Skystar2 Motorised setup

chib

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate Super FTA 1000D, 85cm Digiquest dish,Skystar 2 card,Moteck SG2100A motor, Netgem i-player,Hauppauge WinToGo TV card
My Location
London,England
Hi all ,
This is my first post so be gently with me.

I'm a newbie to the satelite world and planning to setup a system very soon. I am intrested in getting Motorised Skystar2 system.

My question is how is the Diseqc Motor connected to skystar? I can't work that out given that skystar2 has just one output.

If the motor is driven directly does it mean that the Diseqc Motor does not require an external power supply

My apolopgies for sounding so random

Cheers

Chib

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
The diseqc motor is both controlled and powered by signals/power sent along the single coaxial cable that plugs into your SS2.

No mess, no complication, no external power supply, no extra holes in your wall!

Diseqc is good for dishes up to around 1m max. if it's in a reasonably well sheltered location. The coax goes from your SS2 to the motor input, then the motor output goes to the LNB via a short 'patch' lead.

You will need a plugin for your SS2 to control the motor, as it does not naitively support diseqc 1.2 (the version required to drive dishes).

When you're ready, come back and we'll sort you out. Alternatively, search it out yourself. It's called SS2DiSEqC.zip, and you want version 1.7.

STICK

chib

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate Super FTA 1000D, 85cm Digiquest dish,Skystar 2 card,Moteck SG2100A motor, Netgem i-player,Hauppauge WinToGo TV card
My Location
London,England
Thanks for the reply. So how much power is drawn from the Skystar or does the motor contain an amplifying circuit to amplify the pulse sent from the card.

BSTICK I have read on several forums that a patch software can be attached to ProgDVb(Think so) to enable it drive a DIseqc 1.2 protocol Motor

I ve also noticed on motor descriptions that diseqc motors can hold a store a certain amount of position. What exactly does this mean as I thought the positions were stored in either a positioner or in the software used to drive the motor

Cheers for your help in advance

Chib

NB: what do the numbers infront of an LNB name stand for i.e 0.3 and 0.6mm?
The higher the better??

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
The specifications of your motor will tell you how much power it requires, and the spec. of the Skystar2 will tell you what it's capable of supplying. In reality, the Skystar is capable of supplying the power, but it's close to it's limit.

Loads of people do it without any problems, myself included. Check the specs if you want the figures.

Most diseqc motors are USALS compatible. That means that the motor can store many satellite positions. Read up on USALS if you want to know more.

The dB figures stated for LNB's are noise figures, in decibels.

Generally speaking, the lower the better for LNB's, but some manufacturers are more economical with the truth than others, so don't take it as 100% accurate when comparing. 0.3 is very good.

I like Invacom LNB's but there are several other excellent manufacturers.

STICK