Skystar2 - Problem with BER

Papegeno

Reaction score
Hello all,
I have just installed my Skystar2 but, although the signal quality indicator shows
a level of about 50%, a I have a S/N of 8 dB and a BER of xxxxxxxE03, with several
incorrect blocks. Moreover, sometimes I see the signal going down to 0% for a moment.
I cannot understand if it may be due to the dish, even though the signal level is not
so low. I tried to aim the dish, but I could not get a signal level better than 50%...
Any ideas?

Thank you for your help

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
A bit more information would be helpful Papegeno, what software are you using, which satellite are you aiming at, which transponder are you using to set up on?

Papegeno

Reaction score
You are right. I have a 80 cm dish, aiming at Astra; single LNB, no DiSEqC.
The lenght of the cable is less than 7 mt. Tried almost all trasponders, but none yields more than 55-60% of signal, and many of them no signal at all. SW version I am not sure what is, I will check this evening at home, but sure it's not the latest. I was just thinking to install release 4.2.11 that, I think, should be the latest. What else? Ah, I live in Rome, in a country place, with no obstacles at all.
Do you have any suggestions? Thank you

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Thanks for the added information, by software, I meant what actual software are you using to search with, ie: DVBViewer, ProgDVB, MyTheatre etc.

I found that Setup for PC was quite good for alligning the dish, you can set up an individual transponder in there. You need to make sure that the transponder you are using actually has digital channels on it, there are a lot of transponders on Astra which have analogue channels.

Are you sure that the dish is actually pointing at Astra 19.2?

Papegeno

Reaction score
Thank you for your quick response. I didn't pay attention to the program that came in bundle with the SS2, if it is important I will see it this evening. I check the status of reception using its setup tool (Setup4PC). I wanted to install ProgDVB, or maybe MyTheatre, but if I cannot fix this problem I don't think it can help somehow.
The dish has been installed by a technician, and - yes - it's aiming at Astra 19.2, but I am not sure if it is correctly aiming. As I said, I even tried to make adjustments, but 50% is the best result I can get. None of the trasponders I tried gave a better result.:confused
Thanks

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
It will cost you nothing to install either ProgDVB or MyTheatre anyway, their transponder lists will probably be uptodate, so may be better.

If the dish was set up by an installer, it should be there or thereabouts.

Papegeno

Reaction score
Ok, thanks Rolfw. Il will install ProgDVB anyway, after upgrading the drivers to the latest release, and see if I get better results.
I will post again then to let you know.