SkyStar 2 PCI picture stuttering

nut

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Hello to all.
I have installed the SkyStar 2 with latest driver and software, DVBViewer, from the Technisat website. All appeared ok but FTA. So I installed the latest version of ProgDVB (4.62.4) and other items for its root directory and can now access other channels as well. However, every 5 to 8 seconds the picture momentarily freezes - sometimes the sound also drops out. This occurs when using ProgDVB but not DVBViewer. Reading other posts and suggestions I tried the following,
downgraded progDVB to 4.56.2 - no improvement
changed priority setting of ProgDVB in task manager - no improvement
killed all other background tasks - no improvement
incresed timeshift file size - no improvement.

I then performed a system restore to before any software related to the SkyStar had been installed and reinstalled the driver for the SkyStar pci. When I then installed ProgDVB it would not function stating 'device not started'. I came to the conclusion that I needed the setup/server4PC software installed to start the pci. I removed ProgDVB (again) and system restored. I installed the driver, setup/server4pc software and DVBViewer. At this point I noticed that although the picture and sound when using DVBViewer were fine, if I tried to play any MP3 files (Win Media player) they would also 'stutter' - system restore as before.

Finally installed the driver, setup/server4pc software without DVBViewer and progDVB thinking DVBViewer may be the problem. Still stuttering.
At this point, don't know why, I right clicked the setup/server4pc icon (bottom right of screen) and selected exit. This allowed ProgDVB to work with only the occassional blip every 5 - 10 mins or so. MP3 playback ok also.
Sorry for the long winded account but can any one tell me where I have gone wrong?
Does ProgDVB need Server/Setup4PC to initialise the pci?
Many thanks in advance.

P4 3.0Ghz
512 Ram
XP Home sp1
Don't have any other details to hand.

kalamar

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
Not that I know of,I have been at it for a while and have never used that. It sounds like a Timeshift problem,I use MT for recording as some have had problems with ProgDVB in this respect. I do little recording and never use the time shift functions. I do not recomend MT either as it is buggy. Maybe you should uninstall,and set it back with the orgginal drivers,then forget them and install ProgDVB and check all settings in ProgDVB as far as record and timeshift. Its not your computer at fault ,I use a Athlon 1.1 ghz cpu and have no problems.

nut

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Many thanks for your help.
I noticed that if the timeshift feature is used to delay the video by a few seconds, it no longer stutters. I'm not quite sure what the settings for the timeshift/record features should be, changed them quite a lot but with little effect. Could anybody recommend a few settings to try?
Once again many thanks in advance.

stan_drew

Reaction score
My Location
Bristol
Changing to ProgDVB 4.26.4 might help. I've had jumpy video problems with every version I've tried other than this one.
s

nut

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Thanks for your help.
Installed 4.26.4 and adjusted the timeshift settings, all appeared ok. So Tried 4.56.2 and again adjusted timeshift settings - working well!
When I had adjusted the timeshift settings previously, it was with version 4.62.4, this doesn't work well on my machine no matter what the timeshift settings are - don't know why.
With 4.56.2 I can record / timeshift even HD feeds (ASTRA HD promo 19e) without any stuttering or drop out problems.
More than happy!

kalamar and stan_drew - many thanks for your help on this, much appreciated,

Nut.

kalamar

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
4562 was the last of the original Progs versions after that have some kind of new fangled "ProgDVB Engine" and it looks experimental to me,not sure what the idea behind it is.