SKYSTAR 2 USB+Altdvb+DigiTv @ thor 1W

peaceandlove

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Tm3500usb, TM5400usb super, cas3, m2+,Diablo wireless 2.3rev,
Stab usualsHH90 driving arcon multi 57cm dish with dual feed ,Skystar2 HDCI, Altdvb, My theatre,vplug, windows xp,
Arcon sweety 43cm for astra1 perched behind window
Multimo 40cm for ho
My Location
Slough, Berkshire
Hi all, recently switched my dish from hotbird to thor/intelsat at 1/0.8W
According to lyngsat a 50cm-75cm dish should be suffice to receiving the spot3 beam carrying most of digitvs programming. i am currently using altdvb with latest vplug. I find that i can obnly tune into some of the dgtv channels, when i do a scan, the scan misses a lot of the transponders giving me a error message of either scan error or no signal, i just cannot understand why i can get some channels and not others. for eg i can tune into frequency 12563H but not 12563V and also i can not tune into 12643 horizontal or vertical. this means i camnnot see channels such as discovery or national geographic where they broadcast in english, i cannot tune in galaxy sport or digi film, seems most prgramming with english soundtracks i cannot tune into apart from national geograhic wild and the doQ channel. im desperate for discovery and national geograhic, thats why i abandned hotbird in search of english speaking docus.
i am using a 57cm arcon sweety multi prime focus dish which should give the performance of a 70-80cm dish. i was using a 40cm multimo prime focus with out much problem on hotbird, i first tried this 40cm for thor, but it was not strong enough, even thoufgh i could get some channels, but much more with my 57cm arcon. is there any reasonsd why i cannot tune into a lot of the frequencies, im using a dual output arcon sweety 0.2 decibel lnb. cannot figure it out as lyngsat does not indicate a bigger dish to be used. I am based just to the west of London in Slough.
does anyone think its a dish problem or a lnb problem. i am also using a arcon sweety 40cm for astra 1 no problems, and have this on a disecq with thor, would the disecq be possibly the cause, im confused as to why i cannot tune into alot of frequencies on thor.
any suggestions much appreciated. i must say in heavy rainpour i lose thor.
maybe i need a bigger dish?

stuboy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2.4m Precision Prime Focus Dish.
Dream 7020, V-Box II
Asus P5K E6570 (twin 2.66meg) CPU 8gig ram
Technisat Skystar2HD
DVBViewer, CoreAVC, VLC
Nebula DTT, 3.7.11
My Location
London
Yes I would say speakin from experience that you will need an 80cm or better still a 1m dish and put it on a diseqc motor, this will give you a LOT of choice.
If you check satcodx you can see that some transponders are 44 and 41dBs for Slough, 41 is deffo a 1m dish 44dB's will prob be ok on a 80cm but a 40cm NO WAY
I've got a skystar 2HD and am using DVB viewer. I'm about 20miles from you in west london.
Cheers
Stu