Skystar 1 / Nexus-S with Motorized dish and ART Sport?

ghostdeini

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+, Freeview, Dell 8400, Shoutcast / P2P TV.
My Location
mypc
hi guys,

i am a complete newcomer to all of this, so i hope you can answer some questions i have.

what i want is a satellite system that will let me watch lots of football from the top european leagues.

i am in london and i would prefer to have a motorized dish. i want channels which preferrably show games in english (although i dont mind foreign language when english is not an option).

in order to achieve this set-up for the most cost effective price, it appears that i will require the following:

1. Motorized dish 80cm with lnb (which motorized dish & lnb gives best balance between price & performance. any recommendations)?
2. Cables, leads, connectors (not sure about this, what exactly do i need)?
3. Skystar 1 / Nexus-S dvb card with CI slot & DiSEqC 1.2 / USALS (which one should i get and WHY? on the hauppauge uk forums i was reading many users having problems with nexus-s)?
3. Dragon CAM (i believe this will allow me to watch ART Sport / DigitALB or any other smartcard through the CI slot of the PC card right?)
4. ART sport / DigitALB smartcard or any others

i want to know whether i have got this right or not, are these things above what i need to set up my system correctly?

can anyone give recommendations or answers to the questions i wrote above in brackets ?

i want to know what the most cost effective solution is basically.

please help me out if you can.

thanks.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
I would suggest doing a fair bit of reading here in the various sections to get a feel for what you can achieve and how.

To get you going, and to reduce some of the many variables that you'll need to resolve, I would suggest some of the basic kit as follows :-

Triax TD88cm dish or Gemini 90cm dish, Moteck SG2100a or STAB120 DiSEqC motor and some quality CF100 or CT100 coax. You will also need at least 4 F-connectors for the two lengths of coax. One short length runs from the LNB to the motor, and the main length runs from the motor to the receiver.

As far as LNB's are concerned, I would go for the Invacom 0.3db. Slightly more expensive than some, but guaranteed top quality performance. Don't be a tightwad here.

Right, other than fixing brackets and poles, that just leaves the receiver. I'll let you do some of the work here, but you have many options.

If you are sure you want a card for your PC then the PCI cards you mention are good. If you go for the Skystar1, I would go for an an older older one with the optional CI reader add-on as although the new ones have the CI slot on the main card they don't have hardware decoding.

The Nexus-S is basically a re-badged SS1, and has reasonable support too. I think that they're all based on the older SS1, but I'm not sure.

Most common PC cards can run software add-ons (emu's or 'software CAM emulators') to allow you to obtain some pay-tv for free (illegally). If you don't want to do this then you are limited to those that support a card reader.

If you want to do it 'legally' (and have a much more reliable viewing experience) then a CAM/card such as those you mention is the way to go. It should be said at this point that it's not exactly 'legal' as those subscriptions are not intended for sale or use in this country.

If you want to go the CAM/card route, then personally I would recommend going for a set-top box with CI slot and probably the Dragon CAM. Better quality A/V, less hassle, smaller, neater, more reliable but ultimately not as flexible (ref. note re. PC software above).

Have a read, check my recommendations against the opinions of others, and enjoy your stay.

Check out the powerful and very useful search facility at the top of the forum. There have been many requests for information such as yours in the past, and there will be many more in the future. Each one tends to have a useful response!

STICK

:)

ghostdeini

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+, Freeview, Dell 8400, Shoutcast / P2P TV.
My Location
mypc
wow, fantastic reply mate.

i'll look into your suggestions.

thanks a lot.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton