Skyplus

B

billw

Skyplus is sold with a Quad L,N..B. Two outlets are for Skyplus,one for the receiver that
it replaces which leaves one spare outlet.As Sky is not known for over speciification
of it's products is this an indication that they may be considering entering into the internet
via satellite field? Has anyone any other suggestion for the extra outlet?

Regards

Bill.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Yes, unfortunately it's probably nothing more than the fact that there is not a triple LNB made, the Sky minidish quad is only an adaptation of an existing quad.

Rolf

B

billw

Dear Rolf,
I thought that might be the case but the minidish itself is unique to Sky and that
has been designed down to the most economic specification so that it is not
feasable to use it for anything other than Sky transmissions.By the same token Sky
could have decided that as they only needed two or maybe three outlets that would
be the L.N.B they would include in the package.The fact that they have decided on
a Quad seems to indicate that they might well have an ulterior motive.
Anyway its only conjecture on my part which I thought might stimulate an interestng
discussion..

Regards,

Bill.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
[updated:LAST EDITED ON 26-Sep-01 AT 08:33 AM (GMT)]Take your point Bill.

I know that they have spoken about Internet by satellite, but had discounted it for the present as satellite space is too expensive to make the sort of profit that Sky require and still charge out at a reasonable price, plus it's a limited market. Also the quad LNB allows for perhaps two Sky+ boxes or even one Sky plus and two standard boxes.

The point that I was making was that nobody makes a triple LNB, as far as I know, the LNB for the Minidish is purely a standard Quad but with a slightly different focus and pattern. To have an LNB made with three outputs would cost more money, as it would be very unlikely to sell other than to Sky customers.

Rolf

B

billw

Dear Rolf,
O,K.. I concede. Just wishful thinking on my part; I think that internet via satellite is the
next logical step forward and Sky .notwithstanding their many faults. have the entrepeunial
nous to take that step.

Regards

Bill.

dishdoctor

Hmm, now what seems to be the problem?
Reaction score
My Location
Torreblanca ,Malaga
Just a thought,the forth lnb outlet is to be used to feed a "normal" digital reciever from eurobird on the symbol rates and fec,that the digibox will not tune to..its a free offer from murdoch.
best of luck.. brian

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
There you go that explains it, bet you didn't think that Rupert was such a nice considerate man :)

Rolf

B

billw

The concept of Rupert as a philanthropist .Now that is a thought.Maybe its
the consequence of becoming a naturalised American.
Sorry that I have strayed from the subject but this concept is so ground breaking
that I felt it had to be recorded.

Regards

Bill. ;

zansi

Moderator & General Globetrotter
Reaction score
Website
digiboxes.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
Openbox F3 85cm dish H to H motor, Dell Vostro Laptop
My Location
North West UK
I still think he's a ARSHOLE

zansi

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
LOL....I didn't realise this was turning in to a meeting of the Murdoch fan club. :)

Rolf