chris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TalkTalk TV
My Location
Worksop UK
This is Hertfordshire reports that landlords in Borehamwood could face hefty fines if found broadcasting Premier League football via foreign satellite systems.

Hertfordshire Trading Standards is warning pubs that BSkyB and Setanta hold the exclusive rights to air Premier League matches in the UK and are reminding licensed premises owners that use of any other satellite system to broadcast games counts as copyright theft.

Guy Pratt, head of Hertfordshire Trading Standards, said: "Showing these games without a licence is the equivalent of stealing and will not be tolerated."
advertisement

Anyone found using such equipment risks having it seized as well as a fine of up to £5,000 or even imprisonment. Pubs broadcasting matches illegally also risk having their alcohol licence reviewed.

Mr Pratt said: "If you think buying cheap foreign satellite systems is a quick and easy way to boost profits at your pub, think again. It could cost you thousands of pounds, your livelihood and even your freedom."

But Morgan O'Brien, landlord of The Cannon pub, and chairman of Borehamwood and District Pubwatch, said landlords are being put under excessive pressure because of increasing legislation.

He said: "It's illegal trading, and no experienced pub-owner would do it. However, rates for BSkyB and Setanta are excessive. Pubs have been hit very badly recently with the smoking ban and the price of alcohol going up. I think some of the new stipulations and legislations are ridiculous."

The former landlord of the Shooting Star, in Rossington Avenue, Borehamwood, was fined £6,000 last May for broadcasting Sky illegally.

For more information on the Trading Standards legislation, call 01727 813849. For consumer enquiries, call Consumer Direct on 08454 040506.

betas

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m orbit dish stab v motor technomate 1500 ci diablo t rex cas 3
My Location
yorkshire
using a private veiwing card in a public place look for truble sorry to say its like pub should get togeter and get a good deal from sly

Bananas

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No sattelite at present. Thinking about purchasing but need to research first.
My Location
Cambs
Does anyone know how this law affects private members clubs where the club is effectively owned by its members who pay a membership fee, then elect a comittee to represent them who in turn appoint a club manager who decides to install digitalb because Sky is a rip off? Bearing in mind the recent referal by a judge to the European court? Is this illegal? If so who is liable, the members, comittee, club manager or all?

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Bananas said:
Does anyone know how this law affects private members clubs where the club is effectively owned by its members who pay a membership fee, then elect a comittee to represent them who in turn appoint a club manager who decides to install digitalb because Sky is a rip off? Bearing in mind the recent referal by a judge to the European court? Is this illegal? If so who is liable, the members, comittee, club manager or all?

A private club is still governed by the law and unless you use a SKY subscription which displays the glass on the bottom right of the screen then that is illegal. Installing Digitalb whilst still awaiting the full ruling is deemed to be illegal and puts the whole club at risk. The club will be treated as a club and the executive committee (chairman, vice treasurer, secretary and president) will be responsible for paying any associated fine from club funds. Failure to comply with payment may be handled in different ways, court summons of the executive officers, or bailiffs.

Bananas

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No sattelite at present. Thinking about purchasing but need to research first.
My Location
Cambs
Does the fact that there is no pint glass sign mean that Sky is definately being broadcast illegally? If an establishment is paying digitalb for their subscription to view their channels then where does Sky come into it? Is this not in part the basis of the referal to the European court? i.e Arn't the establishment in question simply part of the EU and paying another company in the EU a fee to provide a service? What actually makes this illegal? Does this law differ to the home user? If so why should it be any different?

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Bananas said:
Does the fact that there is no pint glass sign mean that Sky is definately being broadcast illegally?

You mean received illegally......In a club yes
Bananas said:
If an establishment is paying digitalb for their subscription to view their channels then where does Sky come into it? Is this not in part the basis of the referal to the European court?
Correct but is that establishment paying for a digitalb public license?, No I am sure you are not.

Bananas said:
i.e Arn't the establishment in question simply part of the EU and paying another company in the EU a fee to provide a service? What actually makes this illegal? Does this law differ to the home user? If so why should it be any different?

This has been beaten to death on many threads e.g. http://www.satellites.co.uk/satelli...-pub-owners-get-their-day-european-court.html but I doubt trading standards would be taking the action they now are (1st post in the thread) if they had no basis in law to do so.

scott1e

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sky HD
My Location
Wales
UK copyright law makes the use of foreign satellite systems to receive premiership football etc ILLEGAL to use. You could lose your license if prosecuted.

I run a pub, and around S. Wales it is used prolifically. But what happens to the sharp suited slick talking salesmen after they have promised you their system is legal and taken your money? They aren't the ones taking the flak because it isn't illegal to SELL the systems, just illegal to USE them.

A company that did the rounds was gs sports, promising everything from guinness premiership, heineken cup, prem plus etc etc. The cards you get though are arab cards which show next to nothing. By the time they are out of the door you are high and dry. Then overnight they change the company name and do it all again. BEWARE. They will tell you anything to get your money.

ynotdu

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sky digibox also U P C Ireland
My Location
Ireland
Hi,ya Scotty as topper said no drink glass symbol in a public showing is the proof to sky that a domestic card is being used(To many pub Landlords a big match brings hugh profits even though their subscription is MUCH higher)
Although I am no great fan of Sky,s antics,it has put so much money into English soccer it has made many stadioms MUCH safer for fans,surely a good thing ?
I know that when sky was Analog Their spys had a remote that caused the viewing card number to appear on screen,At least here Publicans paid the hard way! ;-)

scott1e

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sky HD
My Location
Wales
Im with Sky now, and really you pay for what you get. I was told the system was completely legal 100% and wouldn't have purchased a foreign system for public viewing if I had not been so convinced.

After speaking to other pubs which had been conned, I realised that it wasn't just me. It's not the lie about legality, it's when you are told you are getting the same coverage of sport (or more) than Sky, and then you are tricked with a card that doesn't live up to the promise (ART CARD).

In case any other people with a commercial interest in these systems read this, it just isn't worth it.

tozerhead

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky TV only.
My Location
Staffordshire.
Firstly I would like to apoligise because I have no real idea about this industry. I'm a pub owner and we show all the big games legally. It costs around £500 a month, which then goes straight in Mr Murdoch's pocket.

I've looked around on the internet and found various companies which offer alternatives to watching premiership football matches, UEFA cup and so on. BUT, from what I've read from this site, it appears that it's legal to sell this equipment, but illegal for the pubs to use them.

I just wanted to ask you brainy people out there whether there are any alternatives to watch big football games, but 100% legal. Are there any companies out there who can stream the signal out from the internet or any other similar things.

I know this has probably been discussed several times before, but I'm new on the internet, and haven't had much luck with the search tool.

Thanks to you all and good luck,

T

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Don't think you'd get the quality with streaming, but you would still face the problem of copyright.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
tozerhead said:
I just wanted to ask you brainy people out there whether there are any alternatives to watch big football games, but 100% legal.

Serving real ale, knocking 50p off the price of a pint on a Saturday afternoon, a live band and making sure the car park and garden is bike friendly.

Football on TV is not the only way to retain punters.

Status
Not open for further replies.