Sky's "energy saving" standby "feature"...

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
I was just nosing through sky's website seeing what's happening with their on demand stuff (still lagging behind VirginMedia!!! Which can actually show you TV programmes on your TV on demand, rather than just on your mobile or PC...), and I came accross their "innovative new skyHD and sky+ Auto-Standby feature", but, if I remember correctly, all the boxes do is turn off the TV outputs!!! They still record, they still recieve signals, they still update their software in standby, so, essentially the boxes are still "on", so they still use the same power as they would when they were on!!! I really don't get this one bit... :confused

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1200cc with 100,000,000,000 neurons and 100,000,000,000,000 connections
My Location
Fife, Scotland
I believe a while ago someone measured a normal Sky box and it was only 10 or so watts less in standby than on - yea hardly energy saying.

It could be the Sky+ boxes have a bigger drop in consumption if they power down the hard drive completely when in standby and not recording. Or it could be an advertising ploy to make Sky look green...

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I've always said their green drive on Sky news was a tad hypocritical, given that it was not recommended to turn off the digiboxes at the mains. :)