Reaction score
Website
koizo.sourceforge.net
My Satellite Setup
[ Relook 250S ]
My Location
Madeira
Hi folks.
I have a Skystar2 + ProgDVB + softcam package running smoothly, but I beem experiencing signal loss on my USB DSL modem. I read somewhere that some people get a similar problem using a 56k modem, the problem being related to the Network Connections on control panel.

- I have tried to disable the SS2 as network pci card, but the driver doesn't allow it.
- Used the S4PC program on startup as normal, but the line keeps droping
- Took S4PC away, but the line keeps droping
- Exchanged modem, but the line keeps droping
- Did a new XP install, but the line keeps droping
- Installed the newest chipset and modem drivers, but...
- Been complaining to my ISP for about a month, they keep saying I have everything 100% ok

When I say that the line keeps droping, I mean that for 1sec I get no signal at all. 10 secs latter I'm surfing at full speed like nothing happened. There isn't a padron, it drops after 1, 2, 4, up to 8 hours.
Is this some kind of problem with the drivers, what am I doing wrong?
Please help! :(

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I have heard of several people experiencing similar problems, but not always due to the Skystar, some of these USB modems draw too much power and if you have other USB devices connected can malfunction. The easiest (yet more expensive) way around this is to get yourself a modem/router and connect via ethernet port, this would of course also make life easier for connection of other PCs/Dreambox/IP Phone to the network.

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
Would an additional USB2 card not help? They are fairly cheap and would reduce the load on the USB if you got several things running on USB

Prophessor

Folding*home
Reaction score
Website
koizo.sourceforge.net
My Satellite Setup
[ Relook 250S ]
My Location
Madeira
Those are all good points and I have to try some of them. Well, my mbo has 8 usb ports, 4 are available, 4 are in use, of those 4 only 1 is drawing power all the time. I have tried 2 different usb modems, but still have the same problem, really have to try a modem/router.
ATM I can't find the time to do some more experimenting, but thanks for your input I'll put it to good use.

kamaleon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
skystar2 pci skystar usb + porty lidl camping dish maybe one day i'll have a dreambox 500s...
My Location
str8 frum da wesside innit?
I'd suggest two things (maybe they're worth nothing, but here they go:)

give your skystar a fix ip adress

try pluging it into a externally powered usb hub

Prophessor

Folding*home
Reaction score
Website
koizo.sourceforge.net
My Satellite Setup
[ Relook 250S ]
My Location
Madeira
I will read those posts, I think did it before but could have missed something. About the modem/router, one portuguese user has one and is experiencing the same problem. One of our mods sugested, among other things, to move the router as far away as possible from the pc case. Seems to have helped that user, but did nothing for me.
I think technisat is aware of this problem, so just to check them out, I wrote them an email. If I get an answer I'll post it here.
Anyway thanks, I'll give it another go. :-bash

Prophessor

Folding*home
Reaction score
Website
koizo.sourceforge.net
My Satellite Setup
[ Relook 250S ]
My Location
Madeira
Solved my problem and killed two birds with one stone. My usb modem was at fault, there was something wrong with it so I send it down the garbage shoot, really hated that mofo! Got a cheap ass modem\router and now my dsl line is solid as a rock and its better looking too.
Thanks for everyone's help.

kamaleon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
skystar2 pci skystar usb + porty lidl camping dish maybe one day i'll have a dreambox 500s...
My Location
str8 frum da wesside innit?
nice to hear that mad prophessor ;)