skystar pci or usb

4ever

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
whats the advantages and disadvantages between skystar2 pci and skystar# usb? can i use all the software that is available for skystar 2 pci with the usb type.

Satslut

Dumb Satellite Babe
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5500CIP
Force 1145S
Pace 2600
SS2 pci & USB
Channel master 1.8m
1.2m & HH motor
AMD 64 bit, Linux & Windows XP2
My Location
Ibiza, Spain
4ever said:
whats the advantages and disadvantages between skystar2 pci and skystar# usb? can i use all the software that is available for skystar 2 pci with the usb type.

I have tested both, and they do exactly the same, with one exception, there's no disqec control on the USB ( as pointed out by Rolfw.) The only advantage with a USB is that its portable and it works on laptops. The Technisat software is a different one for each, but use either DVB Dream or ProgDVB in just the same way. See http://www.sa-computer-systems.com for easy instructions

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
There is apparently a disadvantage with the USB version, it doesn't operate a DiseqC motor.

iwol

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
channel master 1.2m dish
technomate 6900,,and invacom 0.3 quad lnb
satlook micro
My Location
yorkshire
hi all, does the usb version decode the MPEG-2 4:2:2 format used in feeds because stand alone receivers dont and whos got the best deal in the uk for them regards to all.

farr

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Windows XP Professional, Skystar 2, TM5200D+ Super, 1m motorised dish [62E-58W]
My Location
York, North Yorkshire
iwol said:
hi all, does the usb version decode the MPEG-2 4:2:2 format used in feeds because stand alone receivers dont and whos got the best deal in the uk for them regards to all.

I'm not sure about 4:2:2 but I know the USB versions cannot be used for HDTV reliably since the bandwidth of USB is not enough for the HDTV MPEG2 stream to be passed back to the PC via the bus. As for the best deals, Skystar 2's often turn up very cheaply on eBay or, if you don't mind waiting, www.dvbshop.tv have a good reputation for being cheap and reliable.