SkyStar 2 0% Signal Out of Lock

chib

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate Super FTA 1000D, 85cm Digiquest dish,Skystar 2 card,Moteck SG2100A motor, Netgem i-player,Hauppauge WinToGo TV card
My Location
London,England
Hi all
I am currently trying to setup my sat system(SkyStar 2, 80 cm Digiquest Dish) which is currently pointing at 1W. I have a sat finder which to beeps away excitedly confirming I am picking up a signal but yet SETUP4PC stubbornly remains red and with 0% out of Lock signal. Does any 1 have any suggestions of why I am getting this...I have looked around and there seems to be very little information about.

Thanks

Chib

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
To show a lock, you need to ensure that you are, a)Pointing at the correct satellite and b)have a transponder setup that can be seen from the UK.

Which transponder do you have set?

chib

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate Super FTA 1000D, 85cm Digiquest dish,Skystar 2 card,Moteck SG2100A motor, Netgem i-player,Hauppauge WinToGo TV card
My Location
London,England
rolfw said:
To show a lock, you need to ensure that you are, a)Pointing at the correct satellite and b)have a transponder setup that can be seen from the UK.

Which transponder do you have set?

Hmmm ... looks like I have found my mistake. I have just had a look at the different sat footprints in that position and it looks like I can only pick up Thor 2 and 3 here in London. I have been using the 11421 H(Edusat) transponder which is on Intelsat 10-02 though I cant find the footprint for it though.

Chib

Edit: Found the footmap for Intelsat 10-02 and I should certainly be able to receive it here in London.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Yes, that transponder should be fine, are you sure that you are pointing at the correct satellite?

chib

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
London,England
rolfw said:
Yes, that transponder should be fine, are you sure that you are pointing at the correct satellite?

I am pretty sure its pointing in the right direction .....even went out and bought a compass to confirm it. Could this be a hardware issue ?Skystar is not happy with sharing irqs

There seems tp be little information about the card....I am considering returning the card back to Technisat

Chib

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
There is a wealth of information about the Skystar2, in fact it is probably one of the most popular cards, not surprising with the price.

If you can see a signal in Setup4pc, then the card is probably working, you have to be very precise with dish pointing, bear in mind that there is a satellite at 5E and 5W giving strong signals which are often mistaken for a 1W signal.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Dump DVBViewer and install MyTheatre V2.76 full from

_http://www.sat.joy.ro/download.html

Make sure your dish is aligned properly using a meter, and receiving a decent signal.

Try reloading the drivers (or try a later version, or even an older version - 4.28 works well).

Keep trying. It does work.

Also delete the shortcut to 'server4pc' or whatever it's called that gets loaded into your Windows startup folder for 'all users'. You don't need it for TV, only data (ISP).

STICK

Good luck.

chib

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
London,England
What I cant get my head round is why nothing is being registered on the signal status despite my sat finder picking up something.

Any suggestions of why I am getting this?

Chib
btw I am setting up my system indoors in front of large window facing the western horizon. Just add a picture of my setup ....I know dont even ask.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Have taken your post off of the other thread and merged it with this one chib, otherwise we will be going over old ground and I don't believe that your problem is with the SS2, rather your dish alignment.

You really need to make sure that you are pointing at a satellite, hearing an increased tone on the meter is not necessarily an indication of being dead on a satellite, it could be a reflected signal from a wall, or a satellite with feeds only.

If your dish is facing the western horizon, then it is too far to the west, it needs to be facing due South for 1 West, it also looks as if the elevation is too low for that sat.

Not convinced that you will get much through that window, unless it is conveniently facing the satellite you require.

chib

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
London,England
Thanks for merging my my posts together

Sorry I think I put up the wrong picture ..will correct then picture a bit later. The pic was taken when I set the Satellite to face 210 degrees and lowered the elevation slightly.

The elevation is I use for Thor is 30 degrees and the angle on my compass is on 180 + or - 2 degees.

I guess I will have to keep trying until I am able to pick up something up

cHIB

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Don't forget that the signal comes in from a lot higher in the sky than you might think, so physically lowering your dish to nearer the floor might give you a better chance. From the pic, it looks like the beam would enter somewhere near the top of the window.

LOL, not used to advising on window alignment though!

chib

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
London,England
Packing everything up and will watch my well spent £170 depreciate...

Tried continously for 3 days now and have been unsuccessful

Thanks everyone for your help.

but I have got one final question...

Microwaves have a narrow beamwidth and surely it does disperse when beamed from a repespective transponder. I guess that why there are rings of EIRPs of different DbW strength

I read somewhere that signal has a beam width of 3 degrees? How does this explain the rings then? or did the author mean locking onto the signal?

So my main question is how close inline does a satelite dish have to be with the transponder to be able to just pick up the signal (i.e not locking).

Cheers
Chib

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
About 1.5 degrees either way will lose all lock on an 80cm dish. Also make sure that the top of the dish is below a line 30 degrees in elevation from the top of the window.