and operational telephone line for at least 12 months. Additional charges may apply for non-standard installation."

So much for SKY then. As for the original poster - forget it. Unless there is a little black box out there somewhere :-(

Neilynoo

Reaction score
Hi Mark & Rolf..

I'm getting a bit confused on what the final decision was now that the discussion has moved on with talk of dial out prefixes & whether software updates allow or disallow them.

Mark.. You seem to be saying that assuming you have the sky subscription & aren't tied to having the sky+ box connected to the phone by virtue of any agreement with BskyB Interactive, then the box will work fine without the phone connection. Ie TV scheduling is broadcast rather than uploaded by the phone link.

Have I understood correctly.

Have you proved this by personal experience?

Be grateful for a definitive answer on this one.

Happy New Year everybody!!

Neil

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Hi Neil,

Sorry about the digression, I think Mark is saying exactly that. It would not appear to be like the Tivo where it downloads the EPG from the phoneline. Problem is that I don't know anyone that has one, mainly because those that are interested in satellite as a hobby have receivers and channels coming out of their ears, so don't feel the need to record anything.

Rolf

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
Dear Zall,

Stzarted zelebrating alriddy, hup. Just joking, albeit, I might crack open the whisky for a quick one: bugger it I am - where's that cola ?

I had started to formulate a definitive answer at about 10:00hrs this morning and then gave in - partly because I was rambling, but, mostly because I believe there is more to the eye than is first seen ;-) Read then I will explain.

Snipped in from this morning >

The definitive answer is: NO. Mostly due to the prefix dial of the box. If the box dials has to dial that exsisting prefix and THEN a number (believed to be held on your card) - the answer is NO it is simply not possible. Additionally, physical aspects of the phone network where you live may differ to that of the UK.

I tried making my normal digibox dial out on a number of ocassions, here in Berlin - when the software allowed for the longer prefix. Nup !

The box continually told me 'MODEM not connected'. And thus I conclude - that when a digibox is installed by an engineer, he/she phones SKY who then send a sat signal to the box to activate the MODEM, allowing it to dial out. I have no other reference/homework on this point, though.

All I know so far, is this (based on one SKY+ Box):

./ Sufficient Dial Prefix not possible in order to reach the UK (unless the prefix string in a SKY+ Box can accomodate a longer entry);
./ With subscription - the SKY+ Box must be connected to a phone line for 12 months (as quoted from the terms and conditions);
./ No subscription (incl. FTV card holders especially) - hard-drive disabled, expensive Digibox (known fact).
./ Telephone connection for SKY+ allows for sending of extended EPG data to box (up to 3 months) As explained to me just now by Parabolic Sat Comms, Finchley Road, London. 020 7431 4322. Panasonic TUDS30/31 299.00 and a Pace SKY+ 299.00 - reasonable :-)

Finish Snip >

I'll be honest, I can explain anymore. It really does seem to be terribly complicated. The bit about a user having two boxes (doubly-up subscription thing) must have BOTH Boxes connected to a phone line - makes my head spin.

Please go to http://www1.sky.com/skyplus if you haven't already and read the terms and conditions in the pop-up window.

Beyond that, come back and tell us how much of a doddle it all was :-)

Have Fun, but not toooo much tonight,

Mark.

methos_de

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace Ver.3 SKY+ box
1,20m Dish
Quad Invacom 0, 3db LNB

P4 3,4 ghz
1024mb RAM
Geforce 256mb 6800 Ultra
My Location
Sunny old Bristol
[updated:LAST EDITED ON 08-Jan-02 AT 03:48 PM (GMT)]Hi, thats not quite true. I live in haselund in north germany and have been using a SKY+ box since september last year. I had to have the recording functions activated over the phone line in England but since then I've had no problems. The EPG seems to be downloaded over satellite as by the normal digibox. I also have a normal digibox since august 2000 which was only ever connected to a british landline for the first two weeks and have never had any problems there either.
If you've got the possibility of having the SKY+ box activated in England I'd go for it. Mine was activated and less than 24 hours later sent to me in Germany.
Brilliant system. Although it is far too dear. I've got three subs all in all and we all pay exactly a third so I'm getting a pretty good deal at the moment ;-)
Methos.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
You've obviously proved by experience that you can run the Sky+ in Germany with no problem and I'm assuning that you received the interactive discount on the first box. It's known that the phone connection can be avoided as i know several UK based people who have disconnected it on principle, the only thing that would concern me about doing it with an out of the country box would be the possible cut off. If you are in the UK it's easy to conform and plug it in, if abroad, not so easy.

Rolf

methos_de

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace Ver.3 SKY+ box
1,20m Dish
Quad Invacom 0, 3db LNB

P4 3,4 ghz
1024mb RAM
Geforce 256mb 6800 Ultra
My Location
Sunny old Bristol
Yeah I got the discount on the first box. The problem I have is of course if I get turned off. I had a problem with my first SKY + box and had to send it to england. A right pain in the ass. All in all I was without SKY for 2 1/2 weeks ;-(
Hopefully though SKY won't be turning me off in the near future ;-)
Methos.

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
Dear All,

>The EPG seems to be downloaded over satellite as
>by the normal digibox.

>Methos.

I am glad that that fact has been clarified :-)

Mark.

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
Dear All,

>Yeah I got the discount on the first box.
>Methos.

Is that relevant to the SKY+ Subscription ?

Sharing Rolfs concern about the dial out senario, I hope for you that your box isn't instructed to do so. All the best :-)

Rhetorical Rambly Bit: You buy the box (i.e., no obvoius subsidy), You have to pay ?GBP per month for the 'Extended' EPG (as they put it) - but, at-the-end-of-the-day - you don't actually have to have the box connected to a phone at all ? Do you still have to pay the extra sub - after the twelve months is up ? Why is everything so complicated with them ! Why can't you just buy a CAM and sub and get on with it (head explodes).

Incidentally, Methos, do you have this 'Extended' EPG ? I think its up to two months AFAIWT.

Have Fun,

Mark.